My Jazz Play list�.lately

jazman

Well, to rid us of all this UNFORGIVABLE vitriol over the past couple of days, I thought I'd list what's been spinning the last couple of days:

Teddy Edwards & Houston Person "Horn to Horn" Muse CD (egads!)

Leo Parker "Let Me Tell You 'Bout It" Blue Note LP

Louis Smith "Here Comes Louis Smith" Blue Note LP

Art Pepper "So In Love" Artists's House LP

Jimmy Smith "Cool Blues" Blue Note RVG CD (egads again!!)

Helen Merrill "Clear out of this World" Antilles CD (THREE CDs? YIKES)

Buddy Collette "Man of Many Parts" Conetmporary LP

Jimmy Woods Sextet "Awakening" Contemporary LP

Ray Brown "Some of my Best Friends are Guitarists" Telarc CD (OH NO!!)

Grant Green "Street of Dreams" Blue Note LP

Jackie McLean "Lights Out!" Prestige LP

Kenny Burell "On View at the 5 Spot" Blue Note LP

Tina Brooks "True Blue" Blue Note LP

Ahhhhh! Now, that's better . . . .

Allan,

You're going to force me to take a vacation in SoCal and bring along my reel to reel recorder. Great listening you've been doing. Here's what happened the last two night's.

Elvin Jones "PolyCurrents" Blue Note LP

Horace Silver "doing the thing, the horace silver quintet at the village gate" Blue Note LP

Rahsaan Roland Kirk "Boogie-Woogie String Along For Real" Warner Bros. LP

Charles Mingus "Mingus At Carnegie Hall" Atlantic LP

Ornette Coleman "The Shape of Jazz to Come" Atlantic LP

Frank Morgan w/Cedar Walton Trio "Easy Living" Contemporary LP

Klipsch out.

PS. So much music..so little time!!I need to hit the CA Lottery so I can stay home and spin more vinyl (among other things on my list).

I had the pleasure of seeing Cyrus Chestnut a few years ago at a free outdoor venue in a park.

Also at the same park I was able too see Nicholas Payton, a very talented jazz trumpet player.

The atmosphere of sitting outside under the trees as the sun goes down and the day starts to cool off with some excellent jazz in the air.

Those were some good times and the jazz made it all the better.

Peace, Josh

Okay Edmond,

I've mocked me up a cardboard box the size of a Cornwall.

I'm going to pull the passenger seat out of my Celica.

If the Box fits in the back seat and where the passenger seat is, then I'm driving the Celica down to pick them up.

I don't want to chance it with my pick-up, and the Celi will be a lot nicer drive.

I gotta do what I gotta do.

I'll PM you after I pull the seat and try it.

(It should work, I already measured it out.)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what's spinning lately:

James Moody's Moods (Prestige LP)

Teddy's Ready-- Teddy Edwards (Contemporary LP)

More Swinging Sounds--Shelly Manne and his Men ("Stereo" LP)

Art Pepper-- One September Afternoon (Galaxy LP)

Big John Patton-- Brown Sugar-- (Blue Note LP)

Kenny Dorham-- Una Mas-- (Blue Note LP)

Johnny Coles-- Little Johnny C-- (Blue Note LP)

Helen Merrill -- "The Feeling is Mutual" (Milestone LP)

Bennie Green-- Soul Stirrin (Blue Note LP)

Years ago I bought a Dave Brubeck Quartet LP. One of the cuts featured a nasty time signature for Joe Morello to beat out on drums.

it was an incredible feat given the time signature. Happy New Year all you Klipsch Jazz Fans! =HornEd

HornEd, now you're talkin my language! What was the time signature of that piece? I have been fascinated by music that's not 4/4 or 3/4 for years, and Brubeck, Ellis and Kenton were instrumental (no pun inteneded!) in bringigng odd times to the jazz world. Those of us who grew up in Chicago in the 60s and 70s will remember that WGN's late movie had Take Five as the theme. I really need to increase my Brubeck collection. Every time I try, I end up getting something else though. Lately, i have been getting Don Ellis CDs...I LOVE what he did with time signatures, as well as his attitude about his audience needing to learn to keep up, rather than him not to play too complicated. His liner notes do a lot of explaining of what goes on in his music, and make for very interesting reading. What Ellis had that others didn't was the influence of Eastern music, and that made his compositions even more interesting.

