Anyone in San Diego are have some Khorns they can demo for me?

Scopeboy

Hello everyone, i recently found some AK4 Khorns that i’d like to buy but problem is I’ve never actually heard before.  I have heard their smaller counterpart in the Heritage line namely the Fortes and heresy’s, but wondered if i need to hear the khorns after falling in love with the sound already.  If anyone has a pair in the san diego area and wouldn’t mind a short audition i would be highly appreciative!  Thanks

@Scopeboy     not all khorns sound the same , depending on the year , the drivers or the crossovers  , it is crucial to  audition the speakers    before buying them  , just to make sure that you like  what you hear ,  no worries , your ears   will tell you if they sound right .or if they do not 

20 minutes ago, OO1 said:

not all khorns sound the same , depends on the year , the drivers and  the crossovers  , it is crucial to  audition the speakers    before buying them  , just to make sure that you like  what you hear 

Good point but....not always necessary if you are careful.  AK4 horns are pretty much all the same assuming they are in good condition.  If they are priced well, drivers can always be replaced if necessary.

Edited by chronometers

Sorry sold mine a couple years back..I'm in Murrieta..but I have UG Jubes. The KHorn (like the Jube) have horn loaded bass. Effortless bass but different than direect radiators. Relatively free of IM distortion. Just sounds better to my ears. With the KHorns you need corners or be willing to build false corners.

Sorry guys, ok.  They are in good shape best I can tell seeing as Ive never seen a pair in person before......lol.  Made in 2000, so verified they have the AK4 crossovers, the problem I have is he cant really demo for me, and I am reluctant given my room layout because of how things are.  I think it would be an easy thing if he had them setup but he doesnt....best I could do is just test that they work.............im very reluctant to do that given how much work its gonna be to get these into my home.  My room is 14" wide by 24 feet long, they have to go on short wall.  Now, I have corners there, well at least along the short wall I have a wall that goes all the way side to side on the 14" width.  The long wall is tricky.  On the left side its semi open, there is a short run of about 28'" that begins from the corner, and then opens to a large living room........Ive been told, no problem, as long as you have something there to bring the bass forward you will be happy.  However, the problem is with seating.  I can move seating up a few feet in either direction, but the position of the speakers as it stands on the short wall seem to fire at an axis of a few feet in front of my listening position.  Only way to have the speakers fire "behind" me which from what I understand is best for imaging, that I cant do unless I move the couch up to almost a "near field" experience............what do you guys think?  I have read so much stuff and maybe thats half the problem, too much information? 

• Like 1

Please ignore the subs, they are going away. I included a second picture, it shows exact outline of the left speaker tucked in corner, the way the front baffle aligns with that width, its firing well in front of me, Id have to tow them out alot to get it to work no?

4274E668-3C5A-4652-B3D8-BECF8361B5F7_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Scopeboy
  • Like 1

I think your room should work out fine.

It’s your money, but — as pointed out earlier — they don’t come on the market all that often. If, after buying them, you decided you didn’t like them you could likely sell them. And the way prices have been going, you might even make a profit.

Of course, it would be prudent to test them to verify that they’re working. If they are, and the price is good, I’d encourage you to buy them. If you don’t you’ll always wonder about what might have been.

That’s the issue with khorns and narrow rooms. They will cross well in front of your listening position and you may or may not be ok with that. I had a pair in a room with a width of 15.5 ft. and I wished for another foot or two of floor space to get the imaging just right. In the end I moved them on. I now have LaScala IIs and they work better for me.

But people have raved about them in smaller rooms than yours, so take my opinion with a grain or two….

6 hours ago, Scopeboy said:

Please ignore the subs, they are going away. I included a second picture, it shows exact outline of the left speaker tucked in corner, the way the front baffle aligns with that width, its firing well in front of me, Id have to tow them out alot to get it to work no?

4274E668-3C5A-4652-B3D8-BECF8361B5F7_1_105_c.jpeg

Paul Klipsch advocated all speakers to be be placed in corners, toed in at 45 degrees, and to fire in front of the listening position to achieve a stable stereo image over a wide area. The Klipschorn does this by design. He would also have advocated a long wall placement, but your 14 foot short wall should suffice. Look up his Dope from Hope paper where he discusses proper speaker placement for the best stereo image. And good luck! 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 1:31 PM, OO1 said:

@Scopeboy     not all khorns sound the same , depending on the year , the drivers or the crossovers  , it is crucial to  audition the speakers    before buying them  , just to make sure that you like  what you hear ,  no worries , your ears   will tell you if they sound right .or if they do not 

I guess You could go to Breast Buy. .. and get some cardboard speakers. 😀

They would actually work pretty well in that room. My room is not too dissimilar but I have an opening further down, another foot or two and its just a small door sized opening, not opening into another room as the rest is essentially sealed. And also have a sofa on the side but its another 2-4ft down yours is a bit closer. Anyone in the middle part there would get good sound though watching general entertainment like TV.

Now as others said with the toe in if they cross just in front of your main seating area you will a stable stereo image. In my case I have mine to cross just a foot or so behind my MLP because I get better point source imaging with movies so I send a little bit of L+R fill to my center Heresy and I get a better sweetspot for music than I would have for straight 2ch anyway.

Bass wise, a sealed cabinet KHorn would work a bit better though, despite them sitting tight in both corners, reason being mostly the left side where the wall ends and opens to the other room and the KHorns with the open bass bins critically use the corner as an acoustic amplifier/extended horn to complete the bass bin. The sealed ones need corners as well but they have more flexibility for rooms like yours.

Granted since it would sit snug though, active room correction or running stereo subwoofers and adjusting for the left side which may likely have a slightly weaker bass response will probably solve any issues that would cause.

If the speakers are in very good cosmetic shape, and the drivers aren't blown or anything doing a brief test, if the price is right I'd buy 'em. You can always sell them if you don't like them.

• Like 1

I am embarrassed to say that I completely missed the fact that the wall from the left corner doesn’t extend out 4 feet. My understanding is that the corners need to extend out uninterrupted for 4 feet for the Klipschorn bass horn to work properly. The couch in the photo negates the right corner as well, if that is where it stays. My apologies. 

34 minutes ago, Kevin S said:

I am embarrassed to say that I completely missed the fact that the wall from the left corner doesn’t extend out 4 feet. My understanding is that the corners need to extend out uninterrupted for 4 feet for the Klipschorn bass horn to work properly. The couch in the photo negates the right corner as well, if that is where it stays. My apologies. 

It’s still a good room for LaScalas. 👍

• Like 1