NEW to KLIPSCH: and loving it! (rf-7)

hornsandtubes

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Tom what just trying to find a diplomatic way to change the subject, that, or he was using Cary as bait, since Yankee just couldn't handle the Cary 'house sound'.

Hornsandtubes -- yes, we had a fellow on here a few days ago that was quite a character, and we thought maybe he had dived back in with a new moniker.

Yes, this forum is wierd as hell. Opinions are a strong, listening tastes and listening habits are widely diversified. We take jabs at each other and love every minute of it. No one however, takes it seriously.

No reason to bow out, you can come here and swing your ax like everyone else. Actually, there isn't really much of that, and we do have some very good threads.

As far as Kelly (Mobile Homeless) goes...I find your reactions equally strong and emotional. In fact, strong enough to make you leave. Bummer. He's a good guy -- you've misjudged him.

At any rate -- stick around. I think you'll fit right in with us loons.

My initial post here was a jab at the Heritage guys, because the Reference camp here in two channel I think is 3 or 4 people. I was trying to stir things up a little, because it can get interesting. We've had some fantastic debate here between the merits of three-way and two-way, horns and cones -- the whole bit.

I'm actually in the process of trying to square away some things financially so I can get some Cornwalls. I recently landed on some Heresies and was quite pleased with them. I think I will like the Cornwalls, and contrary to an opinion or two regarding their poor perfomance on Rock -- I plan on moving some air with 'em:)

It's all ear candy -

hornsandtubes,

Okay maybe you need a little history here. A few days ago Mobile had a run in with a newbie that had the handle Yankee and he kind of twisted his statements around and after he was called on it he disappeared on us erasing all his posts and even his name. So we have all been waiting for him to arrive under a new name and give us some more free entertainment we figured you were him if indeed you are not we all apologize !!

Craig

Wow listening to all u klipschers argue is funny. I heard from a reliable source that klispch is coming out with a new line at ces or cedia and this will just add to the equation and complicate things even more on what is the best sound.

That was some nice electronica in that first link there Kelly,

But my word what was that in the second link.

No offense but I thought my heresies were going to mold and rot when I started playing that one.

Here is a song that I used to prove to my friend the shortcomings of the loud-media speakers.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/I/n/Invidiosulus/library/blue_man_group_tension.wma

My friend looked at me as if I was trying to kill his PM4.1's

The best part was I had just heard this on John Albright's system with 4 LaScalas and his massive subs.

note, the above link will only be active for a day or two.

Peace, Josh

I actually like "Tension" Enough to download. I can tell you that the typical SET amps would have a seriously hard time with the much intensity COMBINED with complexity and filled space - fast, highly dynamic material like that does not make thy 2A3 friend. But I will be interested to hear it. They tend to do better with stuff with a bit nore space. I am going to burn that on a CD and see how it does just out of curiosity.

kh

sorry to wander in unannounced (and uninvited)...

Just thought I'd mention three favorite deep bass tracks that (I think) haven't come up so far:

Patty Larkin: "Beg to Differ" from "Regrooving the Dream"

Caroline Lavelle: "Dream of Picasso" from "Spirit"

Clapton and King: "3 o'clock Blues" from "Riding with the King"

The bass in the Larkin track (a great song IMHO) is one of those low whumps that isn't even audible on many speakers at Casa Hardy, but most impressive on the Cornwalls. It's one of those low sounds that's sensed more than heard.

Allmusic.com says Caroline Lavelle is "electronica"... I don't know from electronica (this album reminds me more of Enya on steroids), but I know it's a cool song with remarkable droning bass.

The Clapton/King piece is a phenomenal recording and is the official speaker torture test of the nearly-extant "Boston Audio Group" of SET/HE speaker aficionados.

sorry to wander in unannounced (and uninvited)...

