The sweet spot is 6 feet above my head when sitting in my chair.

RickD

13 hours ago, babadono said:

Are the tweeters side by side with the volti mids or above/below? If side/side there is a left speaker and a right speaker. Have you ever tried swapping the tophats?

Side by Side - Mid tweet

The top hats are currently installed in this  configuration: left speaker is [ Mid - tweeter ] and the right speaker [ tweeter - Mid. ], Greg at Volti  says he personally prefers the tweeters on the outside rather than the inside. It wouldn't take a lot of work to change that, all I have to do is remove the grill frame from the top hat and flip it over. The Volti mid horns are larger than the K55s they replaced taking up about 85 to 90 % of the vertical space of the grill and about 75% of the horizontal axis. The tweeters are mounted to a motor board in a horizontal configuration centered on the mid horn , rather than being mounted  ||. The horizontal mounting of the tweeters would be easy to change simply by rotating the motor board 90 degrees. The tweeters have DE-120 drivers and CNC machined lenses that I purchased from a member of this forum. His name is Dave, don't recall his last name

14 hours ago, OO1 said:

-as it is  , the dispersion pattern  of the top hat  is  above your chair ,  the solution is not to raise but to lower the Mids -HF section  by 1-2 inches , effectively  lowering  the dispersion pattern  to the level of your chair  .

try this , remove the collar , remove the top hat , place the horn + tweeter directly on top of the bass bin ,  is it better ? 

The mid-range is not removeable from the frame, it's integrated into the frame using some type of adhesive. The mid is wood coated with some type of dampening substance. Best I could do is remove the top hat, remove the frame and set the frame on top of the bass bin. I'd have to place some books under the BMS drivers to prevent the assembly from tilting up. I there are two things I can do, flip the top hat frame over so that the tweeters are on the opposites sides of the speakers and rotate the tweeters 90 degrees so the are mounted in a vertical planes as opposed to a horizontal plane as they are now. Flipping the tweeter would be the easiest change to make. I could also give Greg Volti a call and see what he thinks. He designed and built the top hat configuration. 

3 hours ago, RickD said:

. Best I could do is remove the top hat, remove the frame and set the frame on top of the bass bin.

Perfect,   you'd be lowering  the horn/tweeter section by a full 2 inches  

another possible solution is to put the Base Bins closer together ( base is omni directional )  get something to use as a speaker stand and put the top hat portion on both sides of the base bins.  A simple cardboard box could be used for testing . You would have to create a wiring solution but that should not be that difficult. Also it would be easy to test different locations.

Oh Well Good Luck thinking outside the box

Rooms with high ceilings are challenging.  Our livingroom presents a similar issue to what the OP is stating.  In my case I wouldn't say it sounds better upstairs (which is open to the downstairs) but different and not unpleasing.

Basically, I did nothing.  It's a room issue not an equipment issue.  I wasn't going to hang room treatments from my living room ceiling.

• Like 1

Churches  , Clubs  with great sound systems   ,  have high ceilings yet the sound is fabulous   ,   even recording studios   abound  in old churches,with open floor plans , what  really matters is the quality of the construction and the sound system , nothing to do with the Floor plan 

Photo