RF-7 ii mod

Deang

This pair done with Sonicaps. It's a good part for this two way, and more importantly - perfectly sized. 

Delsoldering and clean up is a bear, since the OEM solder is lead free. It takes longer to remove parts and the old solder than it does to build it back up again. 

Resistors were moved to the underside of the PCB, and I decided to heat sink the 3.9 ohm resistor with aluminium foil - as it comes in very close proximity to the low pass capacitor. 

20190407_143011.jpg

20190407_142421.jpg

20190407_142439.jpg

20190407_142553.jpg

• Like 1

No, and I have no idea how warm that thing will get if someone leans on the volume for a while. I had one not too long ago, running in parallel, get so hot that it burnt through a capacitor that had at least 1/16" of clearance. 

I also have a folded up piece of foil on the other side, sitting on top of the low pass cap, which will be beneath it.

6 hours ago, Deang said:

No, and I have no idea how warm that thing will get if someone leans on the volume for a while. I had one not too long ago, running in parallel, get so hot that it burnt through a capacitor that had at least 1/16" of clearance. 

I also have a folded up piece of foil on the other side, sitting on top of the low pass cap, which will be beneath it.

i remember that night well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 2:29 PM, Deang said:

That's exactly what I do. I heat up the joint, add some 63/37, and then reheat and remove. It's a bit of a pain!

Flux is your friend:)

No doubt about it lead free solder sucks. It takes more heat to melt.

In the over all picture of life on earth how big a problem is lead in solder? Really?

• 7 months later...