PA speakers for home use

Emile

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Seriously thinking about a new box :) 

Does it have the fuzz on it?

You could clean up the looks quite a bit if you could put some kind of grill on it.  PE offers DIY grill frames and you can buy some cloth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

That's a beautiful setup, Emile!  I bet it sounds very nice!

I would catch some serious wife aggro if I tried that in the living room.  *<;o)

Thanks ... yes sounds pretty good ... have Cornwall's in the rear also :D  Wife has OK'd it (without the Yammie). Have to pour her a lot of wine though :D So think I''l put the Yammie in a walnut (or mahogany) box :) 

Have some mahogany ply left ... think I have enough for the sides and the top (can't see the rest anyhow :) . Thinking box with a closed section for the woofer and open back for the horn.  Also have some Heritage cloth left :)  Waiting for the woofer specs so I can determine the needed closed volume.

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Does it have the fuzz on it?

YEAH ... it's called "rat fur" :( Cannot mention "rat" to my wife or it will be in the trash.  So; new box ... have some heritage cloth left over  also :D 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

but this sure blends fairly well with the La Scalas. The audyssey config certainly helped things overall  vs the other night 

I think Audyssey is at its best when making speakers of different makes and efficiency play nicely together.

• Like 1

After 2 days, finally found the woofer model ... Yamaha JAY51200.  No luck on detailed specs so I can find the proper size for a "box." Emailed Parts-Express and Yamaha. Hope I'll get a response :) as I hate to just "guess" :D 

Well I survived the weekend with it in place.. my ears/brain are still adjusting, but I managed to build a proper cable and get that run through the wall so there's no unsightly mess. Haven't figured out a solution for the TV stand yet (so I can move it back flush with the TV and LS's), and next steps will be some fresh paint on the grill and corner protectors, a rat fur shave, and to replace the eyelets with flush bolts.

Morgan isn't in love with it, but after a few movies she seems to be generally ok with it.

• Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, Emile said:

After 2 days, finally found the woofer model ... Yamaha JAY51200.  No luck on detailed specs so I can find the proper size for a "box." Emailed Parts-Express and Yamaha. Hope I'll get a response :) as I hate to just "guess" :D 

I'd use this.

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/pro-audio/eminence-beta-12a-ii-12-woofer/

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'd use this

Thanks! Yes; @joessportster gave me the link a little earlier :)  Will use it if I can't find anything else ... it's a "replacement" speaker ... also it is less than 1/2 the price of the original Yammie speaker ???? ... so; is it "close" ????   Or; as a last resort ... I can calculate the "original ported volume," then take say 70% of that for the minimum closed volume.  Haha :D  Just have NO CLUE how sensitive speakers are to "volume." (Shooting for the smallest box size due to WAF.)

Thanks, Emile

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Just have NO CLUE how sensitive speakers are to "volume."

The volume of the box acts like an air spring to protect the driver.  If the box is too big there's not enough air spring pressure to stop the movement of the driver which could lead to overexcursion and damage the driver.  If it's too small it could reduce the output and performance of the driver.

• Thanks 1

OK :D Redesign :D  Was going to make a horn/woofer box with ONLY the woofer section sealed.  Due to geometry it results in a box the same size as the original ported one.  So; will just make the "whole" box sealed ... seems like an easier (and smaller) solution :) 

Just to show I am not an idiot :D  ... just confused in building an enclosure. Another "recommended" replacement for my Yamaha JAY51200 speaker is the Eminence Delta Pro-12A. But ... recommended "sealed" box size is 0.54 cuft or less than half the size of the other recommended replacement ... Haha ... Maybe a bottle of wine will help :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

Looks like I found a solution for mine. I had gutted and modified an old record player console as a TV/AV stand back in the day, but since moved it to the garage after getting larger TV's and moving my gear to a closet. Did some quick testing and it looks like the speaker will fit inside with plenty of room to adjust angle towards the LP. The front is entirely open, so I'll get some grille cloth from B.Crites and cover the whole thing, add a fresh coat of paint, a wider top for my TV and Bob's yer Uncle. It raises the TV about 4.5", but .. worth it.

• Like 2

I can see this working. Was out of town a few weeks ago and the pub I was in was running background music through a newer set of EV pa speakers that were the house speakers for visiting musicians. Actually sounded better than some home speakers I have heard. I can also see the appeal to Klipsch lovers as some of the classic models share many characteristics with good PA speakers.

• Like 1

For me it wasn't an issue of whether or not a "PA" speaker would work.. I certainly knew better than that. My concern was the mixing and matching of make/model across the front stage - I've spent enough year advocating against it and I was concerned it would sound horrible. I'm sure you could pick out some differences, but it's certainly not horrible, especially with room correction and EQ.

• Like 2

Part 1 complete.Behold, my wall of black. I've got a piece of MDF that is cut to fit along that front surface and will carve out hole for about 90% of it and then cover with fabric from Bob Crites to closely match the La Scalas. I'll take off the metal woofer grille at that point as well. The speaker fits in perfectly and has enough room to slightly angle up towards the MLP.

IMG_0015.thumb.jpg.cf195ffbf43051a358516dab0ca770e2.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 5/24/2018 at 3:47 PM, YK Thom said:

I can see this working. Was out of town a few weeks ago and the pub I was in was running background music through a newer set of EV pa speakers that were the house speakers for visiting musicians. Actually sounded better than some home speakers I have heard.

Always wondered about the difference with home and pro, so I asked Roy and he say he doesn't design differently for either.

I would guess maby some of the pro stuff may handle more power ?  To me if it sounds good I don't care what they call it. 

• Like 3