Let's talk Heresy

Deang

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on the heresy really. what crossover you have, what magnets (are the alnico?) what driver (K-55 and whatnot) etc etc.

i want to put binding posts on mine personally, is it possible w/o too much "damage"?

i want to biwire, is the top set of inputs for highs and the bottoms for lows?... hard to tell.

i want to make some risers, really bad

Crossover?

Get the particular X-over network schematic for the year of Heresy you need from Klipsch.

Then do like you did with the Dahlquist's, It'll be a simple network compared to the DQ's.

I would at least give the stock networks a chance for some time, before you pour a buncha cash into upgraded X-overs.

Doesn't Al K. has Schematics for the Heresy on his website?

Isn't Christmas coming?

I really wonder why anyone would like to "improve" the Heresy. Their are excellent all around speakers. They are easier to locate than their bigger brothers, will fit easily in small rooms and coupled to a good sub they will provide everything an audiophile would want.

Of course, for everyone there is a particular poison, but I really don't see how any change would mean an "improvement".

Maybe if I could compare side by side my pair with a modified one....?

Interesting comments.

Hopeful.

Doesn't that squawker ring like a telephone?

I haven't yet searched the archives. Since they have changed the format on the board -- I have found the search utility just about worthless.

I'll go take a peek at Al's site, and the archives and see what I come up with.

Justin. Changing over to 5-way binding posts should be cake, as long as you have the 1's, so you an pop the back off. Just remove what's there, and use one of the offerings from parts express. Use two singles, so you don't have to worry about the spacing, or drilling new holes. Mind as swap out that old clip wire while your in there.

Yep, one of the more popular tweaks appears to be damping the metal squawker horn with Dynamat, Moretite or something similar. The last few years don't need it because they have a plastic horn. Folks also seem to like to upgrade components on the crossover network with their favorite "audiophile" caps and air core inductors. And some folks even try replacing the woofer which IMHO won't make the thing go any lower, but can let you go low louder before running into xmax or thermal limits.

I agree with those who think the Heresy is fine the way it is. It is no more in need of tweaking than any of the other speakers in the Heritage line. It uses the same tweeter and squawker driver. And the crossover network is very similar. Any changes from tweaking are subtle. You may or may not hear them. And if you do hear them, you may or may not consider them improvements.

Justin,

Binding posts are a snap. Go for it. And no, you still cannot biwire using the original barrier strip. I believe HDRBbuilder listed the dimensions for risers. If you have access to a table saw, or someone who has one and knows how to use it, it should be simple to make some.

uhh, let me get this straight. I want to make sure I didn't misunderstand. The tweeter and midrange drivers are same in the Heresy, as they are in the Scala, Belle, and K-horn? That can't be right. I clearly misunderstood.

In the event this is true, then what pray-tell, accounts for the huge disparity in sensitivity between Heresy and the others? Yes, yes, I know -- showing my ignorance again.

The metallic version of the Heresy mid-horn lens is so small that its mounting points at the motorboard are all the damping needed...the ringing some speak of at certain frequencies is most often associated with the larger horn lenses of the LaScala/k-horn, Belle, and Cornwall. As far as I am concerned, the mods that I have seen listed for Heresys are a waste of time and money, except for maybe the re-wiring thingie. The cabinet is not large enough to require any internal bracing; the box is "airtight", therefore replacing the short excursion woofer with a longer excursion unit has little or no benefit, etc....

Yes, Deang...the tweeters and mid-range drivers are the same in all of the heritage series...or at least they USED to be...it is the midhorn lenses, and the woofer sections that differ...along with the cabinet designs, of course. The sameness of the midrange drivers and tweeters is what gives the entire Heritage line the same voicing! I am talking about the REAL heritage line...the Heresy, Cornwall, Belle, LaScala, and k-horn, here! The disparity of the ratings is due to three things: crossover networks, and bass sections...and, of course, the size of the mid-horn lenses.

