Upper corner placement, Heresy - thoughts?

Klipschguy

I am considering placing my Heresy speakers in the upper corners of my room (long wall of 21’ x 16’ with 10’ ceilings). The speakers would be placed upside down about 6”- 8” from the ceiling (from the top edge of the cabinet). They will also be angled down somewhat towards the listener (the shelves will limit how much they can be tipped). 

Do you all have any experience with this configuration?  What should I expect from the stereo image?  Good enough for critical listening? 

I really want to free up my floor space to make a game room/music room. 

Thanks,

Andy

P.S. Doorways prevent the use of Khorns; the space above is what’s available. 

18 minutes ago, Klipschguy said:

P.S. Doorways prevent the use of Khorns; the space above is what’s available. 

It has been known for someone to mount their khorns upside down in ceiling corners...

But, the HIIs... for me that would be too far apart for that size speaker, and too high. Critical listening? Is there a seating area? 

Perhaps I should have pointed out the Heresy speakers are currently sitting on top of a pair of unhooked up Cornwalls (front wall toed in). Cornwalls are great but I need the floor space so Heresys in the upper corners is an idea. But since building shelves is a laborious project, it is better on the front end to know whether or not “upper corner mounting” is a poor (or good) choice of placement. 

I was hoping to get a little feedback from other’s experiences before taking on a carpentry project. 

Has anyone ever tried any pair of Klipsch speakers in an upper corner?

35 minutes ago, Klipschguy said:

Has anyone ever tried any pair of Klipsch speakers in an upper corner?

Not Heresy, but I have my RB75's mounted in the upper corners and they sound fantastic. The imaging is crazy good and bass improved from the corner boundary.

11 ft. ceiling and 22 feet apart, angled down to MLP (11 ft. away)

20 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Not Heresy, but I have my RB75's mounted in the upper corners and they sound fantastic. The imaging is crazy good and bass improved from the corner boundary.

11 ft. ceiling and 22 feet apart, angled down to MLP (11 ft. away)

Thanks TasDom!! 

So you like the stereo image?  I was a bit concerned about the height of the vocalist but it sounds like your experience has been positive. 

Could get alll your friends, park in your spot and let them hold them wherever.  See what ya like.  lol  Something will sort after they're done whining..  Maybe  :)  Take pictures or it didn't happen.  lolol  Would be a classic laffer in time.  Ever thought about flying them?  

I'm thinking Khorns down the road and flying my LS above them in the corners.  IF they'll fit.  Will be close.  :)   Just tossin it out there.

This guy would be the man to ask  @DizRotus  He donated a pair to a local high school's band room.  I think they decided on using the back wall for support but originally I think he wanted to fly them somehow.  Others in here might comment also.  Give it a day or so to "marinate."  You know this place.  :)

• Like 1

I did this same thing, for the same reason.  I had mine on the long wall first.  28' apart.  I really liked it and thought they sounded fantastic when in the sweet spot.  Problem was, in a game room, I was rarely in the sweet spot.  So, I moved them to the short wall (18').  They give a more consistent image across more parts of the room this way, but I still miss what they did with wider spacing!  I kept the horns up top.  I figured the angle was more important for the horn than for the woofer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

This guy would be the man to ask  @DizRotus  He donated a pair to a local high school's band room.  I think they decided on using the back wall for support but originally I think he wanted to fly them somehow.  Others in here might comment also.  Give it a day or so to "marinate."  You know this place.  :)

IIRC, they were on top of cabinets in the band room. That's been awhile though, so I could be mistaken.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tragusa3 said:

I did this same thing, for the same reason.  I had mine on the long wall first.  28' apart.  I really liked it and thought they sounded fantastic when in the sweet spot.  Problem was, in a game room, I was rarely in the sweet spot.  So, I moved them to the short wall (18').  They give a more consistent image across more parts of the room this way, but I still miss what they did with wider spacing!  I kept the horns up top.  I figured the angle was more important for the horn than for the woofer.

Tragusa3,

Thank you for sharing your experience - it helps.  

As an aside: In a social gathering situation (or if I am moving about) I like to run my system in mono so everyone basically hears the same thing around the room. Sadly, many preamps no longer have a mono button. 

• Like 1