Need advice for Klipsch speakers

TSWisla

@TSWisla

As some have already said, it is nearly impossible to rank order the better Klipsch (or other brands) speakers, given that rooms are so different.

Don't rule out Klipschorns because they are large.  I had a pair of them in a room smaller than yours, and they sounded great from the center seat.  Except for the imaging, they sounded just as good from the side seats.  In a room as small as my old one, there is just one "sweet spot."  The should sound a little clearer, more open, and more precise in the bass than the Cornwall.  Probably. 

• Like 1

1st gen cornwalls are desirable. Yes his asking price is high but I'd go give them a listen and close inspection. If they check out and sound great, make him an offer. All he can do is say no. Bring your own audio source material.

Paul Klipsch first introduced the Cornwall in 1959. He took the drivers straight out of the Klipschorns and put them in a direct radiating (woofer), bass reflex cabinet (with front ports). Actually the name Cornwall refers to "corner or wall" usage. By their very design, corns can be used quite successfully along a wall, not designed specifically to use the wall or corner to function well. K horns were designed to be used in a corner. Some references I have read state the Corn was designed as a center speaker for the K horn pair, but I question this as in 1959, there were no home theater multi channel receivers, nor home theater setups really.

Corn 3 have the same horns as the Heresy 3, but in a bass reflex cab and a larger 15" bass transducer. Corn 3 low end extension is much lower than Heresy 3, lower than several in the Heritage lineup.

PWK was a genius and that is no exaggeration. His designs and products have stood well to the test of time, some 70+ years later.

Attached below is a detailed review and testing of the Cornwall II dated 1999. It has the history and info I mentioned above. I'm sure you will enjoy reading it no matter what you decide to do. 

Klipsch_Cornwall_Test_Report_1999.pdf

• Like 4

I just perused the CL ads for West Chicagoland.  There was not as much Klipsch as I would have thought, and the prices were pretty high, especially Khorns.

There is a pair of LS listed for $1600.  I sold a pair just like them for $1400 so not a crazy high price.  Between the Corn1 and the LS it's LS all day long.

I'd make an offer of $1200 which is Fair Market Value for the LS and see if the Seller will come down a bit.  IMO the LS would be a better speaker than the Corn1 regardless of price.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/d/streamwood-klipsch-lascala/6920437298.html

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, very much!  I send the guy with the LS a message, but I was messaging him yesterday about his Heresy speakers and he did not want to say much.  He is one of theose, "come and see them" types.  I will see what the Cornwall gentleman has to say.  I just want to get something straight though.  The size of my room should matter from what I gather.  Will the age of these speakers become a factor?  If I go and look at these, other than the obvious things, what should I look for?  Thank you again.  You are all very generous with your time and knowledge! 

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I just perused the CL ads for West Chicagoland.  There was not as much Klipsch as I would have thought, and the prices were pretty high, especially Khorns.

There is a pair of LS listed for $1600.  I sold a pair just like them for $1400 so not a crazy high price.  Between the Corn1 and the LS it's LS all day long.

I'd make an offer of $1200 which is Fair Market Value for the LS and see if the Seller will come down a bit.  IMO the LS would be a better speaker than the Corn1 regardless of price.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/d/streamwood-klipsch-lascala/6920437298.html

This is a better value. these are better speakers then the cornwalls and they’re cheaper. It’s What I have now 

1 hour ago, Heritage_Head said:

This is a better value. these are better speakers then the cornwalls and they’re cheaper. It’s What I have now 

You have the originals?  Would I need to update them at all?  They are pretty huge, correct?

18 hours ago, TSWisla said:

You have the originals?  Would I need to update them at all?  They are pretty huge, correct?

I have the original line La Scala 1978 now. I sold my cornwalls about a year ago. You don't have to update anything or you can update everything. Klipsch heritage has a pretty large fan base and everything can be replaced by oem/stat or update/upgrades (one of the cool parts of the line). 

The capacitors on the crossovers is what a lot of people recommend to replace (they go out of spec after about 25- 30 years). Out of spec a little still sounds incredible and isn't anything that has red tape on it (needs work now!). In fact my advise is don't do anything for at min a few months. Updates are pretty cheap. Crossovers can be sent to Bob

https://critesspeakers.com/ And he will re cap (Pair) of La Scalas for example for $120+ship cost. Or its $90+ship and he will mail you all the parts. Bobs stuff is a spec replacement (meaning update to when it was new not upgrade in this case). He also sells parts for everything else as well (and some upgrade stuff). I have been on this forum over 10 years (a few before creating an account). Ive never read one bad word about doing business with Bob. Thats incredible!

There are others here that offer other levels of update/upgrades as well. But I have no experience buying/dealing with them. Other than Jason str (but I don't think he's doing work anymore). 

And yes very large. But not that much bigger than corns. 

https://www.klipsch.com/heritage-speakers

Look at the prices of new heritage. We can all debate if the new is better or not. And you will read all kinds of opinions on that topic. But... most will agree if anything they are all really close in performance level. When comparing prices used heritage is a steal. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-La-Scala-AL5-Floorstanding-Speaker-Cherry-Pair-New-Model/303139226735?hash=item469481846f:g:KhgAAOSwE5lcx2lm:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!55110!US!-1

Thank you again.  So the guy with the LaScalas is very difficult to deal with.  I ask him questions and he is very hesitant to reply.  He won't even give me the SN so that I can determine the age, etc.  The guy with the Cornwalls listed them here as well I noticed!  He is firm on the price.  I guess that I will keep looking.  Thank you again.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TSWisla said:

Thank you again.  So the guy with the LaScalas is very difficult to deal with.  I ask him questions and he is very hesitant to reply.  He won't even give me the SN so that I can determine the age, etc.  The guy with the Cornwalls listed them here as well I noticed!  He is firm on the price.  I guess that I will keep looking.  Thank you again.

I believe you will be rewarded for your patience. But I'd also give my contact info to the guy with the Corns. Maybe after 3 or 4 weeks of no sale, he will come down to reality on the price. Maybe not.

I had never searched Chicago CL before, they sure have a lot of vintage audio gear changing hands. 2.7 million residents can't hurt.

• Like 2