Keep this in mind: First came the k-horn, then came the Heresy, which was designed to be a center channel between two k-horns...so it had the same tweeter and mid driver...then came the Cornwall, again initially designed to be a center channel between two k-horns, ergo same tweeter and mid range driver....then came the LaScala, originally designed to be a speaker for use on a gubernatorial campaign, that would approach the performance of the k-horn, therefore, same tweeter and midrange driver, BUT it was found that the LaScala was a great center channel speaker between two k-horns....then came the Belle Klipsch, a WAF inspired version of the LaScala to be used as a center channel between two k-horns, therefore the same tweeter and mid-driver, yet again! The simple fact that each and every one of these speakers that followed the k-horn in their design have become popular units in their own right is a tribute to their design...and their designer...PWK!! Just think about it...none of these(except the k-horn) were designed as stand alone speakers for a home hi-fi system, and yet, they all have become exactly that!!

Jim, when you ditch that Phase Linear preamp you will see a definte increase in your system performance with more detail, less haze, more harmonic richness, air, and less congestion, not to mention the more 3-dimensional aspect to the sound, all depending on which preamp you get.

But once again, I cant stress how important the preamp is to the overall performnance of your system. It will be just a big a leap as going from mediocre solid state to a better tube amp. The preamp handles signals at far lower levels and is critical to get the most from your system. And the Phase Linear stuff is really not very musical across the board. I would rank their stuff pretty high on the sterility department (although I know you were given the piece from a friend). Unfortunately, you are cutting into a good portion of the progress you might be making with tweaked Khorns and that MV-52.

It is worth the trouble to get a good unit here. No doubt about it. After, you will wonder how you did without. The difference will not be subtle.

kh

Dean, I am with some of the others here concerning mods. Dont do ANY modifications until you have had the speakers for awhile on some amplification you know (or have come to know). Modifying imediately is a recipe for unhappiness and perhaps some wasted effort here. You need to know where you stand and get your system setup properly. Get all the other stuff honed and then address speakers issues if necessary. Or course, installing binding posts is not included here as that would be a nice upgrade anyway. But I would wait to mess with damping, drivers, wiring, etc.

Make sure all the connetions are correct within both speakers however, and that all are solid. You might want to unscrew and hit with some contact cleaner and then retighten within for those that are not soldered.

I see Craig is going a long way to giving you working vintage with no headaches by giving you his main amp. Nice to have a second system coming together.

Chris Robinson just locked a pair of Wright Sound WPA 3.5 2A3 Monoblocks today. He got a good deal on the units with some nice tubes as well. As I have said in the past, the little Wright Sound 2A3 monos can be practically "borrowed on loan" if bought under $975 as you will get all your money back if moving on. It's one of the safest SET purchases there is.

kh

Deang,

Last night after we spoke on the phone. I was messing around with Pauls HF-12s and decided to hook them up to the heresy's without a sub. Mind you they weren't anywhere near Ideally positioned. I had the Cars greatest hits(I know cheesy music) But very mid bass heavy allot of drum action. I think you may end up liking the heresy's better than your RF-7s unless the RF-7s are just in another league then there little brothers RF-3's. With your SVS sub setup and the entire system tweaked I think you really are in for a treat !! The sound field and bloom of these speakers are just amazing for there size in way's I like them better than the Lascalas for up close and personal listening. They definitly have the shock your friends feature hands down I was remembering how my friends were all astonished by the sound these small speakers produce.

I bet you do have the metal horns. My Heresy's are plastic horns and don't suffer from the ringing that some say the metal horns have. Overall the new woofers are a upgrade if you find the bass to uncontrolled at higher volumes. After last night memory jogger that is what I remember them doing is allowing to push the heresy's harder and keeping the nice controlled bass they produce over the factory woofers. But like others have stated hear always listen to things and tweak what you have to get familar before changing anything. To many changes and you could go backwords and have no clue what put you there !!

Craig

----------------

On 11/23/2002 10:17:05 AM deang wrote:

Jeff, what makes you say these Heresys are 1984. Did you gather this from the serial number?

----------------

Dean,

Based on the last pic the serial # 8449146 is as follows...

first 2 digits 84 is year of manufacture

next 2 digits 49 is the week of the year

last 3 digits 146 is the serial number of production.

Pretty close to my Cornwalls 8448901/02 speakers-late 84 models.

Jeff