An apology and Question

justin_tx_16

Thanks for the advice.

Like I said, i hate to have to pay $300+ once again because of a POS Sony computer haha. The guy did the data retreival for about $600-1000 off because his son is a friend of mine. I hate to ask him to do it again and not pay full.

One hard drive I know is shot. Sounds like a Japanese khamakazi (love the spelling) propeller plane flying towards an empty cruiser6.gif

The data on that is mostly my OS and programs, most of which I BELIEVE were backed up on my other hard drive. Only time will tell.

I am going to walk into Microcenter with $2400 in hand and see if that does not find my missing computer. It did once before when I was told my 22" MITS Monitor had been sold16.gif. I do hate to carry that much money, maybe a few $100's with lots of $5's in the middle will do for now! That worked to get a limo on short notice hehe. Learning from the best schemer in the world... my older brother.

Hmmmm. So Malcom, elaborate if you will about the purchase of a minor, or rather a purchase BY a minor hehe. Slight slip of the tongue, totally different meaning if you get my drift!

Mike Brown is our family attorney, or is he our accountant?... Either way, he or the other has offered to give some advice, but at a price. $150 an hour, discount since I have shown interest in Intellectual Property Law, his son's forte.

I would like some more information on this including any court cases and histories of it along with congressional bills and whatnot if applicable. This should be presented to me by the end of day tomorrow, any later and 30% will be deducted from your overall grade and this WILL BE ON THE FINAL!

Crikee! School is getting the best of me. Gee willokers how I cannot wait to get out of public high school.

The only part of this computer that has me down is the video card. It is an 64mb nVidia GeForce MX440 w/ TV out. While this is a pretty good card, i was really hoping for a 128mb card. Ofcourse this is something I can always upgrade for the PowerSpec computer is built similar tothe Alienware in that it is a full size MOBO and not some propriety SONY or Compaq board.

Once again i am excited to learn more about this purchasing info Malcom and all else that have an idea about it. it may very well be my saving grace.

And once again I am lucky enough to have an aunt who is a news reporter for our local CBS affiliate. She has offered to combat Circuit City on the air if needed. (heck, that got Expo Home Design Center's attention. If you want to hear a story... that is one to hear. Talk about getting the run around and then giving payback!!!!11.gif )

Thanks again.

What I plan to do with the money I get, if I get any, from my Sony.

1. 18-19" LCD monitor with TV input

2. Syquest or similar backup system

BTW. A friend on the BB has the same Sony i have and has had the same exact problems! yikes!

----------------

On 1/5/2003 12:01:45 AM justin_tx_16 wrote:

The only part of this computer that has me down is the video card. It is an 64mb nVidia GeForce MX440 w/ TV out. While this is a pretty good card, i was really hoping for a 128mb card. Ofcourse this is something I can always upgrade for the PowerSpec computer is built similar tothe Alienware in that it is a full size MOBO and not some propriety SONY or Compaq board.

----------------

Justin, even a proprietary motherboard such as those used in DELL, Compaq, should be able to take a standard AGP graphics card.

An AGP slot is an AGP slot no matter who makes it, the same with PCI or(shudders) ISA.

If the motherbaord has an AGP slot at all you should be able to switch it out, as long as it's not just a built on AGP video controller.

To be honest I've never looked at a Sony computer so I'm not sure what they look like on the inside, I have however been responsible for taking apart and cleaning/upgrading a few hundred DELL computers over the past few years as well as some Compaq and Gareway models.

On a number of these over the years we switched out everything except the motherboards, nowadays the motherboards being one of the only components truly proprietary.

I hope you are able to get all this straightened out without having to resort to the time or expense of going through a lawyer.

This past summer I worked as the assistant in the purchasing office at a local college and we ran into all sorts of difficulties at times but in the end we were always able to get things returned or warrenty work done as needed, you just have to be firm with people.

Remember the people behind the desk aren't usually in charge, I don't know how many times the words "may I speak to a manager" has cleared something up.

Good luck to you man.

Peace, Josh

Justin,

$2200 for what??!!! For a guy with all those emails, mp3's, home network, etc., you would think you would have the sense to pop on the Internet, order some parts, and assemble your computer. Christ, for a grand or so you could build a supreme, ***-kicking machine that didn't break down. I bought my first computer from circuit city back in the mid-eighties. It failed. Their service sucked. I have built every computer I have owned since then. Just not economical or efficient to purchase assembled PC's and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do so.

Well i got the computer, seemed money really does talk.

So far so good, loving the HT technology.

Ok, so now anyone know of some wonderful transfer programs? I need to move over some programs and files fast and easily. Thanks haha.

Crash, started to build my computer but with the 3.06Ghz PIV the price was not that much cheaper along with everything else I have gotten with this machine.

justin : no need to be sorry, hope you can retrieve your hard drive. I crashed mine at work last month and my boss (real computer dude) " CLONED " my hard drive . I dont know how to do this but i guess its not very hard. Let us know how much you lost,if any.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 1/17/2003 9:12:26 AM lancestorm wrote:

----------------

On 1/3/2003 8:13:58 PM Invidiosulus wrote:

It sounds like your motherboard died, if so you should be able to salvage the hard drive with all the data(Illegal music)
2.gif
totaly intact.

Oh, c'mon. I'm sure all his MP3 files were all the totally legal kind
3.gif

----------------

actually, how i read the law, it is legal to receive music as long as it is not being exchanged with other music goods. so i never have my "shared" folder... shared. therefore, TECHNICALLY, they are legal. although I know that would not hold up in court hehe.

in any case, all the music i actually listen to I am buying on CD since my HD600's and Heresy's make <256Kbps MP3's sound like 32Kbps RealAudio...

Even if you are not distributing your mp3's to others they are illegal if you did not pay for them(whether it be from a download service like Liquid audio or a physical copy like a CD).

The way the music laws are written a resturant can not even play music without paying yearly dues to an orginization such as BMI or ASCAP.

I'm not personally getting on you about this but technically they ARE ILLEGAL.

Peace, Josh

Justin -

In terms of your new PC here are some things to consider. I have just finished building the following system:

Dual AMD 2.2 CPU's

200 Gig IDE RAID 5 Disk Space (3 100 GIG IDE Drives + Promise IDE Raid Card)

ATI 9700 Pro

1 GIG RAM

DVD Burner (also burns CD's and plays DVD's)

Cost ~$2000

The Raid 5 will let you lose an entire HD without losing any data. The DVD Burner will let you backup 4.7 GIG on a single disc. These would take care of your data worries for sure. Just wanted to let you know what is out there in the DIY space.

Laters,

Jeff

I wanted the P4 3.06Ghz with HyperThreading and I wanted 200GB of space and I wanted 1.5GB of ram DDRAM and I wanted a 8xAGP video card and I wanted a great sound card and I wanted lots of FireWire and USB 2.0 and I wanted a 16x DVD and 48x CDRW. I already have a DVD Burner that can license DVD's, this is a REAL DVD burner, it is an external SCSI. I also have a 100GB backup system from my dad's "old" Avid. I got all this for $2200 so I don't think I did so bad IMHO.

Who cares about the "stolen" MP3's. I am buying the ones I listen to and deleting the ones I don't, so I am doing what the RIAA wants us to do.