Laptop with great sound card

Pete H

I've got to replace my laptop.  It's been a great machine, but it's time to go.  I've been trying to find something that has a really good built in sound card and it's become frustrating because I can't seem to find specs.  This is the piece that I will use to stream music when I'm downstairs, in the shop etc.  The same machine will have REW, mini dsp interface, and other audio related items and software, so that's it's primary function.  Does anyone have any insight on this?  I should mention that I'm strictly a PC guy and that's not changing as I will still have MS office that will be utilized on the machine. 

39 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

So you're not using a DAC?

Will be yes.

21 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Some folks don't listen Carl.

No, some folks don't read. lol The question remains, does anyone know of a laptop that has a very good built in sound card.  I just don't accept that no manufacturer incorporates a great sound card in any laptop.  We've discussed this and thinking that maybe someone out there had an answer, I thought I would throw it out here to see.  

1 minute ago, Pete H said:

Will be yes.

No, some folks don't read.  The question remains, does anyone know of a laptop that has a very good built in sound card.  

The sound card isn't used as the lap top dac?  I guess I never thought that the sound card had any function other than maybe being a digital pass through when streaming.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

The sound card isn't used as the lap top dac?  I guess I never thought that the sound card had any function other than maybe being a digital pass through when streaming.

I would imagine it has to.  If it's pushing a signal out to a 3.5mm headphone jack.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

OK, then why would you use the laptop DAC if you have an external DAC?

When on the road with the laptop and headphones.  I'm totally onboard with an external for the laptop at home, but I'm not taking all of that with me.  

1 minute ago, Pete H said:

When on the road with the laptop and headphones.  I'm totally onboard with an external for the laptop at home, but I'm not taking all of that with me.  

Then get any old laptop and buy a Dragonfly DAC and call it a day.  It'll be better than a soundcard.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Then get any old laptop and buy a Dragonfly DAC and call it a day.  It'll be better than a soundcard.

This will also be much more affordable than a gaming laptop or similar.

Even with a holiday sale (last Christmas) combined with my bro's employee discount, a gaming laptop for my teenage son cost over $500.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Like I said earlier some folks don't want to listen! Get one of those 1,500 dell xps's or dell alienware ones if you must.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Pete............where did we go wrong raising that boy?

Stop already, I'm going to get an external DAC, but I'm also going to get a laptop that performs.  I told you I wasn't purchasing any external DAC until I get a chance to hear a few at SWAG.  The dragonfly (which I had never even seen one) looks perfect for the laptop when I travel.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

And that was my point.

You'll hear one DAC prior to the SWAG.

And I looked at it and agreed with your point.  I just think it's sad that you can't buy a laptop with a decent soundcard/dac, already built in.  Refresh my memory, prior to the Bifrost, you had a ?

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Pete............where did we go wrong raising that boy?

Pete, I can't believe you are going to drive all the way to Beaumont to listen to this crap in person.

Turn the Devastator up so you don't hear him. Then I guess if you close your eyes, you'll be ok

And don't forget your sarcasm, you'll need lots of that.