Help with Integrated Amp under $1,000

snooka3000

I had trouble getting them to play well together - so I gave up. 

I alway thought the PLX Amps sounded amazing. Never tried the Crown Macro stuff. 

Crown D75 and D45 both get a thumbs up from me. What a shame they dropped them. 

The lower end Crown stuff sounds okay until you spend some time with it. 

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

The Rotel A12 and Cambridge CXA60 are the most economical decisions (even after adding a phono stage for the Cambridge).

I'm still debating if I should go to a higher end unit like the Cambridge Audio Azur 851A.  I would need to add a phono stage and eventually a DAC but those would be upgrade-able pieces down the road as needed and maybe should be separate anyway? 

If space is an issue you may want to look at the tiny PS Audio "Sprout" that seems to check most of the boxes for around $600.  I have not heard it but read a review while it was paired with the Spatial M3 speakers that Claude mentioned in another thread. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 3:44 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

I would have to disagree with you there.   I have done several consumer to pro pairings.   Are you concerned about the  levels not working well?   I wouldn't recommend blind pairing and would suggest one understand the differences in audio level.   That being said, they work well together with a little thought.  Yes QSC PLX amps are nice.  I decided not to tinker and modify my plx gear since I would be running it bridged mono. Instead I will use two crown macro references which have zero audible fan noise under normal conditions.   I still think these are my favorite amps I have owned.   Time to find another.   

What are you running that you need to bridge Crown macros.  Are they not 750 watts in stereo?

36 minutes ago, Shiva said:

What are you running that you need to bridge Crown macros.  Are they not 750 watts in stereo?

They are 😂.   I have two choices.   As the damping factor is ridiculous on the amp at 20,000, I can go full apes*&# and bridge 3k watts RMS into two JBL SRX718S subs.  Other option is to keep lower power, which to be honest is plenty almost always, and keep SQ higher to the subs. These subs wake up with a lot of power.  I have owned them for many years and know what they are capable of.   Only downside to these subs.   Go big or go home?  I want another Crown Macro in stereo going to the 396s.  I have two dedicated 30 amp outlets for these wired already (a necessity if you want these amps to perform to their potential). 

• Like 1