I've been stung! New Tube Amp

JCturboT

Well,after looking at numerous Integrated tube amps for the past couple of months I decided to throw caution to the wind and purchase one...a Manley Stingray.

I really wanted to home audition one but with the local Boston dealer only dealing with Manley on the professional level and the next closest dealer in Connecticut and nothing in stock I decided to purchase one used.

I looked at several others as well-Jolida 801A/Cary SLI-80/CJ Cav-50 as well as several vintage tube amps on e-bay.But,after losing a couple auctions on the vintage variety (Scott LK-150), I just kept coming back to the Stingray.

I don't know if it's the positive reviews on the web,the unique appearance,or what but I was really curious about this amp so I said "what the hell...if I don't like it I can always sell it for what I paid for it" and I really won't know if I like it till I try it on my Klipschorns anyway.

So after a little bargaining with the seller and the agreement to double box with FedEX Express (thanks AndyKub) I was the proud new ower of this unusual amp.

The pictures really don't do this amp justice-it really is a beautiful component,nothing like anything I've had in the past.

I read the entire manual online even before it arrived so I would thoroughly understand everthing about it.The first thing I did after setup was bias the amp.Now I know this is my second tube amp but with Craigs fresh resto of the Scott I never touched that amplifier-I never had to.

Sidenote:

It reminded me of setting the points on my brothers big block Mopars but instead of a feeler guage and a dwell meter it was a screwdriver and a digital multimeter.

After setting the bais to 250mV on all eight output tubes I was now ready to hear this thing.Would it be all looks and no sound?

...to be continued

Jeff

...Out to dry like a load of sheets on the clothes line!

This is sheer madness! 6.gif

The Stingray is phat (as the kids say these days)...its specs are out of this world, and that Anna Marie Manley is a hot lil' dish...meeeooooooww! 11.gif

Yeah, well...it's supposed to be a neat little amp in tradition of the EICO etc. But remember that ole tbabb took one home for three days and preferred the HF-81. So I would predict that beast needs some good NOS tube to get it going. And if you can do without FOUR 6BQ5 per channel and the additional expense, in both cost and grain, then a simple pair of PP EL-84 will do, and vintage at that. Although Eva makes a big deal about tweaking the power supply and HEXFRED rectification etc.

Ulitmately, it might bring some more power to the table but my guess is that it will lack the sublime nature of some of the better vintage 6BQ5 amps up to spec.

Still, it's one hell of a looker and I havent read too much negative about it besides the slight tendency to possible brightness depending. I know ole Jeff is probably rocking out over there.

The EL-84 is one of my favorite tubes.

kh

I replied on a thread not to long ago and mentioned the manley line up. No one even bothered to recognize it .

Did you know the president of manley is a "WOMAN " like i said before hats off to her and her efforts.

Manley is taking on the gaints in ss gear by releasing the "SNAPPER" aimed directly at the " HT MARKET " !!!!!!! The amp falls short of the THX power rating for ht but the people at manley say it has more than enough headroom to keep up.

The funniest thing is the names of there amps " NAMED AFTER FISH "

I have read more than a few articles on manley's gear .

DALE

Guys,

Sorry for the tease-I wanted to spend a couple days with it before making a premature review. I was getting e-mail from several of you about tube amps so I figured I'd let you know I did make a purchase.

One thing this amp screams is quality-from its RCA jacks to it speaker binding post to the machined knobs and feet- its one complete package.

I have to give credit to the company Manley as well. I e-mailed, and called several tube companies over the last couple of months with questions and comments-some answered my questions,some took weeks to comment,and still other have yet to respond. Not good Customer relations.

Not so with Manley-I received prompt response from my e-mails and even e-mailed EveAnna Manley herself who responed to me twice! This from the president herself who advised me the Stingray would be great with Klipschorns.How would she know you ask? She herself ran 50w Manley monos (from which the Stingray was derived) on her Klipschorns.

When I did receive the amp from the seller it was missing the Owners Manual which the seller had lost. Now,although Manley has it available online (smart) I am a Anal kinda guy who has owners manuals for all of his gear so I e-mailed Paul in service and told him of my delima and had a Manual in 3 days.Thats the way I like to be treated.

So I will repost in a couple of days after I lived with it and will give you my honest opinion. But, for now,I am extremely pleased with the way Manley deals with their customers.I don't think I've said that more than a couple of times in my life about a company.

Jeff

JC - Congrats on your Stingray.

I had a weekend with the Stingray as my local dealer had one. I tested it and a Jolida in the same weekend.

It's a heavy beast for sure. It was out of my price range at that time, but it was impressive. Sometime after that trial I got the Eico HF-81. While I didn't compare them side-by-side, I can tell you the little Eico is every bit as musical as the Stingray and at far less cost.

The Stingray is nice unit. I never tested their support, but from what you said, it sounds top notch.

I've been tempted to home trial Manley's phono preamp, but at $7000 I would be afraid I would like it too much and my wife would divorce me.

Congrats again, and please give us a full blown listener review.

- tb

JEFF: eveanna manley has two mono blocks in her bedroom up in the cloths closet, she likes to lay in bed and watch movies.

What a great lady she is, i wish her new ventures all the luck and all but a few reviews i've read on there gear has been very positive.

Hope your happy and let us know after a few dozen hours of listening pleasure what you think of the stingray. I've been talking to another board member (loadedtunes) He posts very little but read everything and he's looking at buying a "SNAPPER" . have to wait and see if he'll jump in with a review as well.

Congrats on your new amp. Dale