Forte IV + Yamaha AS 3200 ?

vargoneti

11 hours ago, vargoneti said:

and what would you recomend in that case ?  just found out yesterday that my brother has in his closet two pristine old Sansui amps , a Sansui au-9500 and a Sansui au-11000 , which he bought  a while ago for unknown reasons to me because they just sit there unused :) . After some quick google searches i found out that those where some pretty top of the line amps back in their time. Anyone tried to pair some Fortes with that kind of old amps ?

Thanks

sansui.jpeg

Yes, you definitely want to try the Sansuis out... after the break-in period.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vargoneti said:

but not so good with the Fortes ? or ?

you better borrow some solidstate amps or tube amps from your local dealer to find out what´s perfect combination for your F IV . If your dealer is a good one, he will do it. The range of amps is so wide in the world market , it´s allways not so easy. And try what @billybob recommended , the vintage Sansui were great amps .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

you better borrow some solidstate amps or tube amps from your local dealer to find out what´s perfect combination for your F IV . If your dealer is a good one, he will do it. The range of amps is so wide in the world market , it´s allways not so easy. And try what @billybob recommended , the vintage Sansui were great amps .

Or he could go with the Klipsch Forum conventional wisdom that all amplifiers sound the same. Then he could just close his eyes and point to one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Bear in mind that the repairs are difficult parts wise 40 years later

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Bear in mind that the repairs are difficult parts wise 40 years later

true but the brother fom   @vargoneti owns the sansui 11000A and will borrow the amp to him till a final solution will be found , of course we don´t know in which technical condition the amps is . 

sansui.thumb.jpg.7e04387967e3ced53ee284f691f5ac46.jpg

19 hours ago, vargoneti said:

and what would you recomend in that case ?  just found out yesterday that my brother has in his closet two pristine old Sansui amps , a Sansui au-9500 and a Sansui au-11000 , which he bought  a while ago for unknown reasons to me because they just sit there unused :) . After some quick google searches i found out that those where some pretty top of the line amps back in their time. Anyone tried to pair some Fortes with that kind of old amps ?

Thanks

sansui.jpeg

Two pristine old Sansuis...

On 12/20/2022 at 5:51 AM, vargoneti said:

Hello and thanks to everyone for the answers. My journey into this HiFi world just started , im a complete noob . I had a impulsive buy two months ago on the Yamaha as701 and a Wharfendale Linton speaker combo. After 2 weeks with the Wharfendale speakers i returned then because i didnt like the sound of them. Got the Klipsch Forte IV recently , but they guys at the store told me the curent amp - the Yamaha as701 is pretty weak for those speakers. After some reading on internet - i saw/read that the Klipsch pairs pretty good with the Yamaha as3200 , thats why i was thinking about it. Im the guy that likes to buy once and after that forget about it , not to upgrade every 1-2 years with some other speakers , amps or other thinks. 

If you guys think that another integrated amp would be better than the as3200 , then please go ahead and suggest one :) Im mostly into rock/hip hop , everything besides classic music.

Thanks !

Vladimir from Romania 

EQ is always an issue in any system or room

The $200-500 solution

Find a high quality 8-10 year old surround system like the Pioneer Elites, Pioneer or Onkyo Integra THX certified surround amps. 100W per ch is plenty. I passed on a 12 year old THX rated Integra the other day for $100, because I simply have no where to put it at this time.  Unit was $1600 new and loaded with the best tech. THX certification means a lot.

You can run direct or use the room auto correct with a microphone to calibrate the system for the speakers and rooms. After running auto correct you can switch between direct and corrected and decide for yourself.

In the better surround systems, the DAC sections are quite good, you can add an external tuner and phono amp if you want them. Some of the DAC chips are a little shrill on the high end, I know my THX rated Pioneer has an attenuation menu specifically for the problem, I turned it down 3 times until the shrill sound was gone.

Lots of interfaces and choices.

If you have read any of the many Forte Threads,

placement is always an issue that has to be worked, but the speakers once they are in the sweet spot are the best sleepers in the industry. A lot of the industry reviewers never had a pair of LaScalas or Fortes in the homes or studios, and were amazed when they received the demo units.