CDs I've been spinning:

Don Ellis

New Ideas (one of his earlier ones with more traditional jazz)

Live at Moterey (not the best recording, originally done on a 4 track, so sonics are limited as is the mix, but the music is HOT)

Live in 3 and 2/3 /4 time (Yeah baby, the title says it!)

Electric Bath (Good stuff here)

Live at Montreux (My newest...looks like he evolved into writing 4/4, but with superimposed times on top of it. I haven't had a chance to digest this yet, but first listen left me wanting to listen again.)

Bill Bruford

He has been around for a long time and has played with prog rock bands like Yes, King Crimson, UK and so on. But in his older age, decided to come back to jazz. He spoke of watching Joe Morello with admiration. Bill's compositions are unique and the feel for odd time signatures is very developed in his music. His latest jazz ventures are with Earthworks, where he is joined by some extremely talented younger European musicians. Among others, I've been spinning these:

Earthworks:

A part, and Yet Apart

The Sound of Surprize

with Ralph Towner and Eddie Gomez:

If Summer Had its Ghosts

Wow! I remember seeing Milcho playing with the Don Ellis Orchestra when I was in high school. He was awesome, but then, I was enamored with the whole group, as I was in the jazz band and we were playing several of the DEO charts. I still have several of them in my music folders, for those times when I just want to put on the record and play along.

I can only envy you!! For seeing DEO and for being able to play! Actually, I do play by ear, but that's another story! As I listen to his live material, I wish I could have experienced that...it must have been extremely exciting, as the excitement is there in the recordings!

AndyKub:

I guess being in the Jazz Band in high school, and playing primarily big jazz band pieces is where I got my love of the likes of Don Ellis, Maynard Ferguson and Buddy Rich. (along with the classic standards) I had seen each many times. (I even rented a Buddy Rich DVD a couple weeks ago - Really a good production and sound).I especially loved the big, long peices like Channel 1 suite from BR, Final Analysis from DEO and McArthur Park from MF.

So, yea, I am lingering in the past a bit, but it is SUCH a NICE place to be.

(of course, those don't fly to well at 10-11pm, so the rotation goes back to the softer, mellower((sp)) jazz, like most above)

Ah yes, Bill Bruford. I have only seen him with YES. I guess the only other drummer I have besides Buddy Rich is Ginger Baker. He has some realy nice jazz recordings, especially with Bill Frisell & Charlie Haden or with the DJQ20. Good Stuff!

Jobman

Latest spinnings;

"'Round About Midnight" Miles Davis, Columbia LP

"a night at the "village vanguard"", Sonny Rollins, Blue Note LP

"Coltrane Plays the Blues", John Coltrane, Atlantic LP

"Caravan", Art Blakey&Jazz Messengers, Riverside LP

"Quintet Reunited", Elvin Jones/McCoy Tyner, Blackhawk LP

"Herbe De L'Oubli", Steve Lacy/Mal Waldron, Hat Music LP

"Gerry Mulligan and the Concert Jazz Band at the Village Vanguard", Gerry Mulligan, Verve LP

BTW, I am using my newly received special order turntable donut mat from tbabb Engineering, so I will also be revisiting most of my last two months of "play lists". At this point I can safely report that I have noticed a more open, relaxed sound when using the donut without the Scouts clamp as opposed to using the clamp with no donut, or placing an LP directy on the platter with no clamp.

Klipsch out.

PS. James Carter due in the area soon to appear at Yoshis in Oakland.

