Moving La Scala II's

deadlift

I own a pair of these and love them, but moving time is coming.  I remember what a pain it was assembling the top and bottom took 3 people 2 holding the top at an angle and the third reaching in to tighten the connections.  I can assume they did this to make them easier to manage at about 180lbs each.  I was thinking about wrapping them in bubble wrap and then using tie straps to secure the top and bottom for the move rather than disassembling them.  It's going to be about an hour and 10 minute drive and I will be handling the move.  Does anyone have any thoughts and experience about this ?

Thanks

I did the assembly/disassembly myself... no problems. you need to balance the HF at an angle so it exposes the connections the remove.

I would suggest moving the speakers by themselves if at all possible and do the rest of the move separately. your definitely going to need a handtruck unless you have two strong people.

I dont suggest using plastic on the finish... if you move them by themselves (or with other limited items) you really dont need to worry about wrapping them.

one last suggest... you could reach out to the factory or a reseller as try to buy factory boxes.

• Like 1

I agree with Schu.  When I brought my LS2s home, my friend and I set the tops on the bass cabinets, but didn’t hook them up that evenIng.  The next day, I was able to do the connecting by myself, by just lifting the HF section at the back.

To get them from the van to the apartment, we used one of those convertible vertical/horizontal hand trucks.  It took a couple of trips, of course.  The speakers were in their factory boxes, with the included foam padding, so it made for less nervousness when we moved them.  Maybe get some moving blankets to wrap the speakers in.  If you’re moving them when they’re “bare”, it’s way too easy to scuff or chip the finish.

Moving the speakers with the top and bottom sections together is risky.  First, they’re way heavier like that, and second, if they’re not securely held together, it’s too easy for them to come apart while they’re being handled, like during the transitions to and from the hand truck you should be using.  If they’re being lifted up or down stairs together, that just makes a tough job tougher and riskier.  That’s what I think.

• Like 1

I saved the boxes. Just broke them down for storage. 

Would not recommend moving with tops on. Wrap and separate if you do not have boxes. 

Tops are awkward, only weigh 50 pounds or so. I set them down and slid forward enough to allow connecting the wires. Then sat back on the rubber bumpers.