FWIW

My 2 Chanel systems have EQ separates, both sound much better with the EQ on than off.

Since I like the green glow of my Mc gear, I am staying with it, otherwise a used high end surround is a no brainer.

On 12/20/2022 at 4:51 AM, vargoneti said:

Hello and thanks to everyone for the answers. My journey into this HiFi world just started , im a complete noob . I had a impulsive buy two months ago on the Yamaha as701 and a Wharfendale Linton speaker combo. After 2 weeks with the Wharfendale speakers i returned then because i didnt like the sound of them. Got the Klipsch Forte IV recently , but they guys at the store told me the curent amp - the Yamaha as701 is pretty weak for those speakers. After some reading on internet - i saw/read that the Klipsch pairs pretty good with the Yamaha as3200 , thats why i was thinking about it. Im the guy that likes to buy once and after that forget about it , not to upgrade every 1-2 years with some other speakers , amps or other thinks. 

If you guys think that another integrated amp would be better than the as3200 , then please go ahead and suggest one :) Im mostly into rock/hip hop , everything besides classic music.

Thanks !

Vladimir from Romania 

Perhaps it might be best to give the combo some time, you may find it perfectly fine. A few months should do the trick.Those speakers are not hard to drive and Yamaha does make some very nice equipment. The more pressing issue will be experimenting to find the best placement for the speakers themselves. Money doesn't grow on trees.

• Like 1

EDIT: Apologies, I misread your initial post, I mistakenly thought you had the 3200 rather than you were considering one.

I just read some reviews of your amp. I stand by my initial thoughts, this amp gets really good reviews and seems tank solid. I wouldn't rush replacing it.

Class A/B, well built and wired, with more power than you will realistically need. Very important as well are tone controls as well as a phono stage should you decide to get a turntable down the road. Looks like a pretty sweet amp I'd like to hear myself.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/yamaha-s3200-integrated-amplifier

• Like 2

18 hours ago, YK Thom said:

EDIT: Apologies, I misread your initial post, I mistakenly thought you had the 3200 rather than you were considering one.

I just read some reviews of your amp. I stand by my initial thoughts, this amp gets really good reviews and seems tank solid. I wouldn't rush replacing it.

Class A/B, well built and wired, with more power than you will realistically need. Very important as well are tone controls as well as a phono stage should you decide to get a turntable down the road. Looks like a pretty sweet amp I'd like to hear myself.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/yamaha-s3200-integrated-amplifier

hey , yes , i own the as701 - was considering the as3200 because it had some good reviews while being paired with Klipsch speakers. But after opening this thread i actually think getting a good speaker/amp match will be harder than i tought :) 

i guess i will get a few weeks out of the curent setup until i see how the speakers do , then i take in the Sansui's from my brother (he has a very good opinion of them - he used them with diferent german Canton speakers ) for another week or so.  Meantime i am still reading alot of reviews , some people say the Yamaha is to "cold" sounding and i should go towards some people that are warmer (Maranz , Luxman etc) , while some are very approving of the AS3200.  

I found them here at the store , but i dont know if i can return them , if i dont like them , was thinking of testing the as3200 and the Rotel Michi x3 , but well , will see what i can do :)

thanks !

• Like 2

the Michi X3 and the A-S 3200 are great choices , 

The Michi X3 offers 2x the power output vs the A-S 3200 for more headroom , The A-S 3200 is the HIFI sound King , with the most expensive / advanced audio components from Japan  

20 hours ago, YK Thom said:

Perhaps it might be best to give the combo some time, you may find it perfectly fine. A few months should do the trick.Those speakers are not hard to drive and Yamaha does make some very nice equipment. The more pressing issue will be experimenting to find the best placement for the speakers themselves. Money doesn't grow on trees.

Agree, time! 2 new units. Anything practically will sound good with those Fortes.  When back to his system, owner can decide after time has a chance.

The Sansuis should sound awesome. Patience pays off, in this situation.

• Like 1