MEH Synergy

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Thanks man.   They are really nice in person.   I think I'm gokgn to try the "doubling up of speakers" once these sell.   Never seen or heard two pair of speakers in a hifI system before (I have heard a quad setup in the studio that was amazing) 

While that might be impressive from a chest thumping "wall of sound" aspect, it will be as far away from accurate as you can imagine. I'm no expert, but I would imaging comb filtering would be present.

Give me one good pair of speakers in a room at a time. No more, no less. No double stack, no center channel, no rear surrounds. None of that crap for me, thank you.

Shakey

Oh, and good luck with your sale, LOL.........

• Thanks 1

I was wondering about the comb filtering myself.... Can someone answer me this, which is very important to me.  If I place a pair of heresys in between my forte IIIs, will the stereo imagine suffer?  I know it will sound incredible, but if imaging and the proper stereo image suffer, I'm out.   Is there a better option than in between?   Thanks. 

Just now, Westcoastdrums said:

I was wondering about the comb filtering myself.... Can someone answer me this, which is very important to me.  If I place a pair of heresys in between my forte IIIs, will the stereo imagine suffer?  I know it will sound incredible, but if imaging and the proper stereo image suffer, I'm out.   Is there a better option than in between?   Thanks. 

Unless you run a processed mono signal to a center channel speaker, I don't think there is any way you wouldn't screw up imaging. It's all an illusion, but based on sterophonic processing. I just think it would be a mess.

Shakey

I hear ya and that may be true. I have no idea.   I will say, you were correct, these Forte IIIs are AWESOME in smaller rooms.   I had full blown Crites klipschorns in here for some time and was just never happy with them.   I of course had to try them and knew it wouldn't be ideal.   The dual speaker setup peaks my interest. 

18 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

It depends on how the signal is processed.  If you are running a stereo signal then I think L/R is the way to go.

If you are running stereo with an AVR processing then you have L signal, R signal and a combined L/R in the center.  How this affects the imaging I don't know.

I think L/C/R works best with an AVR which is processing discrete L/C/R signals like you would find in 5.1.  In my setup that means most of the music (or movie sound) comes out of the L/R and vocals come out of the center.

+++

Comb filtering:  No doubt it is a real thing in physics but in the real world does it make a difference?  The anecdotal stories I have heard from most people running dual center speakers indicate great sound with no apparent problem with comb filtering.  @teaman just set up a dual center rig and he said he was thrilled with the sound.  Maybe he will weigh in and answer any specific questions about his setup and its sound.

In your particular case I would suggest run dual center speakers and see how it sounds to your ears, in your living room with your ears.  If you think something doesn't sound right, go with a traditional single center and see how it sounds.  Your reality will be correct, not someone else's theory.

• Like 1

My setup is a Parasound P5 Preamp and parasound a23 amp.  Dedicated stereo only rig, I could care less about surround sound and watch movies in stereo.   I am a 90+% dedicated music enthusiast who could live the rest of life without TV or entertainment content if that paints a decent picture.   The problem is, the heresys would only be about 3 feet apart.  Not sure if that is an issue.... The fortes thunder and the heresys have more of a tight quick punchy bass that I feel in my mind might be an amazing combo. 

Yep, I just set up a pair of Klipsch KP-201 dual centers between my KP-250 ii's and they sound amazing. No more struggling to hear the dialogue during quiet scenes. It really added an entirely different dimension to the sound. No problems with comb filtering that I have heard at this point, although it has only been a couple of weeks since i implemented the second center.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teaman said:

Yep, I just set up a pair of Klipsch KP-201 dual centers between my KP-250 ii's and they sound amazing. No more struggling to hear the dialogue during quiet scenes. It really added an entirely different dimension to the sound. No problems with comb filtering that I have heard at this point, although it has only been a couple of weeks since i implemented the second center.

That's fine. But I contend that home theater and two channel music are two different animals. One is a beautiful stallion, the other a pink unicorn. Guess which is which......

Shakey

28 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

That's fine. But I contend that home theater and two channel music are two different animals. One is a beautiful stallion, the other a pink unicorn. Guess which is which......

Shakey

to me, it's all in the eye/ear of the beholder.  just imho, that all.

59 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Shakey

I think you can see from my equipment signature I have no shortage of either. I don't use home theater for two channel and I don't use two channel for home theater.

Tim

21 minutes ago, teaman said:

I think you can see from my equipment signature I have no shortage of either. I don't use home theater for two channel and I don't use two channel for home theater.

Tim

That's good. Because when you mix the two, compromises will be made. But you already knew that.....😑

• Like 1