A Police Scanner, On Your Stereo?!

Peter P.

I use a police scanner for work. I've got one of the fancy new, digital-hear everything scanners. Takes a PhD in

programming to get it to work. I've been playing with it recently as I try to get proficient in programming the thing.

I've got a handheld unit, and the audio isn't that great. So I got the bright idea to see if I could hook it up to

my system. I already have a stereo mini-jack dangling from the system for connecting my iPod, so I jacked

in my scanner and lo' and behold-it works! The scanner's headphone output level isn't that strong so I have

to crank the volume control on my amp.

Anyone else ever do something as nuts as this?

Scanner - 1.jpeg

• Haha 1

Years ago when I was shooting stringing sports and spot news for the local papers I had a scanner running 24/7 for 20 years.  Had all the freqs to the key services etc. so I was there many times right after something happened.  Drove me insane but I learned to dial out the garbage and key on the adrenaline rush hearing those involved.  That's the LAST thing I'd ever put on my system.  lol  If it works for ya have at it though.   😂

• Like 2

• Moderators

No never tried that, but years ago I did get a couple of CB conversation's once, it was automatic nothing was done on my part for sure and it was quite surprising Glad it did not last. 

Can you say 'over modulating'?

Growing up back in the day..had a friend who got tired of his neighbor's CB rig walking all over radio and TV signals in his house so he put a dissecting needle from school through the guys antenna feed line...blew up the guys amps. He couldn't prove it was my friend that did it..and besides he was breaking FCC rules running that much power anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I was a kid I had some portable scanner you could talk into.  I hit the county fair one night w/a buddy and was playin around with it in the car.  Picked up the Sheriff's office commo w/them talkin so I stuck it in my hip pocket and had a lil earplug in.  Yea, it''s workin I'm hearn the crap so I had an idea.  I got on mic and said this is some badge number and there's a fight at the ferris wheel.  So Tom and I stood there and watched every deputy and cop there run to the ferris wheel to find nothing.  I gave 'em about two more workouts watchin them run all over for nothing.  Ya ever see fat old deputies run?  OMG we were dyin laffin.  Then I could see them lookin around so it was time to go.  hahaha  I'd forgotten all about it til the guy mentioned it to me about 25 years later when I saw him at the fair.   😂

• Haha 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, babadono said:

he was breaking FCC rules running that much power anyway.

I herd about that being the problem, I know nothing about CB radios but it made sense. I was told it can even be picked up in the wire going to the speakers if the signal was strong enough ?

20 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

I got on mic and said this is some badge number and there's a fight at the ferris wheel.

I would imagine that would get you in alot of trouble, but I guess it just happen to be on the same frequency and worked.  

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2023 at 3:46 PM, dtel said:

No never tried that, but years ago I did get a couple of CB conversation's once, it was automatic nothing was done on my part for sure and it was quite surprising Glad it did not last. 

In the late '60s trucks leaving the nearby manufacturing plant would come through the audio system at church.  Thankfully, they followed the rules and did not use profanity back then!  It always amused this 10-y.o.

• Haha 2