Help choosing a stereo receiver for RP-160M speakers

mashman

I Just purchased an Audio Technica AT-LP60XBT turntable, for now I'm just using a bluetooth speaker with this but I want to build up a good system. My first choice for speakers are the RP-160M which have 100W continuous output, and I want to choose a stereo receiver but I'm not really sure what to look for. My current choices are the Yamaha R-N303 which specs 100 W output and retails around $329 and the Cambridge Audio AXR 85 which specs 85W output and retails around $400. But I have no experience with either brand and I'm open to other options in that ~$400 price range. Would either of these do? Are there better brands or receivers? I would like the receiver to have Bluetooth so I can stream from my phone. Thanks for any input

Edited by mashman

• mashman changed the title to Help choosing a stereo receiver for RP-160M speakers
  • 1 year later...

I did a little digging and the two options you are looking at appear to have the most bang for the buck in that price range. Between the pair I would be inclined to lean towards the Yamaha as is has both Bluetooth and WiFi. They are both good makes. In a perfect world you would be able to demo them and decide that way, but as we know audio shops are getting harder to find.

Another to consider is the MARANTZ NR1200, a bit over your budget but the model has been recently discontinued and you could probably find a deal closer to your budget if you looked around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I second the Marantz NR1200. You can get one for $349 at Accessories4less. I have one powering my RP160s and it sounds great. I also have an old Harman Kardon 430 on my Cornwall IVs and it’s great too. I haven’t tried it on the 160s yet but if you don’t want to fool with vintage I understand. The NR1200 is great!