Is AL to AL-3 or ALK crossover in la scala worth the money?

Hello Klipschland,

I have a pair of 1989 pair of La Scala with the AL crossover. Is the upgrade to the AL-3 worth the 300.00 dollars klipsch wants for the pair. On that note, or is the ALKs at 500.00 a better deal?

I have read the postings on the forum: Two axioms seem to be accepted:

1. AL are really bad crossovers.

2. ALK are very good crossovers.

How about compairing AL3 to ALKs? Please feel free with the comments...Yes money is an issue.

Keep listening!!!

I've had Type AAs, Type ALs and ALKs. The ALs are real stinkers, suitable for parting out. The ALKs are great crossovers. I've been told by Q-man that the ALK and AK-3 (essentially the same as the AL-3) sound much alike. You should be able to get the AL-3 from Klipsch. The choice is down to $$ and your preference.

Where are you? We might be able to hook you up with a listening session. I'll have to pry my ALKs away from my brother.

Thanks John for the post.

It seems that you are saying that the AL-3 for 300.00 are the way to go. At 40% cheaper that the ALKs. Your right about the ALs ....anything over a watt or two and they start to get confused and break up the sound.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently. Im using conrad johnson FETS on the amp and pre. Top of the line rotel cd and MIT cables.

I rewired my Lascala with Audioquest wire. Which did smooth the highs out and a tad better imaging. Not a huge improvement but noticeable. Maybe 5 to 10% improvement.

Currently I am trying to decide between Klipsch lascalas and B&W 804N. The Klipsch keep finding there way back in the system :).....

If your in the FL area email me at philipcar1@hotmail.com or this post if you would like to get together....

Keep listening

Loudisbeautiful,

I have La Scalas and live in Ft. Lauderdale (actually Cooper City/S.W. Broward) but unfortunately I have the Type AL crossovers as well. I you do end up upgrading your crossovers...I'd love to hear a comparison, since I've been considering a change as well.

Dave

DLUngurait@aol.com

I have 2-1/2 pairs of ALKs and they are wonderful. The build quality is superb. They are so beautifully presented they should sit on TOP of the speaker in a glass case (okay, I'm a little nerdy).

You can get the schematics and BOM off of Al's website. If you do build them yourself, DO NOT SKIMP on parts. Quality parts make a world of difference. If you're going to skimp in this area, save the money and don't do it. You'll be disappointed.

Al basically pays himself about $200 for a pair, and in my mind, all the labor and experience in building these is worth it for me to pay someone $200 to do them for me. He gets it right. For me, 12 hours in the basement to produce something that looks homemade is not the way to go. However, if money's tight and you have the game, go for it! It would be fun to boot!

Tiger

My '83 Khorns had AK networks. I was happy with my AK until I did the replaced them last summer with ALKs.

The biggest improvements I noticed were the midrange sounded clearer, more detailed and less megaphone sounding. The bass sounds tighter, more detailed and less boomey.

I decided to pay AL to build them for me. He makes them look as good as they sound.

Since you are fairly new to this forum, you may want to look at the archives if you are serious about upgrading. There was a lot of debate over the ALK vs AA vs A networks last summer.

JM

I have the AL3 in my LS , having try the wondeful type A in my Belle, I have destroyed the AL3 in three minutes and convert it to type A too, If I know it worth some money, I would sell it intact, now I only keep the board and transformer for the type A , and have the rest parts in a bag.

the type A works perfect for both speaker, for the LS, even my nurse and patients can hear the significant improvement , even though they don't know what have I done.

Concerning the cost of the parts for type A, for 30 dollars, you have have reasonable quality beacuse all you need is 13 and 2 mf caps, forget the coils, the bass is more lively.

My type A for the Belle at home is built with western electric tcc and telefunken oil caps, they are great, the cost is still very resonable at below 100.

try yourself.