Looking for a New Preamp-- What Preamp Are You Using? Especially Interested in Tube Pre's Thanks!

jjptkd

• 1 year later...

I have the 10 Octave LP1R and Parasound Zpre3 preamps and Carver Crimson 275 and M1.5t amps running Polk Audio SRS1.2TLs. All combinations are ghostly quiet. The LP1 is a powerful preamp, with 9:00 volume setting producing sound levels like 1:00 on other preamps. I've read articles indicating preamps have outputs of 4 to 20 volts max. The LP1 specs are 20 volts.

My first preamp was an Adcom GFP1A with all the bells and whistles. I never used tone or balance, and I've cut loose from vinyl, so I went for a minimal preamp. I got the Zpre3 as a backup. No phono, no loudness contour, but balance and tone controls on the remote. I had the M1.5t refurbished and modified recently and it's a big, beautiful beast! The Crimson 275 is a bit more restrained, but has that lovely liquid sound you hear about from tubes. My favorite combination is the LP1 and the M1.5t. The clarity and power create amazing detail and texture.

If you don't mind minimalist, I would highly recommend the LP1. I had never realized preamps had different output levels, but there's no question about it. It makes the rest of the system sing!

I read a quote from Alan Parsons: Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to our music. They use our music to listen to their equipment.

Screenshot_20230705-232755~2.png

Screenshot_20230705-232712~2.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OldCrow said:

My favorite combination is the LP1 and the M1.5t. The clarity and power create amazing detail and texture. If you don't mind minimalist, I would highly recommend the LP1. I had never realized preamps had different output levels, but there's no question about it. It makes the rest of the system sing!

I appreciate the feedback you have some very nice gear! I've been seriously considering having a 1.5t refurbished to a MK-II with all the add-ons as it remains one of my favorite sounding Carver amplifiers. 

I've been jammin' with the M1.5t since it was restored/modded and it sounds like a completely different amplifier! I was snooping around YouTube for reviews and found one by Scott Lowell entitled "Should you buy, refurbish or upgrade vintage Carver audio products?"

He discusses in some detail the nature of the process and it's effect on Carver's transfer function t modification. Bob tweaked various components in his amplifiers to null other highly respected amps. In the case of the 1.5, he nulled a Mark Levinson ML2.

The restoration/mod uses components that are 40 years ahead of the original. Bob's t mod is gone. It is literally a different amplifier and in my opinion a vastly improved one. The clarity, detail, and impact have increased dramatically. I've used this amplifier exclusively since '85 and have a strong sense of before and after.

I had a friend (a strong friend) bring over his Mark Levinson 27.5 100 WPC dual mono amp for a face off. We agreed it was a draw (because he's my friend). Privately, I think the beast whooped'em. Granted, the 1.5 is supposed to be 520 watts now. But our listening levels didn't put a dent in either one of them.

He also recommends two Carver repair centers. I used Nelion Audio and can highly recommend them. Usually, the most you can hope for is a successful repair. In this case, I got way more than I had anticipated!

Here's the link for a 20 minute video:

https://youtu.be/hc1QCDHrDMM?si=QfjwJUObkb1gBvJX

IMG_20231008_070955195.jpg

IMG_20231009_115344376.jpg

• Like 2