Let's talk Heresy

Deang

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hwatkins,

That's what I call high! Gosh, what about the imaging and soundstage? I wanted to locate my speakers in order to hear, as close as possible, what I listen every time Im in a Classical music concert (Im specific about this because in the past when I say concert some people understand an amplified concert a la Rolling Stones).

My late 60,s Heresy sound to me way better than my 85 (now sold).

I hear no ringing at all and they are powerd by a phase linear 700 right now with nice threshold preamp. I will soon add some tubes , I have a scott 299b in the works.

I listen to them at ear level while on line they are my coumputer speakers/ studio moniters.

Manuel

I don't have a scientific answer for my positioning. It has happened this way in three rooms. If I had a dedicated listening room (which in my opinion would be fairly small and room enough for only two in/near the sweet spot) I might have a much different position.

It may be that at near ear level I had to be much more particular about seating arrangements. For my general purpose rooms it seems that the high corners give a more pleasing effect at most all positions.

After this thread got me questioning myself (again), I used a slack period yesterday to close my eyes and 'see' what I heard. Here goes - the sound (probably due to angling) appears to come from aproximately 4 feet up the wall and 3-4 feet in from the corners, creating an outstanding fill. As I become immersed I begin to feel different sounds from different areas (for instance the cymbals seem to come from farther back and the trumpets more forward).

Last Friday I went to see Sonia Dada and Luce (great new San Francisco band) in concert and I decided to use their CDs in my listening test. Once again folks, these speakers were so good at replication of the concert experience that I was thrown right back into that very enjoyable feeling I had at the concert. My positioning may be based on the fact that many amplified concerts have the speakers higher and in the corners of the stage area. This is also true of many unamplified orchestra stages where the bowl shape of the stage back naturally expels the sound out of the corners.

I owned a pair of '73 Heresies from 1974 to 1991, and don't recall any ringing from the metal squacker. They were fine speakers, especially when I was a single GI living in the barracks '74-76: I never, ever lost a "stereo war". Then in '84 I saw and heard the Forte and KG4 for the first time and was a little surprised at how they seemed to put out a bit more bass. From that time 'til '91 when I sold them, the idea of making a new plywood back panel for my Heresy's and sticking a passive radiator in the middle of it has never left my head. Kinda radical mod (though reverseable), anyone ever tried this? I suppose if I had the luck to pick up a pair of Heresy's on the cheap, I'd try some Earthquake SLAPS passive radiators on 'em. Meanwhile, I love my KG4's, no matter what the neighbors say......

Sarge,

From what I've read putting a passive radiator on a heresy wouldn't work to well.

The woofer in the heresy is designed to be used in a sealed box, putting a passive radiator on one is basically porting the cabinet.

I believe a passive radiator acts like a port except it works effectively over a wider frequency range than a port due to the effect of a port being tuned to a specific range.

The airtight cabinet is meant to provide a sort of pillow of air behind the woofer which keeps it from over extending(excursing?) itself or bottoming out.

Different woofer drivers may work better if you don't mind changing the heritage sound.

I've thought it might be cool to have a heresy on top of a modified lascala bass bin, the bass bin would have a larger internal box volume (and maybe be ported?)

as was described in one of dennis'(DJK) posts a long time ago. You would then have a four way system that just might sound nice.

Just some thoughts, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Peace, Josh

Like many others here I found that mounting the Heresy's higher than normal works best. Mine were about 3 foot from the floor standing on cabinets.

One of the nice things about the Heresy is that they are well sealed enough not to suffer from being placed on hollow objects (at least not unduly).

Arco came round to my house once and opened the cabinets during play. He heard a definite improvement that somehow passed me by. In the end I always ran them with the cabinets slightly open just in case.

I certainly don't have any intention of putting myself in the line of fire of those squawkers. I will probably toe them in just tad, and listen to them off axis somewhat. I'm almost sure I'm not going to stand mount them, but will instead take advantage of the risers and simply sit them on the floor. This should work just fine for movies, as I don't expect to much music listening on this system. It would take a completely jaw dropping experience to peel me away from the RF7's and Apollos.

Deang,

"This should work just fine for movies, as I don't expect to much music listening on this system. It would take a completely jaw dropping experience to peel me away from the RF7's and Apollos."

IMHO you need to listen first the Heresy's well positioned and then decide which system belong to which equipment. As always, this is matter of personal preference, but I think that the RF7's are much better in the HT, for me, the Heresy's are better for music. 2.gif Who knows... maybe you will have a jaw dropping experience anytime soon! 9.gif

Deang,

I would have to agree with Manuel on not writing the Heresy's off for music. You might be suprised. I have RF-3 IIs and I would take the Heresy's for most music over them without a second thought. But the Heresy's would require a Sub with them. While the RFs have no need for a sub at all.

Craig