Article: Dementia vs. Music

billybob

On 11/27/2022 at 6:51 PM, billybob said:

There is some confusion about the treatment. All kinds of misinformation, but, working on it.

Meanwhile, studies on music therapy for a while now. Grains of truth peppered by fake versus, treatments, etc...

There does exist a link with cognition and music from patient's past.

What is the link?  I would guess that people who actually can read music and perform music might have an edge.  Then again, my mother in law was a church choir singer and slid down the dementia track.  It seems there are a lot of variables with this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

What is the link?  I would guess that people who actually can read music and perform music might have an edge.  Then again, my mother in law was a church choir singer and slid down the dementia track.  It seems there are a lot of variables with this.

The mother of a close friend of mine live to her mid-nineties, and died a few years ago.  She'd been a professional keyboard player for many years, but in her later life, dementia badly affected her memory and cognition.  However, once she was sitting at an instrument, it all seemed to come back, and she could play and sing like she was fifty or sixty.  She lived in a long-term care home, as they're called here and now, and she continued to entertain until her last few months, when she was in poor condition.

From all I've read and heard about this, all I can conclude is that we're all different, and aging affects us all in different ways.  Using your brain and living a healthy lifestyle, with good food and activity, helps, but genetics plays a big part, and some of us are luckier, or even much luckier, than others in this regard.  

Play the hand you're dealt, and play it well.  That's the best we can do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

The link seems like a spark of recognition triggered by their past memory. Knowing their history may indicate which music, or even I suppose which instrument, would kindle an emotional or mental response.

It was said that not all respond so, that is a variable.

Or, the key to a response not found over the course of time.

Dementia in my mother affected her in the present where a person repeatedly asks the same question. Example is "Did I take my pills?" At the same time, memories of the far flung past,

as clear as anyone could recall, in great detail.

Yes, different variations appear to be the situation. Maybe even as unique somewhat to the individual.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:33 AM, Fish said:

If I ever forget how to, or why I Rock n Roll, I hope death comes swiftly.....

Well don't you know Rock N Roll will never die??  I am with you on the swift dirt nap if that happens though.

www.dementia.org/music-can-help-dementia-patients

Having seen a loved one go through this.... not good.
  • Like 2