Speaker Wire

cornwaller

In an effort to lessen the anal-retentiveness surrounding this subject and everyones concerns (efforts) to find perfection: Take the back off your Khorns or Cornwalls and look at the wire and connections--See anything special in there? Does form follow function?--or is this just a case of understated elegance?

Cornwaller 6.gif

He has the Designer Series just like I do. It doesnt come with a grill being completely flat across the baffle. The previous owner of mine put on a grill kit available as an option. I think The Lord told him to do it! heh....

cornwall_trim.jpg

Sure wish mine were cherry or walnut. My buddy has offered to do a first rate Cherry veneer job on the whole CW but I havent taken him up on it yet. We'll see....Perhaps a New Year's resolution.

kh

My CW's did not come with a grill. They were, I believe it was called, the "Designer Series". Originally they were special order and arrived totally unfinished. Perhaps Builder could explain better. I'll be looking for another pair this coming year that I can have redone the same color for a HT rig. There will be 2 sets of speaker wire behind the fronts and I'll simply plug in the appropriate amp.

Regards,

Chris

Oops, I see Kelly's was replying as I was typing. Damn he's fast!

PS Did anyone here the one about the new wrestling hold?

There's the Half-Nelson...

...the Full-Nelson...

...and now the Father Nelson

PSS 12 years of Jesuit Catholic School allows me to tell that joke without repercussions....I hope

Mine. The grill cloth is wrapped around and stapled to the back of the front panel. You CAN remove it if you really want to I guess, but then you'd be looking at unfinished plywood on the front of your (my?) beautidul oiled walnut cabinets.

I think all early Cornwalls are thus constructed.

Mobile Homeless

Has nothing to do with the subject, but, Happy New Year to You and Yours and other Forum Members and Theirs.

Huhuru (Freedom)10.gif

My System

Klipsch KLF 20s

Klipsch KLF C-7

Klipsch RS-7s Surrounds

Sub SVS SV20-39PCi

Receiver Yamaha RX-V3300

TV Mitsubishi CS 40509 40 Tube

DVD Sony S560

VCR Toshiba M-65

FM Antenna Terk Pro 50

Wish List:

Pioneer DV-45A, SACD/DVD Audio Player

Your Cornwalls look great Chris! I hope to have a pair someday that can play with my LaScalas. But let's get back on topic about speaker wire. And yes, I understand we are talking about internal wire. So what gauge are we talking about and who is the best venor? Are you using crimp spades or solder?

My New Year project is a pair of DIY CAT5 speaker cables.

Have a safe new year and thanks all for a year of great reading!

I may be missing something, but I though the point was that the internal wire was not super high end quality stuff, so maybe being so anal about the external wire is a little much (but I am the first to say thatI know nothing about the subject)

I will admit that I was surprised when I opened up my heresys and saw crimp connectors instead of soldered and shrink wrapped connections.

Chris

Bought my first unfinished CWs in 1972. I think they were called "decorator finish" at that time. According to my wife .... they were not "decorative". 1974 bought the oiled walnut....sold the unfinished to a friend.

As I understand it, PWK did some degree of research to provide a transparent grill cloth. In my opinion, "transparency" is only achieved with No grill cloth. In 2000 I bought the "72s back from my friend.When demonstratining 4 CWs to the non-believer(Bose Owners), the cloth is off.

Point.... The finished motor board is...DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!