Care and feeding of tubes?

Schu

Sounded like he was talking about ham radio. Is there a difference between how ham radios use tubes as compared to home stereo systems? I understand guitar amps can be harder on tubes than home applications. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to change up my tubes' diet?

If the “facts” in the “care and feeding” link are accurate, then NOS tubes become suspect over time, even though, or possibly because, they are unused.  

Full disclosure,  I got rid of my last tube gear years ago and have not looked back.   A precipitating factor was the inclusion of 7199 tubes in my last Dynaco tube integrated amp.  The prospect of paying inflated prices for New OOOOOLD Stock 7199 tubes, or modifying the circuit to accept more readily available substitutes, was more than I wanted to tolerate.

I’m not dissing tube gear and those who love it, but my dead silent TI TPA3118 and TPA3255 class D chip amps made the decision easy, plus my A/C bills are now lower. 😉

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

If the “facts” in the “care and feeding” link are accurate, then NOS tubes become suspect over time, even though, or possibly because, they are unused.  

Full disclosure,  I got rid of my last tube gear years ago and have not looked back.   A precipitating factor was the inclusion of 7199 tubes in my last Dynaco tube integrated amp.  The prospect of paying inflated prices for New OOOOOLD Stock 7199 tubes, or modifying the circuit to accept more readily available substitutes, was more than I wanted to tolerate.

I’m not dissing tube gear and those wh love it, but my dead silent TI TPA3118 and TPA3255 class D chip amps made the decision easy, plus my A/C bills are now lower. 😉

My house stays warmer in the winter!

• Haha 1