Stunning 299B on Ebay

NOSValves

This is a beauty !! The seller is full of sh!t. He say's he changed the Power supply capacitors but all I see one new under chassis cap and everything else is 40 years old. This one will go for some bucks but it is in perfect shape !!! It will require a update sooner or later. better sooner than later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1944767178

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sellert states "I have completely gone over this unit, replacing the power supply capacitors and replacing tubes as required. ". Note his "as required" disclaimer.

This amp looks pretty interesting. How does the 'B' compare with the 'A' and 'D'?

Mace

Hi,

If the cosmetics are as good as they look,this one is a beauty.Craig is right,the cheapskate only bypassed one section of one above chassis cap.His wording"went through"should in no way be construed as rebuilt.Don't expect to plug this amp in and use it trouble free for any period of time.

View it as a platform for a rebuild,with the end result being a mint 299b.Sonics wise,the "B" sounds like a 299a on speed.More aggressive,more pronounced highs.Many consider it the best Scott 299 of them all.

Best,

Pat

Pland is absolutely correct. I'm one of the crowd that believes this is a absolute best Scott intergrated every made all descrete components , Best transformer ever used by Scott in a 7189 amp. Just for a little fact the 299B , 222C and 222D all use the same output Iron. The 299B runs the 7189s for all they have available at 55 ma and puts out a honest clean 22 to 24 watts. I sold my tweaked 299A to Deang to upgrade to the 299B. The 299A second version is very similar but uses different output Iron. There both excellant amps especially for LP lovers !! The 299B is just slightly better in the lower and upper ranges for headroom.

Keith,

good luck but you better be ready to spend about $350 on this one maybe more. If your not up to rebuilding it I'll cut you some slack on the rebuild or guide along the way your going to love this amp if you win it. You should email the seller and ask him what tubes are included brand wise.

Thanks, as usual, for the help Craig. The bank just called and said they had approved my second mortgage. It appears that I'll need it as the reserve is astronomical. My bid of $576 did not meet the reserve. I'll bump it up a few hundred more.

I received the manual Craig for my 222-C and while it is not exactly encyclopedic, it does give some basic info that is helpful to a novice such as myself. The guy either needs a new printer or is such a cheapskate that he made a 'draft' copy. Just another example of people ripping people for a coupla bucs. I'll send you a copy with the ampS. Anyone else for the cost of postage.

Yesterday I ran across a person with a bucket of tubes for sale. Saw several 12AX7's and several 7189's and also a 5AR4 or two. Some foreign. I asked if they had been tested and he said " uh, I dunno". Wanted $1 each. Most looked new. Would be a buy if someone wanted to LOOK at them.

Another thing Craig, do you give volume discounts?

Keith

Just how many amps are you going to buy ?? I wouldn't up your bid anymore if the reserve is over 576 the guy was dropped on his head as a baby !! That's jsut to much to pay !!

My prices to klipsch board member are a deal as it is I'm lucky to make $10 a hour !!

Keith bid a max bid of $576 trying to see where the guys reserve was. This bid won't show up till someone out bidded keith and someone else will have to keep driving the price up past there unless keith wants it bad enough to bid it up further. I bet this one doesn't sell the reserve is just to high.

Craig

Nothing on ebay makes sense to me, especially from this forum. I just cant understand it, even with the idea of finding out a reserve. I just will never understand it. Whether it's a $600 HF-81 days before the auction end or a $575 bid to "feel" out the reserve (christ, what if someone actually PUSHES it this high? It's insane for that amp), nothing seems to make sense. And you could write it out here time and time again and still it will happen. I sure hope no one here has a mean streak and starts to bid like a bastard till it reaches $650 and then smile inwardly as Keith is forced to buy this amp for an insane amount (assuming he pushes it this high).

I have never lost an ebay auction I wanted and never paid an insane amount either. The worst thing you can do is decide you HAVE to have an amp, even for an amp that shouldnt command this price, especially since it will more than likely need another $100 or more of work done to get it up to spec. With the addition of shipping from former owner, to Craigs and back, to repair bill, to amp purchase, you are possibly talking about a figure that makes no sense, since you could remain patient and find a bargain which still surfaces. Just the other day, a nice HF-81 came up on Audiogon for less than $250, this factory wired.

It really pays to be patient and be smart with the bidding. I would not pay over $250 for one of these amps before repair. The loon sured didnt do too much and after you recap the beast and add in resistors and other odds and ends, you come out with a helluva expensive vintage piece.

I just hope no one drives that price up including Keith... There just are too many other options that I would take at this level. Hell, an HF-87 that has been totally recapped with Hexfreds in the PS just went off at less than $350!

kh

Hey Craig,

Looks like the 299b's are in Eico territory price-wise now.They are fairly rare,and unfortunately,are good enough to warrant the price.Still,I'd sign off at 375.00 or so.You can buy an HF87 Eico for about 400.00,and coupled with an HF85 pre,would be approaching(hell,you'd be there)SERIOUS HiFi!

When are you going to step up to the plate and get a Citation II?Your kind of amp!

Best,

Pat

Yea the 299B are rare and they command more money but like Mobile is saying here be pateint. I waited for the right moment and got mine for $249 this guy is tring to make a killing hoping someone gets caught up in the moment. Its not worth over $350 max.

----------------

On 12/11/2002 9:00:18 PM NOS440 wrote:

Mike,

They go for about $275 to $300 normally on ebay there pretty nice amps with some serious bottom end slam and mid range. Of coarse this is in Original in need of update condition price. Rebuilt there worth $500 or more.

----------------

Okay, how about a LK-72 rebuilt?

Does the kit version usually rate a little less?

(For obvious reasons, of course.)

Thanks Craig!