buying ki-396

Heritage_Head

I was thinking about going to the 510 on my la scalas, but I think I’m going to just get a pair of 396s instead (and sell the la scalas)… I posted in the garage section that I’m looking for a pair, but I’m also not against buying a set of brand new ones (if I can find a good deal). Any of you know dealer I could call? What do new ones cost these days? 

A little footnote that may or may not be of any significance. Probably not for home use, but I can say from personal experience each time I have increased my amplifier power for a given set of speakers it was immediately noticeable in the bass. Woofers love watts. And the pro stuff loves lots of them.

IMG_2398.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few weeks ago I was able to obtain a pair of KI-396s for a price I believe I could sell them for should I grow tired of them. It was more than I have ever spent on a single audio purchase by a factor of two, which for me isn’t saying much, lol, but it was more than I spent on my last used car.

My first impression was: “Wow, for a speaker that is only supposed to go down to 60Hz there is a ton of bass.” The 60Hz at -3dB figure doesn’t do the 35Hz at -10dB figure any justice. 91dB bass at 35Hz is pretty solid, un EQd. With room gain and a couple dB gain from the simple +/- 5dB bass knob on the NAD C165BEE preamp they pound through an Emotiva XPA2 with 300 watts RMS per channel. Not quite the Klipsch recommended 1200 watts (!), but far from underpowered. I haven’t pushed them to the point where they knock the chess pieces off the board and I like my windows so they still keep the rain out but I am searching for a professional amp… “I got’s to know”.

My immediate second impression was: “Wow, these suckers image like a ______-______!” In the picture below both of my sons, independent of one-another, assumed the La Scala-ish speakers were active. They were as astounded as I was by the wall of sound in front of us. 

The sound stage is WIDE and full and the sweetspot from my tiny 10’ wide x 8’ deep listening triangle is not precise (a good thing), if I move my head from side to side and especially back and forth it’s still sweet.

The 396s also seem very forgiving of poor recordings (masterings), without a doubt these are as FAR from harsh as any of the Klipsch I’ve owned. Dare I say it, verging on “studio sound” - gasp(!)

I’ve owned Chorus 2s until recently and still own KP-301s, I think the 301s are going next (a moment of silence please). And those are both incredible speakers in terms of both performance and value. They are not, however 396s.

I’m still early in the game here, but I hope I never have to choose between my all horn system and these. 

IMG_2370.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, geoff. said:

I’ve owned Chorus 2s until recently and still own KP-301s, I think the 301s are going next (a moment of silence please). And those are both incredible speakers in terms of both performance and value. They are not, however 396s. I’m still early in the game here, but I hope I never have to choose between my all horn system and these. 

The k-510 / 691's are game changers congrats on the new speakers!

Nice!!!!

Eventually, I may end up on the same path.

Hearing them at an outside venue (Klipsch Pilgrimage) , I've put them high on my wish list.

One thing I can't remember was whether or not they were playing on their own or teamed up with a big ole horned sub.

Maybe Roy can remember for me!?!? :)

@Chief bonehead

Thanks

JJ

• Thanks 1