KPT-904 ... amp recommendations?

Emile

Just a bit of additional need to know info on the K series at home.  If you don't have XLR outs on your receiver, you will have to buy the right cables to use the K amp, such as XLR to RCA's..   https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=xlr+to+rca+cables&sprefix=xlr+to+orca+%2Caps%2C211&crid=1GHGCGFDXQEJV

As well, because it is a pro amp, the pre-outs on the Onkyo might not have a strong enough output signal, though I have read that often, their pre-outs do. But, If that is the case and it was with my Pioneer A/V receiver, you may need an additional piece of gear, such as one of these, an Art Cleanbox Pro. 

https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxPro-2-channel-Unbalanced-Converter/dp/B003S7T49K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548945883&sr=8-1&keywords=Art+clean+box+pro

As others have said, it runs silent as it is sealed, it does get pretty warm so give it some space.  My K2 sits all by itself on an open shelf.    It goes into standby when there is no signal and draws only 6 watts from the wall.  Most importantly,  even though it is a pro amp with a lot of power, it sounds great playing at low volume, using less than 1 watt and one can tell that by the brightness of the lights on the front.   Who coined the phrase, "if the first watt sucks, who cares about the rest".  To my ears the K amp passes that test as well. That is what I want in an amp. As much power as ever needed, but also sounds great for quiet times too.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

OK K1 and 2 owners tell me why you prefer an older amp to current offerings?

Haha ... "they" talked me into it :D  Liked the "bells and whistles" on the new ones but was told they just do not compare to the old stuff.

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Haha ... "they" talked me into it :D  Liked the "bells and whistles" on the new ones but was told they just do not compare to the old stuff.

I didn't care for what the XLS and the XTI series did to the highs.  Not saying the K1 and K2 are perfect in that category either, but much more clear and detailed without a "hazy muffled" type of sound.  This has been my experience. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave A said:

OK K1 and 2 owners tell me why you prefer an older amp to current offerings? When I was looking I wanted one I could hook up directly to my PC with RCA inputs on the amp. What sound levels do you play at that you need that kind of power? What are you saying the old ones do the new ones don't do? The Crown xil1500 with 350 watts 8 ohm is new for $300 at Sweetwater and the used  K ones are $300 plus on EBay.

Personally I have only turned up my single xli800 all the way with any of my speakers one time. I put on my shooting  hearing protectors before I did so for my friend who just wanted to hear the MCM's as loud as I could get them. It was ridiculous and I turned them back down after a couple of minutes because he had no idea what he was doing to his ears.

Do you ever get to Knoxville or Chattanooga? Maybe we could figure out a way to get you one of my crowns and you could try it for a while see what you think

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

What will your preamp be?

Just going to hook it up straight from my AVR (Onkyo RZ810) via Zone-2 out for now ... playing Beethoven's 9th via my Marantz 2252B to "hear" the difference later :) .  Could cannibalize the JVC P-3030 preamp from my stereo room, but think I want a "black" preamp now.  Friend has a Nikko Beta II I could try/buy. Any suggestions?? (Haha ... keep it under $200 for a used one)

OK; hooked up (temporarily since the damn power cord is too short to reach my power conditioner plus it doesn't fit on the shelf with my PC anymore ... about 2" wider than "regular stuff" due to rackmount and handles :(  Jeez; have to get this "fixed" before my wife gets home tomorrow :D )

First impressions on the K1 ... LOUD (yes; as expected ... 350W/ch vs my Marantz at 52W/ch). 1/4 volume and think I'm at 100dB (guessing). Soundstage is AWESOME :D Bass seems "tighter" i.e. faster and more pronounced. HF sounds "crispier," again faster up/down.  Waiting for the big chorus finale :) Damn, starting to hear inconsistencies; hope it is due to the recording :( OK; what else should I listen for???

OK; finale ... 4th movement, Freunde; Alle Menschen werden Bruder".  Very clear, detailed ... just AWESOME ... OK; I'm on my third glass of wine :D  

Next, trying one of my "check the system out" CD's.  Windham Hill recording, soundtrack of the movie "Country."  Track 11 "The Auction," by composer Charles Gross. Track 13, "Epiloque and Hymn is pretty good also. :) Download it to try it on your system ... the hi/lows and especially the drums are just awesome.

OK; trying to find my Dvorak New World Symphony with "thunder and lightning."  :D  Jeez ... where is it?

Next, Itzhak Perlmann, Paganini Violin Concerto #1.  VERY, VERY clear.

OK; for you rock fans ... All along the Watchtower by (of course) Jimi Hendrix.  Don't think I have ever heard it this clear and well refined :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2

Couple of questions for Crown K owners, haha and "other experts" ... Had my Crown K1 hooked up "straight" with RCA to 1/4 connectors.  Sounded great.  Next, put a Nikko Beta II preamp in-line. Clicking and static noise on left channel (even without an input). Strangely, when I turn the preamp off, the clicking goes to the other channel ?????  Did check the Nikko preamp on another system ... no clicking / no noise :( :)  Anyone have any clue?  Would I need XLR/RCA connectors to solve this or is something else going on?????

Many thanks, Emile  

First time I used a pro amp after using my old Onkyo it was a Peavey 800 something with that many watts. Percussion became much better and definition in all ways improved. I think it has more to do with being Pro gear and not home owner barely have the watts stuff that makes the difference. You would have been happy with a number of units from Crown I figure.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in trying some of these Crown amps ... found a XLS 402 (NEW) on FleaBay for $150 +$40 shipping.  No clue about "this" model, but 2 x 300W into 8 Ohms. Tempted just to try it :D  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-XLS-402-Amplifier-Professional-2-Ch-300W-New-Retail-Box-Best-BuyCloseout/153356819725?hash=item23b4c75d0d:g:a1sAAOSwWz5b9JlD:rk:20:pf:0

s-l1600.jpg

On 2/4/2019 at 6:22 PM, Emile said:

found a XLS 402 (NEW) on FleaBay for $150 +$40 shipping.  No clue about "this" model, but 2 x 300W into 8 Ohms. Tempted just to try it :D  

Haha ... bought the last one of these (w/o a box) for $120 :D 

• 1 month later...