Just thought I'd mention three favorite deep bass tracks that (I think) haven't come up so far:

Patty Larkin: "Beg to Differ" from "Regrooving the Dream"

Caroline Lavelle: "Dream of Picasso" from "Spirit"

Clapton and King: "3 o'clock Blues" from "Riding with the King"

The bass in the Larkin track (a great song IMHO) is one of those low whumps that isn't even audible on many speakers at Casa Hardy, but most impressive on the Cornwalls. It's one of those low sounds that's sensed more than heard.

Allmusic.com says Caroline Lavelle is "electronica"... I don't know from electronica (this album reminds me more of Enya on steroids), but I know it's a cool song with remarkable droning bass.

The Clapton/King piece is a phenomenal recording and is the official speaker torture test of the nearly-extant "Boston Audio Group" of SET/HE speaker aficionados.

NOS & Dean: Indeed, I am who I am. I have not posted as any other moniker. I have no reason to do so no matter what any blowhard JERK has to say about it.

My final word on heritage: I like heritage. Unlike what I am reading in places here, they do have obvious flaws. They are not perfect, and do not "blow away" everything. I chose the RF-7. Nothing more to say or argue about.

That being said: initial setup:

I am using Apature pure silver interconnects, and awg 12 ofc speaker cable. I have some Apature silver speaker cable but am staying with the OFC.

Initial impressions:

As I stated before, I have only used stand mounted speakers and slim column type. My last speakers were Soliloquy, for those who care. Very musical and tube friendly.

The RF-7 were initially very stiff, and a bit hard sounding in the treble with a bit of forwardness. I played a variety of Chick Corea, Bela Fleck, and some Dave Weckyl to loosen up the drivers a bit. It was startling to note right off, the unblinking detail, impact and sound pressure level that a few watts could make.

For my room, the HSU sub is helping balance out the treble energy, and give the bass a very deep, tight and musically satisfying foundation. As any other HSU owner can attest, these subs go well with horns. Dr Bruce Edgar recommended the sub with his slimlines .

I did not go with the slimlines because they do not extend much past 16khz rolloff. They also do not have the low end of the RF-7. I could forsee splurging on the TITANS one day. SVS guys: do not use this statement that I have anything against SVS, since it is a similar type sub. The SVS's I looked at all had a 40hz low crossover. I liked the fact HSU can cross over at 30hz, giving me more flexibility to optimize speakers blending with the satellites.

It will have to be at least a week, at least 50 hours of break in before I can evaluate further. But I like what I hear so far.

If *ANYONE* thinks I should have purchased anything different, feel free to send me a certified check or money order covering the item, to include shipping and tax, and then...I'll try it.

Ok hornsandtubes : I'll come back here one last time.

I don't believe anyone acually came out and said you should have bought something else or made a mistake with what you bought. I kind of feel i started this whole b.s match with my first comment. Sorry about that.

You can see by the response of the other members that they all love there klipsch no matter wich model they have. Thats why i like hanging out here, these guys are very passionate about there gear and music. I do believe you are the same.

Lets try a different post later and we'll all start off on a new foot. Let us know how your RF-7'S are breaking in and what kind of music sounds best to you on them .2.gif

Oh my gosh...Yoda might have to repent...I meant recant...9.gif

Hornsandtubes -- I dumped my sub a long time ago. I could just never get good integration with the RF7's no matter what I tried. Actually, the only thing I never tried was a HIGHER crossover point. I was running the SVS 20-39 Plus with the HSU Electronic crossover. I seemed to get the best sound by removing the sub altogether, and just running the RF7's alone. This was when I was running the AE-25 Superamp (push-pull also using KT-88s).

As far as subs go -- conventional wisdom says to get the crossover as low as you can, but recently, I've been wondering about that. I wonder if my problem with integration was more related to the actual CHARACTER of tube amp bass. Bass produced by Solid State, and bass produced by tubes -- sound very different from one another. I now wonder if integration would have been better if I would raised the crossover to say, 100Hz -- taking the tube bass out of the picture for the most part. Maybe better to integrate if there is less to integrate.

Which HSU are you using?

The HSU tube subs are actually designed to be placed next to the listening position, instead of a corner. Have you tried this? I tried it with the SVS, and thought it was worthless.