Help with Integrated Amp under $1,000

snooka3000

Yeah, I noticed that damping # on them. That is a big number. 👍 It puts the 3000 on my K2 to shame.😢  Must upgrade! 

As you are no doubt aware. A bridged K2 puts 2500 watts, so the specs say and is supposed to be quite good on da bass. A bit cheaper too.

As you are no doubt aware. A bridged K2 puts 2500 watts, so the specs say and is supposed to be quite good on da bass. A bit cheaper too.

I am very aware and have owned those as well.... The low level turn off is annoying.   No offense, but to me there is ZERO comparison between the two amps (although the K2 is an AWESOME amp for the money) . The crown macro reference is the best amp I have ever heard on subs/woofers.   I was biamping my Legacy Focus with them and I still hear from friends that I made a stupid decision to scrap that setup.    That setup was genuinely too large for my current small room. They need room from back and side walls, space apart as well. I don't have it.  

• Like 1

Yeah, my 18" EV subs are kinda lame with 500 watts of K2 power or 500 watts of EP4000 power......but when I put 1200 watts of Macro power into them they absolutely came alive and sounded pretty good, too. That was 1200 watts at 8 ohms! I never did try bridging them.

Since then I've gone the horn loaded route and haven't looked back. A little bit of a learning curve but no big deal.....especially when you hear what they're capable of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have you looked at the ELAC EA Series Integrated? I also have Chorus IIs and was looking for amps about a year ago - I looked at most of the amps on your list, in fact, and ended up getting the ELAC.  This amp packs a ton of features in for the price point. I also run my Chorus IIs in a 2.1 system and the ELAC has a sub-out and an impressive built-in subwoofer calibrator. Has a remote and a phone app for extended controls. BASH amp. Only drawback is no pre-outs, so you can't use it with another amp if you later want more power or more speakers than 2.1 (though, the 80W per channel is more than enough for the Chorus). 

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/elac-element-ea101eq-g-integrated-amplifierdac-review

http://www.hifi-network.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ELAC-Element-review_Hi-Fi-News.pdf

ELAC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Apparently Wisconsin is a hot bed of used hifi equipment this week.  Within 24 hours I found a Rotel A14 and NAD C368 available within 30 minutes of me.  Each unit in perfect condition.   

Its funny because I was looking for ultimate sound quality.  I ended up picking up the NAD because it was black to match the rest of my components vs the Rotel’s silver case (plus a few hundred $ cheaper).   I guess in the end, I’m a little picky about that.  

Ill be connecting tonght and testing this weekend!

• Like 3

On 12/7/2018 at 2:18 PM, snooka3000 said:

Apparently Wisconsin is a hot bed of used hifi equipment this week.  Within 24 hours I found a Rotel A14 and NAD C368 available within 30 minutes of me.  Each unit in perfect condition.   

Its funny because I was looking for ultimate sound quality.  I ended up picking up the NAD because it was black to match the rest of my components vs the Rotel’s silver case (plus a few hundred $ cheaper).   I guess in the end, I’m a little picky about that.  

Ill be connecting tonght and testing this weekend!

Great for you.  That NAD should sound great, my older NAD C542, T773, T175HD sure does.

I know what you mean about visually matching.

Bill

So, two days in....

primary source of music is Spotify from

my pc using a cheap amazon dac.  (I ordered a longer s/pdif from amazon so I can connect directly to my NAD and use the internal dac).  I’m hoping that will give me a slight improvement.  

Overall I’m excited about the improved sound. I’ve experimented back and forth using the NAD to power my speakers and then using the NAD as a preamp and my Adcom GFA-5400 as a power source.  Tonight I decided the Adcom power made a noticeable improvement.  Tonight is the best I’ve heard the chorus ii sound.  Considering the source was Spotify, I am excited about trying higher quality files.  

On a a side note, I set up a Pro-Ject turntable for the first time with the one record I own - I enjoy the sound of vinyl!  It feels like a rabbit hole but I’m going down it!!

7384EC7C-2309-4E5E-A19D-A9FAE86CEEC9.jpeg

• Like 1