Starting the New Year with a pair of Cornwalls

svberger

Happy New Year all...I've  been away from this forum for awhile, and now I'm back as I get set to welcome a new to me pair of 1977 birch Cornwalls. The previous owner had them for 30 years and stained them honey walnut. I'm getting them from a local friend who I trade gear with often. I've had two other pairs of Cornwall's over the last several years(Verticals and CII's) and for various reasons moved them on. But I kept thinking about them, and when the chance to own these came up, I decided to jump on them. For the time being at  least, they will be driven gently by a McIntosh MC2300 paired with a McIntosh C11 tube preamp. My living room is of medium size, and there is good space to move them up against the front wall and into corners(or as close as possible). Presently using a pair of Allison One speakers in there, but they will be moved to another room with a second system.

One initial question I have is that the caps look to be oil filled. Was Klipsch using these in '77?

So just wanted to say happy to be back, and as always welcome any thoughts/opinions.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Congrats and welcome back!

Yes, pretty sure those are original crossovers. Enjoy and listen for abit before any crossover refresh if you want to.

Thank you!

Yes will listen first. In no hurry to update or modify.

Were Klipsch using oil caps in '77, and do these look like them?

In the future if I wanted to update the crossovers, and buy a new crossover from Crites or ALK, is it as easy as taking out unscrewing the leads from the drivers, removing the old crossover board, installing a new board in it's place and screwing the leads back in? In other words, soldering would not be needed?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, svberger said:

Thank you!

Yes will listen first. In no hurry to update or modify.

Were Klipsch using oil caps in '77, and do these look like them?

In the future if I wanted to update the crossovers, and buy a new crossover from Crites or ALK, is it as easy as taking out unscrewing the leads from the drivers, removing the old crossover board, installing a new board in it's place and screwing the leads back in? In other words, soldering would not be needed?

Yes the capacitors look original. Yes, if you buy new crossover board, that is pretty much it.

There should be a host of crossover advice that will come here. You may recall, alot of opinion surrounds X-Overs.

If those can capacitors are intact with no leaking evident, some keep using them instead of refreshing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Yes the capacitors look original. Yes, if you buy new crossover board, that is pretty much it.

There should be a host of crossover advice that will come here. You may recall, alot of opinion surrounds X-Overs.

If those can capacitors are intact with no leaking evident, some keep using them instead of refreshing.

Thanks again.

So to confirm, by original, you mean they are oil filled? I prefer oil filled from other vintage speakers I've owned in the past for their sound, and also for their durability. But I just wasn't aware that Klipsch had been using them.

I've replaced a crossover board for Forte's that I had years ago, but I couldn't remember is soldering was necessary. And because I lack soldering skills that is an issue. Which is why when I looked at this board it seemed very straightforward but wanted to ask the experts.

• Like 1

Well, nice speakers, but they are gonna suffer from the lack of quality that is obviously your preamp/amplifier. I wouldn’t even hook them up. I’ll take that C11 off your hands and save you a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering. 
Deal? 

• Haha 3

fyi, your Cornwalls started out as Cornwall Decorators Birch Raw and if you can still read the label it should say CD-BR

Decorators came from the factory without grills and you can clearly see the laser logos still attached to the motorboard

previous owner looks to have added the front molding and grills

congrats on your purchase, they look awesome

• Like 1

Beautiful set of speakers, good chance the crossovers are fine , run some test tones at low volume and see if they play the same (within a few db’s or so). Lots of guys would love to have these , especially with the original crossovers .👍

Edited by Tom05
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Budman said:

fyi, your Cornwalls started out as Cornwall Decorators Birch Raw and if you can still read the label it should say CD-BR

Decorators came from the factory without grills and you can clearly see the laser logos still attached to the motorboard

previous owner looks to have added the front molding and grills

congrats on your purchase, they look awesome

Thanks very much!

Yes as you can see the logos are there, as are the serial's etched into the birch. And yes on the CD-BR.

spacer.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

Beautiful set of speakers, good chance the crossovers are fine , run some test tones at low volume and see if they play the same (within a few db’s or so). Lots of guys would love to have these , especially with the original crossovers .👍

Thanks! I will do that. On first listen, they sound fantastic!

spacer.png

• Like 7

I've gone completely mad and ordered a set of MC30's because I keep reading about how great they are. Figure I better just do my own comparisons with the Cornwall's, and then I'll decide what to keep. I may keep them both, and sell off some Mc solid state gear I have. Or sell nothing. Probably better long term investments these days then what I have in the stock market.