WTB Active Crossover

rplace

Warning I have no idea what I am doing:biggrin:

I'm looking for another rabbit hole to go down. After reading lots of @Chris A 's posts I'm kind of partial to Xilica. Initially I just want to play around with a 2-channel 2-way speaker system, but long term I'm thinking I'd like to incorporate my home theater if possible.

Please let me know if you have something you are not using and interested in selling.

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, rplace said:

Warning I have no idea what I am doing:biggrin:

Going to an active crossover set-up may not be as easy as Chris A makes it look, but he will probably offer you lots of help, so choosing a brand and model that he recommends will be a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Going to an active crossover set-up may not be as easy as Chris A makes it look, but he will probably offer you lots of help, so choosing a brand and model that he recommends will be a step in the right direction.

Thanks. Chris was super helpful when I was on the fence with some Jubes up in Canada. I hesitated too long. I've been itching to try something different and made the first leap this past weekend. Now I need some drivers, and active XO, some time and some knowledge. Hoping it is a fun ride and come out the other side a bit smarter on what is going on before things hit my ears.

13 minutes ago, JustAuBy said:

I have an Electro-Voice DC One (2in / 6 out) active crossover with DSP if you're interested.  I'd let it go for $400. 

I'll do some digging on this model and get back to you.

Hey Ron.  You are looking at a 2 way setup can I ask what you are setting up IE what will the top be Compression horn, full range, or ?  I am running a 2 way set up now myself but my top end is full range and i use a pair of 12's to supplement the bottom end below 80HZ I use the Crown XLS 1002 which has built in DSP so no extra components in the mix.  But the highest you can cross the Crown is 3000Hz

So if your crossover point is to be anywhere between 20 and 3000 HZ you could use 1 XLS 1002 for each channel

Just throwing out a fairly cheap option, I have no idea how the crown sounds above 100HZ as I have never used it above that but I am sure someone could chime in, I do know its clean and quiet for my purposes...................Warning once you get Bi-Amp dialed in it is really hard to go back

56 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Hey Ron.  You are looking at a 2 way setup can I ask what you are setting up IE what will the top be Compression horn, full range, or ?  I am running a 2 way set up now myself but my top end is full range and i use a pair of 12's to supplement the bottom end below 80HZ I use the Crown XLS 1002 which has built in DSP so no extra components in the mix.  But the highest you can cross the Crown is 3000Hz...

Joe, assume you are directing this at me (Rich ;)). I picked up used Oris 150 horns, no drivers (he had a buyer for them). I started a thread here to seek help with how I pull it all together. Please chime in as you see fit. https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/177191-2-way-active-ht-set-up/

This is directed TO Rich, FROM Rich(ard)  :P

My understanding is the EV unit is a nice unit.

I've seen the DX-38 for sale around $300 so getting the replacement for $400.....strikes me as a good price. When I bought my (now discontinued) DX38, I think I spent about $1,200 on it.  Dumbazz me didn't even think about buying used....  bought a second one later on for $450.

The Xilica seems to be a nice unit, then again, I never had any sonic issues with the two DX-38's that I have.  I don't profess to be a critical listener....  as long as my toes are tapping, I'm a happy camper.

Now someone here (Mark1101) will tell you that there is some merit in getting a unit that has as many inputs/outputs that you can afford because you are going to be 'future-proofing' yourself if you do that.

I totally agree.

I had the two DX-38's and needed more if I wanted to go active across my front.  Decided that was nuts so yanked them and replaced them with a 4-in, 8-out Xilica so I could have 4-channels for the 2 Jubilee's, 2 more channels for the (anticipated) biamped center JubeScala (parts in garage, wife laughs when I mention building it and bringing it i) and then two more channels for the two Danley subs I had (sold one so now down to one)

The LaScalas in the rear would stay passive.

Figured it would be a lot easier to do that via one unit than multiple.

The $400 includes a laptop pc with the i/o software from EV to control the unit as well.  It runs windows 7 as this is what the software from EV was made for and is easy to use.  In my experience you can not use Windows 10 with the software.  You can also use the front panel to make your changes if you prefer.