Prepared to blow Ears away.

Ryklipsch

Just got through reading the other thread.

You have actually had the RSW-15 in your house?

If you buy two Earthquakes, you're going to very disappointed. Two RSW-15's will have much greater output. I read your comments about "bass shooting into the wall" -- but you should know that bass below 80Hz is completely non-directional. It makes no difference. The sub should be placed as designed, per instructions.

The Earthquake uses a class D type amp just like the RSW-15. The FTC rating for the RSW-15 is 650 watts, compared to the 550 of the Earthquake. The Earthquake has one driver in a sealed box. The RSW-15 has a passive radiator, which basically acts as a port - raising sensitivity. The Earthquake weighs 69 lbs. The RSW-15 weighs 85 lbs.

Ignore the hype and don't waste your money.

You have several problems.

1) Your room is big.

2) You own Scalas.

3) Your room is big, and you own Scalas.

Your experience regarding the PSB's probably had more to do with some overlap between the sub and the Scalas due to a combination of the tuning of the boxes and the crossover slopes. It was probably doing a better job of exciting room nodes, but you shouldn't make the mistake of thinking this is what accurate, powerful bass sounds like.

Your Scalas are extremely sensitive, and I can tell you that ANY single sub, and most mediocre dual sub combinations -- is/are going to start compressing long before those Scalas even get warmed up.

There is no argument here -- it's just physics. In your room, with those Scalas, you are going to need four (4) good cube type subs, or a pair of SVS Ultras being pushed by a 1000 class AB watts.

Incidently, you can buy two SVS Ultras with the Samson pro 1000 for almost 1/2 the money of those two Earthquakes.

Thanks dean for your info,I may be wasting my coin going this route.According to many posts i have read concerning svs being so good i may go with them,I think may be i listen to ear to much about all his great subs,I think i will email svs and see what they offer best to go with lascalas,I am looking for a hard hitting reliable sub that i will feel when i am sitting on the other side of my room when i watch movies,But the sub must also play along with tunes.Dual psb's will do this but still not with a tight hard hitting thump in the gut,I know there out there but where.

Ry : Have you investigated Servodrive yet ? The contrabass is a professional belt driven subwoofer system with two active belt driven 15" subwoofers , acoustically coupled to two 18" passive radiators. Expensive, yes. Ouput ? Definately will move lots of air ! Sizing isn't too bad according to pictures. Try www.servodrive.com for more info.

The Servodrive stuff is definitely killer, and if you can afford it -- the Contrabass or Basstech 7's would be incredible. Prices are not listed on the site, so we are probably talking some serious money here.

Tom V of SVS developed the SVS subs initially to drive his Klipsch KLF based HT. I'm quite sure dual Ultra's will more than suffice for the Scalas. $2100 for the pair with the amp, and you will need an outboard crossover if you are not using an HT receiver with internal electonic crossover. The perfect crossover is the HSU research crossover. I'm getting ready to put mine up for sale at $300 if you are interested. It's all Class A, discrete. I currently have the 50Hz chip in mine -- which would be perfect for the Scala.

So, $2500 and you're done with this sub business. Trust me -- SVS is the bomb.

http://store.yahoo.com/hsusubs/highendcrossover.html

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_csultra.htmhttp://www.svsubwoofers.com/'>

DeanG has got it right... Klipsch is famous for its "live" natural sound... and SVS Ultras fit right in that niche. Velo HGS 18 is a servo based sub that packs a punch... but most of the pro-style servo's are better suited to the stage than the living room... and that's something I learned the hard way. But, then again, lots of folks like to distort sound to their taste... and that fits a whole lot of audiophiles and their high end speakers... even in Athens (sorry about that maxg... one of those great "g" Forum folks but with backsliding notions in Greece). -HornEd

PS: For all his gusto, bravado, and concern for burglers... TheEAR(s) has contributed great insights into many different subwoofers... and that kind of advice doesn't come from a pantywaist. I don't care how many speakers of what kind he may have crammed in shoebox room... beyond all the fol-der-ol, this Forum is a lot better because TheEAR(s) can type. However, I do think he would have fewer typos if he used his fingers...2.gif Hmmm, maybe I should try my ears? =HornEd

"Tom Vodhanel said Dual CS-Ultras w/TV-12 driver would be able to outperform the Krell Master Reference."

Right.... I'll believe that when i see it. Same room, same position, don't believe it, do the math, bigger drivers in the krell, more power, better power, larger excursion, we will ignore the price comparison for now, as well as the size and quality advantages.

Krell, smaller enclosure and sealed. Ultra's larger enclosure and ported. Even Krell can't get around Hoffman's Iron law. Below 30hz I have no doubt that a pair of Ultra's could outgun a MRS. Abover 30hz I'm not so sure. Sound quality, well that would be up to the individual's ears as to whether the MRS is better, but I'm also quite confident few would have the expendable cash to feel comfortable saying it's $18,000 better.

Ear what bank account?? LOL,I have a unlimited Visa,Ear money is not a concern to me,Just good equipment.EAR hold your breath I even have air in my new 4500sq house that i just bought.No need for fans,May be u like to try all your subs in my new 40 x32 recroom.I am seriously looking at two contra bass for the corners.And if thats not enough maybe i will fill the other two corners.

EAR i thought i just let you see just one of my other toy's.This is my cobra that i drive on sunny days and take to shows,This baby has been as far as north carolina for shows,It has no problem getting pulled on my uncles stock car trailer with my new chevy truck,LOL,But the cobra is not for sale Sorry. EAR i have no money remember !!2.gif

post-10563-1381924592464_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 1/3/2003 11:01:59 PM Ry wrote:

i can maybe show you that there is always some one better.Oh Ear don't forget i have no money !!
9.gif9.gif
----------------

This proves it, MONEY now equals class.

The more MONEY you have means not only can you buy more stuff, it means you are BETTER.

Peace, Josh

Ry,

Oh dear I am so impressed. You have a car! WOW

You have money! Well flash news I dont sleep under a bridge LOL

This year I will add two large subs,another power amp(probably the six channel monster CinePro)and a Pioneer Elite plasma.And maybe just maybe sell my Spendor FL10's and upgrade to PMC studio monitors.I will sell the Spendors because I have no more room for more speakers!

3.gif