Maintenance question

Day of days. With our garage enclosed, finished, pretty much all my stuff consolidated in one open spacious area,22’x18’. Everything my friend who died and left me 13 guitars,5 amps, every stomp box and Roland GR55, Roland XP60 work station ( and I inherited a third of entire collection.) And today I finally got my 77 lascalas out of storage. They’ll for me be the cherry on top. I’ve bought the replacement woofers and the plan is to clean speaker cabinets out and later this week I’ll change woofers out and pray crossovers still work. I’m pretty sure my cabinets are spruce and since I used them for PA with several bands I was in 70’s -80’s as well as my home stereo speakers when at home, they are road worn. But the scars are memories for me. I am very happy with what my wife calls  my home studio. Man caves are probably common for most of y’all but this is new to me, to be surrounded by my treasures and Keith’s of 63 years collecting/ playing in bands this is beautiful to me. Back to Lascala cab’s, is Murphy’s oil soap a good cleaner? And what can I use to clean horns?  Any suggestions from the wise? After I’ve cleaned and later sanded cab’s should I wax or use a sealer? Any help through this project would be greatly appreciated. 

Since you made a double post, I'll reply here to get it started. You can edit the other title and say never mind or whatever.

Van you post some pics so we can recommend options on cleaning restoring the LS?

Thank you Ceptorman it goes well with the Vox ac50 combo he left me also. Over 1000 cd and 1/3 are unopened. Everyday I’m checking new stuff out. Some great box sets too. Now if I can get these old lascalas to sound again. Any idea what can clean the horns? It’s like caked on dust. Or the cabinets themselves? I’m trying Murphy’s oil soap and every wipe there’s more grit comes out. Ceptorman do you play? Guitar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 6:06 PM, Kevin cornette said:

................................ I’m pretty sure my cabinets are spruce and ...................................................

I'm new to this site and Klipsch ownership but I do have 30 or so years experience with cabinets: the kitchen variety.

I'm not aware of any grade of spruce plywood suitable for building *any* *good* cabinets.  Spruce is best used for construction although there are grades suitable for *better* construction.  Most likely you will find your LaScala's are made from Baltic Birch like the other, older Klipsch's. The only US plywood I'm aware of that is remotely similar and suitable for cabinets is ApplePly and IMO Baltic Birch is still better.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OO1 said:

ApplePly  is  void free + even on 4 corners    , BB  is yet to catch up in terms of quality control standards   

an absurd statement

ApplyPly is a manufacture of plywood

Baltic Birch is a type of plywood supplied by several lumberyards

• Moderators
On 8/27/2023 at 6:06 PM, Kevin cornette said:

I’ll change woofers out and pray crossovers still work.

Check if woofers are working, if so no reason to change them. Unless blown no reason to change. If crossovers are bad just change out the caps with original values. I would guess all is OK, but new caps would probably improve the sound it did for me.

Cool collection your friend left you, very nice of him to do that.

1 hour ago, Skelt said:

absurd statement

nope ,far from it , ApplePly is a USA made premium equivalent of BB  from  Europe  in various outer veneers , it's a higher quality Birch plywood versus BB being 100% void free /  even on all 4 corners  ,  European  BB can ship with voids and it can be uneven on the corners  

43 minutes ago, Skelt said:

ApplyPly is a manufacture of plywood

It's a brand and a type... made in the northwest U.S. It's birch but not russian/baltic birch.

You can get Baltic birch marine plywood in Raleigh, NC, up to 1" and 4x8 sheets.