Used Klipschorn...are these fake?

ajinreno

11 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Looks like a Speakerlab crossover to me. Pure DIY would not label the connections, but if he/she did, input would probably be spelled correctly.

Yes they are Speakerlab crossovers. Working from memory but fairly certain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajinreno said:

Thanks for the input everyone. Not sure if I'm going to make the 2 hour drive to check them out, he sent me some different conflicting pics since this post. 

Almost sounds like YELLOW Alert

Time going to RED...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Randyh said:

so what is it , Speakerlab sold the plans for the speakers-  is that it -----and you built the speakers , now these are MDF ---

They sold kits which included the drivers and the crossovers. You could also buy them assembled or knock down flat packs or even the cabinet assembled and you just had to mount the drivers and wire them up. Most people built their own cabinets. They gave you plans to go by. I probably built a dozen pair over the years but never the K model (Klipshorn knock off). Many of the kits were mdf or even particle board. I thought the concept was great because I didn't mind building the cabinets so got good bang for the buck. My first pair was around 1979 +/-

• Like 2

Just now, Randyh said:

If they made speakerlabs out of MDF -----then these are speakerlabs --------based on everybody here -------

They did use MDF until sometime before 1976 when I purchased four factory-built plywood SKhorns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

the bass bins are made off MDF -------SPEAKERLAB were plywood  from what I had seen so far --

Initially, the speakerlab K was made of NOT MDF, but a different more crude material called "particle board" material which was rather Crumbly, but they sealed up with white silicone RTV because, as they claimed, it had a "Superior Seal." I actually convinced them to use Philips Tweeters which I used in my Mom/s speakers I built from Birch Plywood and speakerlabs 12" woofer, and I forgot which midrange, but they sounded pretty darn good as I recall. Best sound my mom ever had. I was about 21 years old when I built those.

2 different pairs of the K bass bins passed through my temporary ownership period. One was just the bins, the other was a full Plywood version, like DizRotus mentioned. I found the Atlas drivers to NOT measure well, second rate output, but the Metal Mid Horn was a very good copy of the K400, so they improved on all counts, depending on what year it was.

The version shown by the OP is the worst version they ever had, FYI.

• Like 1