Klipsch Forte IV front wall treatment

Bob DeRosa

12 hours ago, Bob DeRosa said:

What would be the ideal surface on the wall directly behind a Forte IV? Would it be plain sheet rock, or a bass absorbing panel?

sheetrock with a rigid panel of Styrofoam insulation .

Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately there was one response for bare wall and another for sound absorbing panel so I am still unsure 🫤 

I have read that bass traps on the front corners as well as the front wall are normally the way to go. It’s the passive rear woofer on the Forte that makes me wonder if that wisdom applies.

More responses (with a little discussion) would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Assuming that you have already moved the Fortes out and back from the rear wall and/or the sides if they're in the corner.

They're more dependent on placement with the radiator.

If the decor is barren like some harsh Scandinavian, Oriental or other minimalistic style? Big thick wool rugs are great, real curtains (not sheers) more like canvas can be a big start. `Cause it's not just that wall it's the complete environment!

But if you want to keep the minimalistic the sound absorption panels can get expensive for the cool looking stuff. If you're handy you can make your own, I've seen threads around here discussing that!

Welcome @Bob DeRosa!

Nice choice in speakers... we need pics, lots of pics for even more opinionated responses;)

• Like 2

Keeping the wall directly behind the speaker plain sheetrock makes sense due to the passive radiator. Thanks BillyBob.

I’m in the process of installing sound absorption panels. I just hesitated to place one behind the speaker and it sounds like that is the right call.

Thanks again for the replies 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob DeRosa said:

Keeping the wall directly behind the speaker plain sheetrock makes sense due to the passive radiator. Thanks BillyBob.

I’m in the process of installing sound absorption panels. I just hesitated to place one behind the speaker and it sounds like that is the right call.

Thanks again for the replies 

Yes, if you need help about absorption panels, let the forum know. Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Bob DeRosa said:

Keeping the wall directly behind the speaker plain sheetrock makes sense due to the passive radiator. 

The wall can  be sheetrock ,or  wood including wood panels  ,  even  plaster  ,    

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 4:46 PM, Bob DeRosa said:

What would be the ideal surface on the wall directly behind a Forte IV? Would it be plain sheet rock, or a bass absorbing panel?

Don't you think it would be good to listen to them first in whatever your surroundings are before concluding what you should do? 

On 1/19/2023 at 3:02 PM, veloceleste said:

Hi, 
As a previous owner of Forte III and Chorus II,  I have some experience with this situation. Untreated, my listening room had big problems with bass, regardless of speaker design. Without going into detail, bass traps gave significant improvement, even with the rear passive aimed at them. I would say try the Forte IV in your untreated room first and see how they sound. Work on optimum placement (dialing in the sound to your liking regarding overall response, imaging and soundstage). There is a lot of trial and error involved but well worth the effort. If you find bass too boomy or too weak due to cancelations, bass traps should offer improvement.

Good luck and have fun!

I just built and installed bass traps for the corners as well as the front wall. My experience is like yours in that it made a positive difference. I’m going to build a few more panels for the first reflections and I’ll report back.

• Like 1

Something I found out a few years ago impressed me.

The Super Heresy I had flat out sounded better in the corners of a room with half inch thick pine tongue-in-groove walls compared to the 3/4" inch sheetrock in any other room in the house.

So I'm of the belief that although sheetrock is the norm by and large, real paneling is better for my stereo!