The sweet spot is 6 feet above my head when sitting in my chair.

RickD

My listening chair is approximately 13ft and centered on my modified Khorns. I've have a 17-18 foot ceiling in my living room and a stairway behind my chair. When I climb the stairs I notice an improvement in sound (detail) when my feet are even with the top of the recliner. Is there a way to bring that sweet spot down to normal listening height? I'm not complaining about the sound I have now but if there is a way to make it better. I am all ears.

• Like 1

Another area to look at is your room and speaker reflection points.

I have La Scala's and in My Room raising the speakers off the floor improves my sound stage a noticeable amount.

My room is 17 wide 22 long with a 14 ft rounded ceiling and I sit 14 feet away from my speakers which are 6 ft + seperated

Suggestion get 4 rubber door stoppers and put them in the back of your speakers and see what happens

Good Luck and Enjoy The Music

• Thanks 1

I say "no". There are too many factors regarding the room that affect the sound. Apparently the OP

prefers the midrange and tweeter to be off-axis to their listening position. And it sounds like they

have hardwood floors. Aiming the speakers toward the floor would produce different reflections.

Pointing the top hat upward, providing the same off-axis sound, might work but would look weird.

Carpeting the room might change the sound to your satisfaction, but I'd recommend experimenting

with space rugs first. Of course that may not be an option for them aesthetically.

You could elevate the entire Klipschorn to result in the same off-axis seating angle as standing on the

stairs but again, that would be an eyesore to some.

I'm wondering why the speakers sound better from above. My ceiling shape is /    | (not to scale or pitch). So as I go up the stairs I have a vertical wall behind me and the sloped wall above the speaks.

19 minutes ago, RickD said:

I'm wondering why the speakers sound better from above. My ceiling shape is /    | (not to scale or pitch). So as I go up the stairs I have a vertical wall behind me and the sloped wall above the speaks.

Could be the reflection from sloped wall. 

5 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I say "no". There are too many factors regarding the room that affect the sound. Apparently the OP

prefers the midrange and tweeter to be off-axis to their listening position. And it sounds like they

have hardwood floors. Aiming the speakers toward the floor would produce different reflections.

Pointing the top hat upward, providing the same off-axis sound, might work but would look weird.

Carpeting the room might change the sound to your satisfaction, but I'd recommend experimenting

with space rugs first. Of course that may not be an option for them aesthetically.

You could elevate the entire Klipschorn to result in the same off-axis seating angle as standing on the

stairs but again, that would be an eyesore to some.

I do have hardwood floors. I have a couple of black dogs so an area rug would only be temporary, It would look like garbage after a few weeks. I know because I spent a few hundred on a large circular rug and it didn't take long before I hauled it to the dump.

Another unrelated problem  I recently solved was when ever a dog or person walked across the living room I occasionally experienced a short burst of static through my system. I solved that problem by installing a eeros Pro + mesh network and plugging my streaming mini pc directly into one of the nodes that sits directly under the amp. No more static. That puzzled me for awhile because the person or dog would be in the middle of the room 8 or 9 feet away from system when the static occurred and not in direct line with the router which is upstairs.

9 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

Could be the reflection from sloped wall. 

I don't think the top hat projects sound up. Could be the large Volti 2" mid range horn and BMS driver. if I recall the volti horn flairs out on all sides and overlaps frequency with the B&C tweeter. So sound would be directed upward from the mid horn. The tweeter also flares in all directions.

43 minutes ago, RickD said:

Maybe the solution is to have a custom collar made of walnut that would tilt the top hat forward.

-as it is  , the dispersion pattern  of the top hat  is  above your chair ,  the solution is not to raise but to lower the Mids -HF section  by 1-2 inches , effectively  lowering  the dispersion pattern  to the level of your chair  .

try this , remove the collar , remove the top hat , place the horn + tweeter directly on top of the bass bin ,  is it better ? 

16 minutes ago, OO1 said:

-as it is  , the dispersion pattern  of the top hat  is  above your chair ,  the solution is not to raise but to lower the Mids -HF section  by 1-2 inches , effectively  lowering  the dispersion pattern  to the level of your chair  .

try this , remove the collar , remove the top hat , place the horn + tweeter directly on top of the bass bin ,  is it better ? 

I assuming that the collar is the wood spacer between the bass bin and the top hat. I would say that my eye level is even with the collar or close to it. I can't remove the mid-horn because it is integrated into the grill frame. The tweeter sits to the side of the mid horn. The best I can do would be to lower the top hat by removing the collar which I think has been done on their current Khorns. Another possibility is to put the top hat on a table next to the bass bin. I like nice sound but I think that would be taking it to the extreme. After I get done with my million other project I may experiment a little with this issue.