Chorus 2 modded with more efficient woofer?

Bubba_Buoy

7 hours ago, Edgar said:

Also, at the risk of channeling Medwin, remember that capacitance adds in parallel, while resistance divides in parallel. That is to say, for example, two identical capacitors in parallel have twice the capacitance but half the resistance.

The opposite is also true: two identical capacitors in series have half the capacitance and twice the resistance.

So you can almost always find some series/parallel combination that gives you whatever combination of capacitance and ESR that you need.

Do they have to be the same color or, can you vary the color to fine tune the final reality?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 001 said:

"someone will have to pay me to read all of that"...  kidding, but thanks for the pdf file on how crossovers work in general. 

lol, I wasn't singling you out, it was in reference to everything on that particular page - there were several long posts.

Many examples of transfer functions in that document.

"A filter is a circuit whose transfer function, that is the ratio of its output to its input, depends upon frequency."

https://ecstudiosystems.com/discover/textbooks/basic-electronics/filters/transfer-functions/

If your question is "how much", I would say enough to hear it, and everyone has to make up their own mind whether it's an issue for them or not.

• Like 1

Just now, Crankysoldermeister said:

Dude is relentless.

At the risk of veering even more off-topic, I had several PM conversations with Jeff, in which I tried valiantly to get him (1) to stop the personal attacks, and (2) to justify his claims scientifically. (1) would only work for a short time, and (2) didn't work at all.

Off-topic message complete. We now return you to regular programming.

13 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

lol, I wasn't singling you out, it was in reference to everything on that particular page - there were several long posts.

Many examples of transfer functions in that document.

"A filter is a circuit whose transfer function, that is the ratio of its output to its input, depends upon frequency."

https://ecstudiosystems.com/discover/textbooks/basic-electronics/filters/transfer-functions/

If your question is "how much", I would say enough to hear it, and everyone has to make up their own mind whether it's an issue for them or not.

i didnt take it as singled out, my quote was just a LOL to how long that document was,  i had a somehwat long post on another thread asking these questions & you said someone had to pay you to read all of it... LOL

thanks again for the info, i could follow some of it but it didnt directly address the questions ive asked a few times now,  mainly- how much of a voltage curve change is there using the average PP cap like sonicaps from crites, is it measurable or been documented?  what does that change in voltage curve actually do to the average speaker for what we can hear?  is it .10 of a db, .25?  if it is that small is that really a big deal?  will it damage something?   i realize that they may change the original voltage curve, im just not seeing anything about how much &/or what that change actually does to the freq response or db of a speaker.  myself & countless others are very happy with PP caps & they have been for decades.  i realize thats not always easy to pinpoint but the statements suggest it will ruin the sound signature of the speaker, ive never experienced that myself & most others havent either, at least not to the point of ripping out the PP caps. 

the other question is if PP caps are bad & change things, then how about the same type of caps but a different brand.  will using ERSE polyester caps for example be closer to the original ESR & voltage curve or are they bad too?  have other brands of PE caps been compared to stock or jem?  main reason for that questions is cost related & possibly quality,  ERSE stresses some points on why their caps are better than other brands & they cost less than a dollar each for most values.    

i also realize this is a brand specific forum & some members are diehards for originality or that the engineer of the speaker doesnt like when people change the parts from stock, doesnt mean its a bad thing, almost anything can be improved from stock form.  if anyone has ventured outside this forum, its clear to see that all kinds of people prefer changes or different parts made to these speakers & crossovers to improve or dare i say modify the sound.  some places make a living or very good money doing it for decades.. volti, ALK, crites, etc. 

thats basically it, 2 or 3 questions about directly comparing a popular PP cap to originals.  then any info on comparing to the same type of PE caps since most have said PP caps have so much less ESR, most PE caps should be very close i would guess.  i know i can word things a little long sometimes, just trying to be thorough since its easy to misunderstand or overlook the points. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 8:01 PM, Chief bonehead said:

I have answered the question. But one more…..ask me the question and I will try again. 

thanks for offering to explain again, my apologies if i missed the answer in some other threads... i quoted you on the AK2 thread with specific questions but never got a reply... so i will keep it short & copy & paste the jist of the questions from this thread.  

1st was what you said on this thread earlier... how would changing 2 mid/tweet caps hurt the bass in the OPs speakers if they have nothing to do with the woofer itself?  he said the prev owner sold them due to lacking bass & your reply was because he changed caps.  a couple members said it increased brightness in the mids/tweets but that wont make the bass any less, will it?  my experience using PP caps on a few different klipsch including my chorus 2 didnt decrease the bass at all, if anything it was tightened up & a little more pronounced.  just curious how mid/tweet caps will affect bass output like the OP was explaining.

the other 2 main questions i asked in the AK2 thread linked below if you care to read it but it got rather long with all the other replies, i repeated them here when asked about but i tried to avoid that on this thread, although the OP has left the thread after the 1st couple posts then it went off track... but here is the copied questions regarding voltage curve changes from PP caps or PE caps.  i can start a new thread if you prefer.  again, simple explanations the average person can try to understand are all im looking for, like a "voltage curve for dummies" & what that change actually means to what we will (or will not) hear.  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/122634-1986-klipschorn-ak-2/page/2/

>how much of a voltage curve change is there using the average PP cap like sonicaps, is it measurable or ever been documented?  what does that change in voltage curve actually do to the average speaker for what we can hear?  is it .10 of a db, .25? at what freq?  if it is that small is that really a big deal?  will it damage something?   i realize that they may change the original voltage curve, im just not seeing anything about how much &/or what that change actually does to the freq response or db of a speaker.  myself & countless others are very happy with PP caps & they have been for decades.  i realize thats not always easy to pinpoint but the statements suggest it will ruin the sound signature of the speaker, ive never experienced that myself & most others havent either. 

>the other question is if PP caps are bad & change things too much, then how about the same type of stock PE caps but a different brand?  will using ERSE polyester caps for example be closer to the original ESR & voltage curve or are they bad too?  have other brands of PE caps been compared to stock or jem?  main reason for that questions is cost related & possibly quality,  ERSE stresses some points on why their caps are better than other brands & they cost less than a dollar each for most values.  but i understand if you dont want to comment on that, would be nice to know some details of jem caps quality vs others. 

-- after 3+ weeks still no answer to what should be pretty simple capacitor questions.. just the typical ambiguous comments followed by... 

crickets.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:46 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I had the same experience with K Horns not having enough bass in my room.  I bought a Yamaha active x-over on your recommendation and the speakers changed right away with tons of bass once the balance was sorted out in my room. 

Really. !!

Most people do not like my advice. 😀

• Haha 1