Cleaning cloth covered grills

After seeing the post on cleaning cane grills I thought I would want to do the same with my forte IIs. The question here is can the grill frame material handle being soaked in water? They look like some kind of wood or paper material and not plastic. Same thing on the klf-30s. What other methods have you used if this method can not be used?

dont soak them, the wood will swell & be ruined.  for spot cleaning i have use a diluted mixture of dawn dish soap & water or other gentle detergent or a resolve brand carpet cleaner,  spray the spots, let sit for a bit & lightly scrub with a soft tooth brush.  then you can use a hose & spray the spots & whole grill briefly then dry as much as possible asap with a towel & sit in the sun to speed dry the rest.  ive done this on multiple sets of black grill fabrics & wood frames with no damage. 

1 minute ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

dont soak them, the wood will swell & be ruined. 

I have taken several pairs of the forte II and Chorus II grill covers to the car wash and pressure washed them thoroughly with hot soapy water then rinsed and vacuumed at the same facility, I still have a pair in use in one of my personal systems and there is no deterioration at all from the moisture in fact they look brand new.  The frames are not wood but appear to be a type of plastic or composite material.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alexander said:

After seeing the post on cleaning cane grills I thought I would want to do the same with my forte IIs. The question here is can the grill frame material handle being soaked in water? They look like some kind of wood or paper material and not plastic. Same thing on the klf-30s. What other methods have you used if this method can not be used?

The grill frame material is a plastic or composite material and is unaffected (in my experiences) by water. I've actually soaked a pair of Chorus II grill covers for several hours in the bathtub one time due to heavy cigarette smoke residue in the fabric it was a case of hope it works and doesn't ruin them but I almost considered them ruined anyway should have seen the tannish brown water they left it was pretty gross.

More recently I've experimented with the car wash on a few set sets of covers and that is my new method of cleaning them works fantastic brings them back to like new condition if they're just dusty dirty heavy stains will likely need some touch up paint fabric type in a spray can works well. 

• Thanks 1

More recently I've experimented with the car wash on a few set sets of covers and that is my new method of cleaning them works fantastic brings them back to like new condition if they're just dusty dirty heavy stains will likely need some touch up paint fabric type in a spray can works well. 

.Even if you have to paint the whole thing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I have taken several pairs of the forte II and Chorus II grill covers to the car wash and pressure washed them thoroughly with hot soapy water then rinsed and vacuumed at the same facility, I still have a pair in use in one of my personal systems and there is no deterioration at all from the moisture in fact they look brand new.  The frames are not wood but appear to be a type of plastic or composite material.

i was just replying to his post saying the frames were a wood or paper material... since forte2 grilles are plastic that is not a concern, if they were wood then "soaking" them would not be good. 

"The question here is can the grill frame material handle being soaked in water? They look like some kind of wood or paper material and not plastic. Same thing on the klf-30s. What other methods have you used if this method can not be used?"

On 6/13/2020 at 8:48 PM, oldtimer said:

How is the cloth attached to the frame?  How long ago did you soak them?

Actually, I don't really remember.

When I first got my Fortes about 11 years ago, the grills were filthy and another forum member suggested the soaking method.  I think they were submerged a couple of hours.  The water looked like diluted tea.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Upon closer inspection the forte IIs do have some kind of plastic grill frames as some had stated.

As for the klf's, there frames are made of some king of fiber material coated with something that MIGHT be waterproof. There was a section that had this coating chipped off so I will not do any kind soaking or extended exposure to water.

Thanks for all off your replies