Alienware computers

Femtochemistry

Hey guys,

I ordered my new Alienware computer on dec. 10, i was just wondering if people here have an Alienware system and can tell me how long it took to arrive at their door, heres the specs:

Qty: 1 Area51

~ Case: Dragon Full-Tower Case (400-Watt PS) (Space Black)

~ Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.8GHz 533MHz FSB w/ 512KB

~ Memory: 1GB RDRAM PC-800

~ Hard Drive One: 80GB Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 7200RPM 2MB Cache

~ Optical Drive One: 16/48x IDE DVD-ROM

~ Optical Drive Two: Lite-On 48x12x48x CD-RW - IDE - Black

~ Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce4 Ti 4600 w/128MB Dual Monitor

~ Video Cooling: KoolMaxx Video Cooling S

~ Sound Card: Sound Blaster® Live! 5.1

~ Network Card: Intel® PRO/100 S Desktop

~ Display One: NEC 19" FE991SB MultiSync

P.S

What do you think of it now that you have it?

thx

send it back right now! I don't mean to bash your comp, but I have heard nothing but bad things (from unbiased sources like consumer reviews and stuff). Almost everyone has problems with them, and they take about 3 weeks to get to their house! I'd cancel the order and build your own. sorry if this is offensive, but just a heads up and my opinion.

Prodj, you have got to be kidding. I have talked to swarms of people who just LOVE their Alienware computers. they have a bulletinboard that I go to occasionally with a friends account ID. they make great computers. congrats. i am actually thinking of getting one of theirs before going off to college. for me, to build one, it was going to cost only about $200 less than they building the same model for me.

I know the problem with that Justin. All of my designed computers are just as expensive as ones I could have someone else do. And I have heard many good reports from gamers I know about their Alienware comps... They never have NEAR the problems I have with mine.

thx for the input fellas. The total price is $2477 (free shipping). I really did want to build my own computer but couldnt for two reasons: i really dont have time to do it and the price, when calculated for very similar specs, was around $200-300 (no including all the shipping)cheaper--i used pricewatch.com. So in the end, it is really not worth it.

300 dollars is alot of money. with that extra 300 you could have added alot more ram, bigger hard drive, or faster processor. and as for the time issue, you can do it in an hour if you're good with that stuff! at least the physical building part, installing the OS and drivers takes the longest.

The only thing I don't like about Alienware is the cases are POS plasic. Other than that, I like them.

Prodj101: A BIG issue is warranty. I build my own systems, but if someone isn't great with computers, or doesn't have parts lying around, having a warranty is a good thing, as in, get parts real quick.

The only thing I don't like about Alienware is the cases are POS plasic. Other than that, I like them.

Prodj101: A BIG issue is warranty. I build my own systems, but if someone isn't great with computers, or doesn't have parts lying around, having a warranty is a good thing, as in, get parts real quick.

Kenratboy,

The alienware cases are actually pretty nice.

The dragon case listed there is virtually the exact same case as the ANTEC SX series if I remember correctly.

If you actually look at most of the cases available right now from most smaller computer manufacturers they are very similar if not the same case.

The warranty is a pretty good reason not to build your own.

The few times my friends had trouble with their alienware cpu's they said the tech support was excellent.

One guy I know had some trouble with his motherboard and they just sent him a newer one along with a faster processor and new RAM.

Peace, Josh

building a computer is much mroe simple than you'd think. I have altered my gateway so much it's not even the same comp anymore. The only thing that remains the same is the mother board. There is actually very little risk in building your own comp. Not alot can go wrong with components as long as you aren't just careless with things like throwing processors against the wall if it doesn't fit right the first time or something. After you put the processor in, everything else is as simple as setting up pro media speakers. Just taking one plug and plugging it into the jack on something else. by no means complicated, and theres plenty of resources online for building your own as well as on this forum (including me), that would help you along the way. Think about having a 3.06 ghz processor.............

if we were to build a comp, which we plan on doing in the next couple months, it will be super fast. we already have some of the parts, like hard drive, graphics card, what not. so, as planned now, we could build a 3.06 ghz P4, with 1 gig RDRAM, 40 gig hard drive, 64 mb Geforce 4, for about 1500. it will be great.

Not bad the choice of components,the only weak point is the out dated,out paced and laggy Ti4600 GF4.I had one,sold one and purchased the ATI Radeon 9700PRO.

Oh and BTW when the Nvidia GF FX finally comes out next year...guess what ATI will have the RV350 ready,DDRII and the works.So...eat your heart out Nvidiots. LOL

In reality I dont push ATI or Nvidia,just what performs best.And when the FX is out I ill get one.Not a problem,I have a $1000US video card fund/year!I always get the latest and greatest.

The Seagate Barracuda IV is a fast,very quiet drive.Very dependable too,as Seagate drives fail the least!Also if you want the fastest drive and one that works(unlike the many Deskstar IBMs that fail)get the Western Digital 80GB 8MBcache.I have two Seagate Barracuda 80GB and two 120GB WD/8MB CACHE drives.The Seagate is more quiet the WD performs better.

Just stay away from Maxtor(using Quantum parts)they have a bad tendency to fail,and dont have any outstanding performance.Warranty service is slow and a waste of time.

Alienware uses quality Antec/Chieftech lookalikes,good cases.

I would say AlienWare build quality computers

Hi,

the only reason why i bought the 4600 Geforce cuz i am planning to get the Fx so i didnt want to waste $$$ on the 9700Pro when i am going to replace it in a few months. I have heard nothing but positive things about Seagate HD. I have an IBM deskstar 40 gig HD that i am planning to put in my Alienware--it has nothing but mp3s--around 20 gigs worth. I never had a single problem but i am aware of deskstar problems--so i am NOW gonna get a another HD--80 gig (maybe 60)Seagate or WD HD.

thx all

You did the right thing going with Alienware. I know a bunch of people that have their PC's and they absolutely love them. When I was on college my roommate got an alienware PC and it was SWEET! I don't know what people are talking about when they say that the cases are plastic. Not the case with this PC. It had about 6 fans in it and the machine ran silky smooth. Did you get the klipsch pro-media with it? I wish I had come cash saved up so I could buy an alienware gaming rig. I have only heard good things about Alienware and until I hear or see anything different I think they are good PC's. Sure building your own is fun too, but then you have to maintain it. Warranties are good so play with it hard when you are under a warranty! 11.gif

Good choice!

RJB