Speaker Cable question

JCturboT

Last I seen they had the Slate cables for 60% off. I nearly ordered a 8ft pair but am going to wait. Have also been looking for a used pair of Nordost Blue Heaven that Allan suggests. But for that price it might be hard to pass up the Slates. They do have a 30 day money back guarantee so you can't lose really.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question-mabybe edster or anyone with K-horns can answer...

Is the connections on the Klipschorns crossover also of the small size not unlike the Cornwalls speaker connection? or will a regular size spade 1/4" or larger be ok?

I want to know just in case I order those AudioQuest cables in the future.

Jeff

If my memory serves me right, they have the same type screw terminals.

btw, I will repeat, you can do a lot better with other speaker wire choices over AudioQuest, something to really consider, sale or no sale.

I would opt for the smallest spade with if you dont change to binding posts. As for good binding posts, the long post Cardas are EXCELLENT (which you will need considering the thickness of the wood if going with the CW).

A good deal is hard to pass up. I ordered a pair of Slates from AA to try out. Heck, they have to be better then my aging Monster Cables. If you call AA you can have them terminated any way you want BTW.

FWIW - You can order these in a biwire config for an extra $20, which is nice.

Mobile - Have you tried any of their newer stuff or is your experience with just the older models? If you care to make some SPECIFIC recommendations on cable, I'm all ears!

- tb

After speaking with Joe from AA, this is the older Slate cable (round) as opposed to the new cable which is flat and looks like the Bedrock. Evidently, they have about 2000 feet of this stuff in stock and are making the cables from order. I'm considering a 12 foot bi-wired pair with small spades on the speaker end and banana's on the amp end. This is $140 delivered (10' is $130 delivered) and seems like a very fair price. I would think you could get your money back on AudiogoN if you don't like them.

This would also allow me to swap the cables at the amp ends of my HT and 2-channel systems without messing with the speakers (it's tough right now with those big 'ole Altec 511B's sitting on the La Scala's) and allow me to carry just one set of wire for both systems. Hell, right now I'm using Home Depot 12ga for my 2-channel rig and it sounds incredible. Surely this must be an improvement...

Mike

From what I understand there is something about the copper in the newer wire that sounds superior to the older copper that mobile must have heard. Just ask anyone whom has recently spent good money on new wire. HELL YES! they sound better! 9.gif

Keith

Mike, why not go for the small spades on the amp side as I believe these will do fine in the Scott terminal strips and also offer a MUCH better connection than bananas, especially bananas that THEN use another small spade, thereby having TWO connection points. The AQ small spades are a lot like the adapters you have. IT would make good sense to get the small spades for possible use with other amplification down the line.

mobile,

Because this wire would be used for both my HT and 2-channel systems, the banana's at the amp end would be the way to go. I have no access to the back of the Scott or the back of the Acurus, where the wire would be plugged in. I certainly wouldn't be able to tighten down the spades with a screwdriver. I could however just plug in a banana without too much effort. If these were just staying with one system then I would definitely opt for the spades all the way around...

Mike

My apologies but I am going to ask this again:

While we are on the speaker cable topic...does anyone have any experience with Hovland nine-line cable? It is their "bargain basement" line of speakers cable. I am looking for a shorter run of speaker cable since I have my monoblocks so close to my speakers (there is a 4' bi-wire pair of the Hovlands at AudiogoN right now).

TIA!

Well, I can tell you I know nothing of that Hovland cable besides some things I have read.

I would like to add an interesting observation that you can take or leave as it conflicts with a lot of popular opinion in the cable world. As I have had monoblock amplifiers of one kind of another the past 13 years or so, one of the first things I did was go for super short speaker cables as everything I had read said to go SHORT on the speaker cable. I auditioned 3-4ft lengths of more than a few types of wire. Strange as it sounds, I actually preferred over 5ft lengths of speaker cable in all but the BEST cable! For some odd reason, the 3 ft lenghts of any of my DIY Cable on to the pretty good brands sounded less relaxed and more forced. IT was a strange phenomena!

Then I much later read Van Den Hull mentioning the fact that is if you have less quality speaker wire, to go with LONGER lengths! Interesting. I found this true all the way through the AudioQuest cable I had as well as Kimber 4TC, 8TC, Cardas Quad-Link etc. etc.

Where does the cutoff lie? It seems 6 feet is about where I noticed a difference. OF course, 95% of the people here will want to throw me into the Atlantic as this sounds patently absurd. So be it. Besides, the water feels damn good this time of year...

Mobile, The Kimber 4-8tc were also cables I was considering. After talking with AA and a few others they thought the kimber might be a tad lively for my setup. That is my biggest complaint/fault with my system is it's a tad bright at very loud volumes when playing cds. AA told me the Slates are much more laid back in there presentation of the high frequencies and would probably be a good match. Plus at this price I can get an 8' pair for 80 bucks. And NO i'm not getting a new amp yet. Thanks for the number on that marker by the way.