ever criticize an advertiser on avs forum?

minn_male42

I wish I had stumbled onto this thread earlier! I like the AVS forum and have noticed the strong Rocket fan base over there. When I began my speaker search not too long ago, I had a desire to hear them for myself. Alas, as a right-coaster, not too many Rocket systems around here for me to check out.

After my audition at a Tweeters where Klipsch KILLED all others (up to and including Sonus Faber) to my (and my wife's) ears, I wrote Rockets off, figuring they may be great compared to "normal" types of speakers, but also assumed they would fall into the grouping as the Viennas and Sonus Fabers that I heard.

After reading some of the posts on the thread at AVS from experienced Klipsch'ers that BECAME Rocket fans, my desire to at least audition Rockets has been re-kindled. There were claims made there that the Rockets produced all the detail of the Klipsch. I really have to hear that to believe it, but if so, I want to know it!!!!

Anyway, that thread did more to boost the Rocket line than to bash it from what I read. Made me want to look at 'em again. It's a shame the moderator killed it. Y'all were perfect gentlemen over there! I think it's when some of the posts over HERE came to light that they got PO'd.

Kinda fun, anyway! 1.gif

Gordon

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/2/2003 2:10:33 PM Gordon Groff wrote:

I wish I had stumbled onto this thread earlier! I like the AVS forum and have noticed the strong Rocket fan base over there. When I began my speaker search not too long ago, I had a desire to hear them for myself. Alas, as a right-coaster, not too many Rocket systems around here for me to check out.

After my audition at a Tweeters where Klipsch KILLED all others (up to and including Sonus Faber) to my (and my wife's) ears, I wrote Rockets off, figuring they may be great compared to "normal" types of speakers, but also assumed they would fall into the grouping as the Viennas and Sonus Fabers that I heard.

After reading some of the posts on the thread at AVS from experienced Klipsch'ers that BECAME Rocket fans, my desire to at least audition Rockets has been re-kindled. There were claims made there that the Rockets produced all the detail of the Klipsch. I really have to hear that to believe it, but if so, I want to know it!!!!

Anyway, that thread did more to boost the Rocket line than to bash it from what I read. Made me want to look at 'em again. It's a shame the moderator killed it. Y'all were perfect gentlemen over there! I think it's when some of the posts over HERE came to light that they got PO'd.

Kinda fun, anyway!
1.gif

Gordon

----------------

Gordon, I think I can save you a little time. 1.gif The Rockets are much more like the other cone and dome speakers you compared the Klipsch's to than they are like the Klipsch's. If in your opinion the Klipsch's KILLED the Vienna's and Sonus Fabers Tweeter had laying around, then you sir are a Klipschead. 1.gif My advice would be to go forth and enjoy!

----------------

On 2/2/2003 4:11:42 PM bigwally wrote:

----------------

Gordon, I think I can save you a little time. 1.gif The Rockets are much more like the other cone and dome speakers you compared the Klipsch's to than they are like the Klipsch's. If in your opinion the Klipsch's KILLED the Vienna's and Sonus Fabers Tweeter had laying around, then you sir are a Klipschead. 1.gif My advice would be to go forth and enjoy!

----------------

LOL! 1.gif

Thanks, Bigwally! That was my assumption when I dove into Klipschland headfirst. I'm even intending to HornEd an RF-7 to be a center! 9.gif

If I could find a Rocket set somewhere, though, I would give it a fair listen. While I don't have golden ears, I'm fortunate that I've got some source material that has some stuff on it that I KNOW is there and that could only be heard on good quality studio headphones..... until I heard it on a Klipsch system. I think this test would work in almost any listening environment. It was that clear. Incredible!

That's what turned me into a Klipschead! On a subsequent listening test with my wife along just a couple days ago, she could hear the effect of the different microphones (and input chain) used to record her piano music on the Klipsch system. That difference (better detail, more "focused" sound)was plain to hear on the Klipsch, but was not noticable on any other system. If I closed my eyes, I could almost tell which key she hit simply by the stereo spatial imaging of it!

I'm so psyched by the Klipsch sound, I'm gonna blow my HT budget on the audio end and let the video end dangle for a while.

Gordon

Thanks for nod Noz. 9.gif

----------------

On 2/2/2003 6:23:29 PM Gordon Groff wrote:

----------------

On 2/2/2003 4:11:42 PM bigwally wrote:

----------------

Gordon, I think I can save you a little time.
1.gif
The Rockets are much more like the other cone and dome speakers you compared the Klipsch's to than they are like the Klipsch's. If in your opinion the Klipsch's KILLED the Vienna's and Sonus Fabers Tweeter had laying around, then you sir are a Klipschead.
1.gif
My advice would be to go forth and enjoy!

----------------

Hey bigwally aren't ya worried what Mark will say when he sees that? And just as we're gaining some trust. Tell them something like real men buy without listening. Try to stay with the program. 11.gif

LOL! 1.gif

I'm so psyched by the Klipsch sound, I'm gonna blow my HT budget on the audio end and let the video end dangle for a while.

Gordon

----------------

Gordon,

Don't sell the piano for speakers even if you think it sounds just as sweet. 1.gif

----------------

On 2/2/2003 8:10:51 PM NOZ wrote:

Hey everyone,

Is there any way we can get the thread opened back up at AVS? Just a thought, lots of e-mails etc...

