Vintage La Scala - modifications and general updating

Scottsman

I didn't think I remembered seeing them. I know that later LaScala's were made from thicker material, but for the clones I built, which were 3/4 inch marine-grade, void-free plywood, the braces helped. Of course, I imagine my construction techniques were not as good as the originals. Had they been, maybe the braces would not have been needed.

Since the pieces for the cabinets  weren't done with CNC machines, the braces would have to be hand fitted, which cost too much in time. Time was money and deemed not worth the cost.

I would love to see an accurate ruler measuring some cabs made with marine ply. Everything would had had to be adjusted for thicker wood. I'm not moving to another state, but 'show me'.

• Haha 1

@82 Cornwalls    Actually, one of the guys in here is from NC and looking for a house in NC.  Hasn't found anything at all in a couple months due to everything selling in a day.  Winter's coming so I invited him to come up and hang til something opens up.  3 bedroom house so have a bedroom open.  lol  Just threw it out there for Marval jokin around since I'm pretty sure he knows the story.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Oh, yeah... appreciate the offer but the wife wouldn't like it a whole lot. Just droppin' in for a visit would work though.

I think you might be onto something.  lol  I somehow don't think I'd want her mad at me.  lol  You get up this way you're always welcome though.  Think you know that already.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1