R-115SW sub for CF-3's?

Emile

Hi All,

Recently got some CF-3's (v.2) and really, really impressed by these.  Driving them with a Kenwood Basic M2 (220wpc). Use them in a 2 channel setup in a small (12x11x8ft) room. And "bass" is sensational :D 

But, was doing some CraigsList shopping and found a R-115SW sub ("like new") for only $250.  Guess I can use a speaker-to-line converter to hook it up to my vintage amp. However, is this OVERKILL (as I expect) or would it help the overall sound? (Due to room size, minor problem is that I would have to put it in a closet :) ... just keep the door open when I use it :) ) Listening genre is classical and old rock.

Many thanks, Emile

PS; Just saw @Youthman's video of these on Youtube ... below

Hi
If you still have them in that small room, I would say yes it’s over kill
Those speakers have tons of bass for two Channel audio. My god man, do you want to rattle your brain lose. Lol
It’s a great deal anyway, maybe get it for your living room

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

yes it’s over kill

Hi Carl,

Yes; probably a bit much :D  But might be fun to try to see if ot rattles my brain :) If YOU are interested, here is the link ... https://offerup.com/item/detail/716297397/ ... seller had it listed for $350, then $300 and now $250.

And, have not figured out "how to" hook it up.  The R-115SW has a SINGLE line in :(  All the speaker to line converters I have seen, have L/R connectors ... and do not think I can "Y" those together :( 

Cheers, Emile

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Add-on ... also found a 10" R-10SW  sub for $140. Think it would be "too small" to compliment my CF-3's :( Specs say 32Hz ... jeez; my CF-3's can do that.  But the R-115SW shows 18-125Hz :) 

Yes why not try the 10...?

If you want to know if missing something...If what just read from another is the situation with your room size, would think a bit overkill also...dang, my Heressies mostly satisfy and the are not spec'd at 32 😍Hz... having some concerns here...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes why not try the 10...?

Haha ... bigger is better? :D  But ... haven't figured out yet how to hook up a single input sub to a vintage amp ... maybe it's a moot point :( 

Add-on ... the 10 is at a pawn shop ... do not like buying from those places ... no specific reason :D ... link https://us.letgo.com/en/i/klipsch-r-10sw-subwoofer_f0af36a3-533e-4e5a-9cd3-df34a517fe51 

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Haha ... bigger is better? :D  But ... haven't figured out yet how to hook up a single input sub to a vintage amp ... maybe it's a moot point :( 

Just saw the price of the 15... cool deal. What vintage amp are using now... that's right a Kenwood. What are you using to drive the amp? Also is that a passive 15 or active...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

What are you using to drive the amp? Also is that a passive 15 or active...

Oppo DVD 980H (and some other stuff) to Kenwood Basic C2 preamp, to Kenwood Basic M2 power amp.  Yes, the R-115SW is an active 400W, peak 800W sub :D  

Thanks, Emile

Go buy the15"er although the CF3 bass is great. I for one love that lower octave stuff and every Klipsch speaker I have owned has benefited from a sub. heck I have some heresy decorators in that same size room WITH a THTLP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Guess you are using dual pre-out to 2 channel M2...

Yes; L/R to M2 power amp.  Has A/B speaker outputs, so could use one of those with a speaker-to-line converter. But ... the converter still gives me L/R. Confused since the sub only has ONE input and do not think I can "Y" (i.e. combine) the converter's line outs ... would think it will screw up my other speakers :( 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave1290 said:

Just think Jimmy Choo shoes Emile

Haha; wife is in Costa Rica for 3 more days ... sub will go into a closet ... she will never see it so don't have to buy her shoes or purses :D 

• Haha 3