Tacos

Woofers and Tweeters

Because almost all Romaine lettuce in Canada is imported it's to famously scary, (E coli), to buy in supermarkets.

Sad, but prairie farmers don't grow vegetables, the few who do charge LOTS.

The pictures you see of cornfields, was not meant for human consumption but ethanol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

So nobody knows how to season tacos?

I am sure the are several on here who know how, they're just not giving up the family recipes. I didn't know how because I always bought it premixed. What I did was this, except it was an envelope of chili power, so I adjusted everything commensurately:

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon  smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

I am sure there are better ones. 

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Smoked paprika is one of my favorite ingredients.

What else do you put in the mix? 
This was my first attempt, and I don't know what to put in it to make it better.....  but not knowing is the problem.

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

how many of you are fans of fish tacos?

I've had a few really good ones. 

I have had a few. Wasn't bad and will try it again. I need to try different restaurants to learn some of the different offerings.  

On 8/10/2020 at 1:49 PM, BigStewMan said:

too much work constructing a taco. I've got more important things to do ... like counting every case of COVID in the world and letting you guys know. 

Sorry, thought it was sarcastic Monday.

We don't construct tacos out here in Cali.  We go to the local taco dives and get soft tacos, made to order. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shiva said:

We don't construct tacos out here in Cali.  We go to the local taco dives and get soft tacos, made to order. 

I used to go this food truck on Olympic Blvd in East LA. it was called El Capitan.  Just one of MANY places to score great tacos.  Stange thing is that they had a building; but used the food truck out front.  they've been around for years too. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:
3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Smoked paprika is one of my favorite ingredients.

What else do you put in the mix? 
This was my first attempt, and I don't know what to put in it to make it better.....  but not knowing is the problem.

Your first attempt was too complex.  Just stick with the basic 3:  cumin, chili powder and salt.  Dried oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, etc. add flavor, but nothing beats fresh.  If you want onion, use finely diced white or yellow onions.  Chop your own fresh garlic from cloves. 

Here's a big one:  Instead of dried oregano, use fresh cilantro.  I don't know about the rest of the nation, but here in Texas, cilantro is used in large amounts in authentic Mexican style tacos - not Tex-Mex.  Just grab a wad of cilantro and put it on your taco like you would lettuce.  Warning:  some people hate cilantro.  I used to hate it but grew to like it a lot.  It makes for some really excellent tacos.

• Thanks 1

If you want to try something interesting, get some beef cheek meat from your grocery store.  It will likely be vacuum-wrapped and bloody.  It is extremely tender and very rich and fatty.  It's commonly found at local taquerias around here, and they call it "barbecoa."  It's considered a real treat.  The cilantro and finely diced onions go exceedingly well with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1