Florida's Battening Down the Hatches

Gilbert

13 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Can't remember the name of the hurricane but in the early 90's there was one that ripped Homestead, FL apart; thought it was a Cat 4 or maybe 5. I kept hearing DeSantis saying there's never been a Cat 5 there, and thought he was mistaken. 

That was Andrew which was a cat 5 with 165mph winds.

My next door neighbors are from Homestead and talk about how much everything was devastated.

• Sad 1

Andrew took most by surprise.

Was a cat 1 or 2, then rapidly stenghthened flattening the Airbase, ripping roofs off, sandblasting cars. So strong that pressure popped rear and front windshields out. Destoyed exotic animal concern, releasing snakes into South Florida.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Emile said:

Correct ... Andrew hit Homestead as a Cat 5. Several other Cat 5's in the Panhandle :( 

Yep and it looked like a giant EF-5 went through. Sucked clean with a few twisted, shredded toothpicks left. Awesome Power.

And I did not overuse that awe word back in the 80s either!

Ian is moving so slow.

This is going to be heartbreaking to see all those places I traversed frequently over that decade being unrecognizable in a few days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Went to mass this evening and said some prayers for everyone down there.

Afterwards I talked with my friend Andy, his daughter is at their house in Port Charlotte, other kids nearby. A text from his brother in-law indicated that his place had probably taken structural damage and water was coming in through the roof.

68CA11B5-0D1B-452D-AF2E-6ABD0AE3462D.thumb.jpeg.f90e7bd9a0c1d8d7a7745de59f01c1fd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Considering the 10+ inches of rain and 65 to 75 mph winds, we did pretty well at my house and did not lose power.  Well the power company turned it off around 2 am and turned it back on around 8:30 am.  Parts of the Central Florida have severe flooding and will take days/weeks to recover from that.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1