I finnaly read through the whole thing and nothing is negative or contradicting in the least.

It was a great thread....

----------------

Hey Noz, they just killed another thread. They not only closed it, they took it off the forum. "Beware of online speaker companies that hype their products in forums - in the Speakers forum of AVS Forum."

I had posted to it (I referred to the Klisch vs. Rocket thread in a positive way like you mentioned above) and when I got email notification that someone else had posted, the link was dead. I went back to look for it, not there. I emailed the moderator, and he said it had been removed. Maybe I'm a bad boy now or one of the subsequent posts was the culprit. Sheesh! Touchy. At least they did not unsubscribe me. I'm not used to being the bad boy.11.gif

Anyway, I know it's not on-topic, but how do you like your Infocus 350???

I'm fantasizing about skipping the RPTV step and going straight to FPTV.

Gordon

----------------

On 2/2/2003 8:09:14 PM TinHere wrote:

----------------

Gordon,

Don't sell the piano for speakers even if you think it sounds just as sweet.
1.gif

----------------

No way TinHear! There is no sound system or recording system that can simulate the sound of that big grand in our living room!!! At least, none that I've heard!1.gif

Gordon

Gordon

Yes by all means look at Front instead of Rear. That is what I did, it is great having a 65" x 120" screen and the costs are so reasonable.

Actually the AVS forum is probably the best place to get projector info. It was very valuable for me to do my research last summer when I finished my HT (so far)!!!! Face it, it is never finished.

I think you are also doing the right thing spending more on your audio and doing the match accross the front. good call.

When people see my HT they first comment on the size of the screen. After the show the talk is all about the amazing sound.

Good luck with the project.

JM

Gordon, I agree with BigWally. I think you'll like the Klipsch sound more than the Rockets if you preferred them to those other brands you auditioned. However, you can't go wrong by using www.audioenvy.com to see if there happens to be someone in your neck of the woods who owns a pair of the Rockets.

--My real name is Steve

----------------

On 2/2/2003 9:11:42 PM NOZ wrote:

Hi Gordon,

Such a shame, it was a great thread.

GG: Yes it was!

As for the infocus 350, it is great. Not quite up to par with the screenplay 110, but close.

GG:I'm going to have to spend some time over at AVS sorting out projector options. Thanks.

The only downfall is there is no HDTV direct input, you have to do it through a computer.

GG: Not an issue for me at the moment. I'm simply looking for the FPTV for DVD material at this point. Will probably stick with our old 27" for TV programming for a while. I'm shooting my HDTV budget on audio!1.gif I am probably going to run conponent video to the projector and get a Denon 3803 so I can run other sources up there as well when I get a round tuit.

Gordon

----------------

On 2/2/2003 9:29:11 PM NOZ wrote:

Gordon,

The thread is still there. Page 5. Can someone copy it so it doesn't dissapear forever.

I'd do it, but I have no clue how to.

----------------

Yes, the Klipsch vs. Rocket thread is still there, but they took off the "Beware of online speaker companies that hype their products in forums - in the Speakers forum of AVS Forum." Thread.

I suppose one could cut and paste the entire K vs R thread into a Word Doc, if you wanted to. It was a very good thread! Don't know why they got offended.

Gordon

----------------

On 2/2/2003 10:15:08 PM j-malotky wrote:

Gordon

Yes by all means look at Front instead of Rear. That is what I did, it is great having a 65" x 120" screen and the costs are so reasonable.

GG: Cool!!!

Actually the AVS forum is probably the best place to get projector info. It was very valuable for me to do my research last summer when I finished my HT (so far)!!!! Face it, it is never finished.

I think you are also doing the right thing spending more on your audio and doing the match accross the front. good call.

GG: Thanks. I hope so. I tried to glean what I could from this forum. Things that made sense to me, anyway. I also feel that the audio part of HT is probably the heart of it and the thing to get right first.

When people see my HT they first comment on the size of the screen. After the show the talk is all about the amazing sound.

GG: Very Cool!!!

Good luck with the project.

JM

----------------

Thanks!

How do you like your

Screen: 65"x120" DaLite Grey and

Projector: Sharp PG-M20X

combo?

You've got some setup there, JM!!! What PJ would you recommend in the, say, <$3K range?

Gordon

----------------

On 2/2/2003 10:40:52 PM NotSoHorny wrote:

Gordon, I agree with BigWally. I think you'll like the Klipsch sound more than the Rockets if you preferred them to those other brands you auditioned. However, you can't go wrong by using www.audioenvy.com to see if there happens to be someone in your neck of the woods who owns a pair of the Rockets.

--My real name is Steve

----------------

Hi Steve (the Notsohorny w/the lady's picture threw me at first)1.gif

I checked audioenvy and no one is closer than about 90 miles. Still a possibility, but not sure I could talk myself (and wife) into a long day-trip for it. I still submitted to the two that showed up in that range. I am agreeing with what all you guys are saying and assume that the Rockets, while good, maybe great, produce similar fare to other high-end "conventionally voiced" speakers. That Klipsch detail has my tongue hanging out! 3.gif

Gordon