Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jvitti1970

Capacitors for LaScala AA Networks

Recommended Posts

Search for capacitor ESR. It changes with frequency and temperature. It's sometimes found in the spec sheet, but never on the part itself. As capacitors age, the dielectric begins to break down, the ESR climbs - and the cap starts to go resistive. So, an old capacitor is like having a good sized resistor in series with the driver - choking off the signal. 

 

New polyester/Mylar and paper in oil (PIO) capacitors have slightly higher ESR numbers than polypropylene or polystyrene. It does effect the sound. Construction quality will be the determining factor as to how long the capacitor remains stable before trouble sets in. 

 

Some believe Dielectric Absorption has an affect on the sound. I suppose I'm one of those.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that DA could have an affect on the sound, but feel that it would unlikely be encountered here.  It's my understanding that it largely sets in because of constant DC loading (like power supply filters).  Whatever it is that causes DA (again, in my understanding - and I'm not claiming great depth in this matter) doesn't work so one-sidedly when the cap is exposed only to AC signals.  If anyone knows anything about it, by all means chime in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deang said:

Search for capacitor ESR. It changes with frequency and temperature. It's sometimes found in the spec sheet, but never on the part itself. As capacitors age, the dielectric begins to break down, the ESR climbs - and the cap starts to go resistive. So, an old capacitor is like having a good sized resistor in series with the driver - choking off the signal. 

 

New polyester/Mylar and paper in oil (PIO) capacitors have slightly higher ESR numbers than polypropylene or polystyrene. It does effect the sound. Construction quality will be the determining factor as to how long the capacitor remains stable before trouble sets in. 

 

Some believe Dielectric Absorption has an affect on the sound. I suppose I'm one of those.

So what should the ESR measure?

 

Or is your point that.... really old caps are almost always junk. Don't over think it...... Replace them! (kinda the vide I'm getting, and it does makes sense).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record doing Bobs xo on my 81 corns was a huge noticeable change (for the better). Im already sold on it. I just want to learn why (even the boring parts).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like a little kid "whats that"..... A chair.... "whats that".... A light......"Whats that"...... A door................🤷‍♂️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@Deang  wish I had the coin to get those TYPE A'S you just sold. might you build another pair like that?

All you would need to do is swap 3 caps on your old network.  Pretty easy stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

All you would need to do is swap 3 caps on your old network.  Pretty easy stuff.

I guess I just need to know which caps to use brand and values as far as uf's go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

I guess I just need to know which caps to use brand and values as far as uf's go

 I am pretty sure that I sent you a PM regarding this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

2 x 2uf and one 13uf. Brand seems to be the big question (and type). 

A great bang for your buck cap is the Audyn Plus cap from Parts Express.  I've built a few with them and really like them.  Should be a huge difference from what you have now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just do them one cap at a time and it would really be hard to mess up.  No need to worry about polarity either.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

For the record doing Bobs xo on my 81 corns was a huge noticeable change (for the better). Im already sold on it. I just want to learn why (even the boring parts).

 

A while back I decided to buy ALK's Universal kit.  It was my first soldering experience,  and even though it looked awful, it worked.  Like you, though, I had trouble understanding how it all worked. 

 

Forward many years, and I think I finally understand most of it, although I still have a lot to learn.  @Deang bumped a thread on inductors.  I think that's great, and I think many would like to understand how a passive device that opposes changing current would also act as a low pass AC filter.

 

Likewise, perhaps a thread on capacitors would be helpful.  It wasn't until recently that I understood how a capacitor works.  Again, I think many would like to understand how a passive device that opposes changing voltage would act as a high pass AC filter.

 

 I found the fact that a capacitor blocks DC and allows AC to pass confusing, to the point that I thought they were invented for both purposes.  Once I realized that this is not the case (the capacitor was invented long before AC was "invented"),  my understanding of crossovers became much clearer.

 

It seems that capacitors are only discussed in crossover upgrades, and then it seems to turn into a discussion on which brand of capacitor is best. 

I'm sure many don't care about the how's and why's of a capacitor,  but perhaps there are many others who do.  It might be interesting to discuss plates and dielectrics instead of brand A vs brand B.  Then again, maybe not.

 

Apologies to the OP.  This was not meant to hijack your thread.

 

Mike

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mboxler said:

 

A while back I decided to buy ALK's Universal kit.  It was my first soldering experience,  and even though it looked awful, it worked.  Like you, though, I had trouble understanding how it all worked. 

 

Forward many years, and I think I finally understand most of it, although I still have a lot to learn.  @Deang bumped a thread on inductors.  I think that's great, and I think many would like to understand how a passive device that opposes changing current would also act as a low pass AC filter.

 

Likewise, perhaps a thread on capacitors would be helpful.  It wasn't until recently that I understood how a capacitor works.  Again, I think many would like to understand how a passive device that opposes changing voltage would act as a high pass AC filter.

 

 I found the fact that a capacitor blocks DC and allows AC to pass confusing, to the point that I thought they were invented for both purposes.  Once I realized that this is not the case (the capacitor was invented long before AC was "invented"),  my understanding of crossovers became much clearer.

 

It seems that capacitors are only discussed in crossover upgrades, and then it seems to turn into a discussion on which brand of capacitor is best. 

I'm sure many don't care about the how's and why's of a capacitor,  but perhaps there are many others who do.  It might be interesting to discuss plates and dielectrics instead of brand A vs brand B.  Then again, maybe not.

 

Apologies to the OP.  This was not meant to hijack your thread.

 

Mike

 

 

Im not the op but....no hijack imo. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@CECAA850 I don't see Audyn caps on the parts express site with 2uf or 13uf

I'd need to look but you can use two 1uf parallel to make a 2uf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

would a 2.2 work?

As long as you're within 10 percent it should be ok.  You can look at different brands as well if you can't find  what you want by that particular manufacturer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...