----------------

On 1/29/2003 12:37:00 AM jazman wrote:

Latest spinnings;

"'Round About Midnight" Miles Davis, Columbia LP

"a night at the "village vanguard"", Sonny Rollins, Blue Note LP

"Coltrane Plays the Blues", John Coltrane, Atlantic LP

"Caravan", Art Blakey&Jazz Messengers, Riverside LP

"Quintet Reunited", Elvin Jones/McCoy Tyner, Blackhawk LP

"Herbe De L'Oubli", Steve Lacy/Mal Waldron, Hat Music LP

"Gerry Mulligan and the Concert Jazz Band at the Village Vanguard", Gerry Mulligan, Verve LP

BTW, I am using my newly received special order turntable donut mat from tbabb Engineering, so I will also be revisiting most of my last two months of "play lists". At this point I can safely report that I have noticed a more open, relaxed sound when using the donut without the Scouts clamp as opposed to using the clamp with no donut, or placing an LP directy on the platter with no clamp.

Klipsch out.

PS. James Carter due in the area soon to appear at Yoshis in Oakland.

----------------

Jazman:

I'll be waiting on that review of the new turntable mat, so I will know if I have to make the trek to the Home Depot anytime soon. And that means you are not using the clamp?

Might you be suggesting a group caravan to Yoshi's? Sounds good to me! We know there are more than a few of us here around the greater Bezerkly area.

Jobman

----------------

On 1/29/2003 12:16:09 AM blindman wrote:

"In Full Swing" Mark O'Connor and the _Hot Swing Trio_

----------------

Speaking of going out, I'll be seeing Mark O'Connor and the Hot Swing Trio March 7 at the LBC in Santa Rosa. With this group, O'Connor pays tribute to one of his mentors, Stephane Grappelli. I first saw O'Connor play with the David Grisman Quintet, replacing Tony Rice on guitar (at the ripe old age of 17, I think!). Incredible talent. Have not heard this album, though.

fini

• 1 month later...

How about another music post for a change?

Here's what I've been listening to the last few days:

James Carter "In Carterian Fashion" (Atlantic CD)

The Jazz Messengers at Cafe Bohemia vol. 1 (Blue Note LP)

Big John Patton "Along Came John" (Blue Note LP)

Baby Face Willette "Face to Face" (Blue Note LP)

Lou Donaldson "Here 'Tis" (Blue Note LP)

Sonny Rollins "Plays for Bird" (Prestige LP)

Art Pepper "Roadgame" (Galaxy LP)

Larry Young "Into Somethin'" (Blue Note LP)

Stefon Harris "The Grand Unification Theory" (Blue Note CD)

Reuben Wilson "Love BUg" (Blue Note LP)

Steve Lacy "Soprano Sax" (Prestige LP)

There you go . . .

Bought some new vinyl while up in NoCal at The Analog Room. They are all the same lable, "Eighty-Eights". Recorded over a 4-5 month period in New York and pressed in Japan, I believe.

"Waltz for Debby", Don Friedman Trio

"Urban Grooves", Joe Chambers

"Mad 6", Ravi Coltrane

"Autumn Leaves", The Great Jazz Trio

"Love Letters", Roy Haynes

"So What", Eddie Henderson

"Friendship", Clark Terry & Max Roach

"Live In Tokyo", Marlena Shaw

Only been through them once. Particularly like the Roy Haynes and Terry & Roach albums so far. I know...this is newbie jazz. Give me time to develop my tastes.

Regards,

Chris

SuperBass. Ray Brown & John Clayton, Capri Records, 180gram virgin vinyl limited edition LP.

Ron Carter Quartet, Piccolo, Milestone Records (1977) commercial LP

SuperBass2, Ray Brown, John Clayton & Christian McBride, Telarc SACD

Yeah, Yeah, I know, its all bass players! 5 bass players on 3 recordings. So what.

(I'll give you one guess what one of my "part-time" jobs is)