HIP & other misc builds

MookieStl

About nine months ago, @longdrive03 started a thread trying to decide what to do with a mismatched set of industrial Heresy he had gotten from @rockhound. That story had a very happy ending as longdrive converted them into Super Heresy and they turned out so nice that Rockhound bought them back. A by product of that exercise was a set a HIP aluminum trim that I just felt needed a second lease on life. I hung onto the trim for about 7 months and finally felt the need for a project so I got busy cutting wood.

Photo of rockhounds original set:

IMG_9614.PNG

• Like 3

Tried the trim on a set of H1 I rebuild several years ago. Found out the HIP was 1/4" taller than a normal H1. I would guess to accommodate the front 1" slot port.

Although I like the natural look with the trim, I decided to stick with the plan of black duratex.

trim.thumb.jpg.c899c16052ef7b2ff16d650c65a258f4.jpg

Trim was also a little rough, so I had to polish them up a little.

trim1.thumb.jpg.7e2219a37e6e882fc2459be216239c3f.jpg

After a little elbow grease:

trim2.thumb.jpg.6bc7b00a4e9a055d70381d9e629b15a8.jpg

• Like 2

I found out the metal trim must have an anodized coating.  I am reworking my trim pieces now but it is a slow going tedious process.  I start with around 120 grit, then 220, then 340, then 600 and 1000 and finish with Simichrome metal polish.  It will gleem when I am done with it.  Really nice work on that build!

My HIP's have the K-700 horns with the 8 mounting holes must be to secure them tighter to the motorboard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

I found out the metal trim must have an anodized coating.  I am reworking my trim pieces now but it is a slow going tedious process.  I start with around 120 grit, then 220, then 340, then 600 and 1000 and finish with Simichrome metal polish.  It will gleem when I am done with it.  Really nice work on that build!

My HIP's have the K-700 horns with the 8 mounting holes must be to secure them tighter to the motorboard.

I bet your's will look nice. I just didn't want to add to the cost by anodizing the trim. I don't mind a few battle scars or a little oxidation. They are supposed to be industrial. I just didn't want them to look like they lost the battle. I work with aluminum all the time at work. We go through literally tons of it every year.  

• Like 4

h12.thumb.jpg.91d5ef698662e1d500de9ddb23954a67.jpgE.thumb.jpg.5999475d2360c53ddfe0aa3fd45e73e1.jpg

I went with the eminence woofer mentioned earlier, atlas mid driver and the CT120

I also recapped an old E x-over.

I had used this combo last year in a set of Super H and was  absolutely thrilled with the results. (x mid, used K55 solder lug on the earlier Super H)

You can see how I had to "squeeze" this in.

• Like 2

The standard E network won't run all the driver's wide open like the HIE network though I assume that is your intent.  I am not getting the trim anodized it must have come that way from the factory because it is a ***** to sand off to get to the raw aluminum.  Your build is coming along nicely.

Yeah, not really HIP, more like Super Heresy dressed like a HIP. I had the E x-over and it had worked in my previous S Heresy build. This is just a front slot port instead of the rear 4" round. Approximately the same volume port. 1" x 14" slot vs 4" round port

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

All wired up and some foam added.

---- I am surprised you dont start a speaker cie , did you cut these motor boards and panels  , the quality of your work is impressive  -

• Like 1

IMG_0968.thumb.jpg.fc26150cfe1418c78c675474fa49a1f6.jpg

OK, now what do I do with a single HIP????

Always begin with the end in mind. Guess I thought the end was to use this trim that was going to go to waste. Now I have a cool speaker with no real need. I don't have any surround system to use as a center. 

Anyone out there have another set of trim and a  handle?

Should I build another just like it and hope I stumble on another set of the trim??

It was fun to build either way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

IMG_0968.thumb.jpg.fc26150cfe1418c78c675474fa49a1f6.jpg

OK, now what do I do with a single HIP????

Always begin with the end in mind. Guess I thought the end was to use this trim that was going to go to waste. Now I have a cool speaker with no real need. I don't have any surround system to use as a center. 

Anyone out there have another set of trim and a  handle?

Should I build another just like it and hope I stumble on another set of the trim??

It was fun to build either way. 

Build a second and the trim will come, I feel it.

In the mean time, wire it as a center for a set of your La Scalas.

Ok, temporary use. Drug out an old AV integrated that has a three channel mode. I'll use like this until I find more of the original trim.

Sounds nice. Not a lot better than just two channel but what the heck.

If anyone runs into some of this aluminum trim or have some you want to get rid of, let me know!! I'll complete the "set"!

IMG_1036.thumb.jpg.840ff6028c367ab0b1f40e4736c7458d.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...