ever criticize an advertiser on avs forum?

minn_male42

Hi Guys,

I enjoyed your foray over to AVS yesterday. I figured from the beginning you had something up your sleeves, but it was all good fun. It was kind of like West Side Story, but I'm not sure who got the girl. 1.gif

You're welcome on our turf anytime.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda disapointed in the mods over there at avs for closing the thread15.gif

However I am still kinda curious about the rockets so I will likely be lurking and searching the old posts over there.

Right now I'm busy listening to music(imagine that), I just got a Leo Kottke album and his guitar playing is incredible.

Enjoy the music 16.gif

Peace, Josh

Well let's see where we stand.

The AVS member above has called us trolls, i.e., they resort to childish name calling which is something I never did on their forum.

AVS now censors us by locking the thread which is exactly what started this situation. There is a strong tradition against censorship in civilized societies.

Our discuss on their forum was kept to the merits of the speakers which is not what they did on our forum. I did gain some genuine respect for the Rockets even though I will never buy them.

One very interesting situation arose on the AVS forum. AVS member Tom_Bombadil ran a survey of speaker preferences. Rockets score typically runs about 25%. Their share of the actual market is, I supect, less than 1%. Someone (not Tom) on AVS may be "cooking the books" on the survey it would appear. Take a look at the survey results. Make up your own mind as to the likelyhood that the survey and Rocket threads are not being boosted by someone. I do not mean to imply in any way that the speaker company has anything to do with it.

I am genuinely sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings at AVS. That said, their forum obviously has its own problems.

Bill

AVS has closed the speaker polls as well as the thread that started this. When the post below started a thread protesting the censorship, the AVS preomptly closed the anti-censorship thread.

Does the post below deserve to have the thread closed?

"I was going to PM this thought, but I want to get other peoples opinions also.

As a HT newbie, I did what I thought was best. Before buying anything I joined a few HT forums so I can learn all I can about products. The first thing I am looking at is speakers. So I go to the speaker section and read up on everything. As I begin to get accustomed to how the sites work, I realize that I learn an incredible amount from threads titled "speaker x vs. speaker y". I have learned to stay away from Bose, have learned that Klipsch and Axiom are bright, Rockets and Dahlquist are laid back, and Paradigms are in between. ( I mention those brands because those are the ones I am looking at.) I also learned how different amps/receivers can also affect the sounds. These "brand 1 vs. brand 2" threads have taught me about overall characteristics of speakers that I cannot audition in person, but I can listen to speakers with similar characteristics to get an idea of the type of sound and whether the speaker I cannot audition would agree with the type of sound I have a preference for. As a matter of fact, these threads have me almost convinced to buy my entire system by mail order (Dahlquist, Outlaw, SVS).

But now I see that many of the threads I have been closely following have been closed, not because a flame war had started, but because a flame war could start. I agree, once something turns into a war, close the thread. But if they are proceeding along in a civilized manner, why not let them continue? Without these threads, I would have never learned that Brand A speakers sound great until you do an A/B with Brand B and then the Brand A bass seems muddy.

Sorry for ranting for so long, but I guess my whole point is that as someone new to HT, these forums are a great way to learn the basics and what to listen for during auditions. By closing down these threads, you have taken away a great learning tool. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a forum in the first place?"

I seen David Bott's post "Special Posting Rules For This Area .. Your no longer alowd to post topics that have a title of such:

"This vs. That"

"I just bought "blank" and they are the best"

"I have my "blank" on order"

"Another Happy "blank" customer"

I am not trying to sound like a ****, but that is taking it a bit far I think. A little too big brother for me. I will admit the first two topics do envite heated debate, but I have my blank on order and "Another Happy "blank" customer... Good lord CMon.

And to answer your question MrMcGoo, no I don't see any just cause for that post being locked.

Bill,

I didn't call everyone trolls and if that's how it came accross it wasn't what I meant. The name calling comment was for something I misinterpreted here talking to mOOn and said I was wrong about. Only one poster from here was criticized for their conduct over there. The prank/discussion would probably still be going on if this thread wasn't seen and everyone would be sharing their knowledge and having a good time whatever their motivations.

I don't like to see threads closed but apparently the administrator made the decision to do so. Like mOOn said he also locked some other threads and posted some new posting rules specific to the speaker forum. I can only guess the administrator wants to avoid controversy. Personally, I think there is usually more to learn from controversy than back patting, as long as it remains civil and talks to the issues and not the posters. A speaker forum without comparisons? I wonder how that will work.

When all is said and done, forums are pretty much the same with the same occasional problems. I think the reaction here bears that out. All but one from here was a gentleman during the visits, and the "misbehaving" was before the crew from here showed up, yet some here think they were dissed. I don't know who is happy the thread was closed. I think what Russ said here is pretty indicative of how many people feel about the people that stopped by there. He is a frequent poster.

Thanks for having a place where I can air my feelings and read the opinions of others. That is why I spend WAAAAAY tooo much time on line. The good news is I can listen to music at the same time. I didn't come back to offend and apologize if I did, and for the long ramble.

TINHERE: I olny have one thing to say to you right now !!!

Your more than welcome on this board , and feel free to bring up any topic that comes to mind. We chat about whatever happens to come up, audio related or not.

I've olny ever seen one post removed from this board, that was up in 2 channel forum. The olny reason was one newbie got personal and carried away with the insults.

You don't have to own klipsch speakers to post here, just a love for the hobby and the music.

DALE

----------------

On 1/30/2003 9:11:53 PM m00n wrote:

I seen David Bott's post "
Special Posting Rules For This Area
.. Your no longer alowd to post topics that have a title of such:

"This vs. That"

"I just bought "blank" and they are the best"

"I have my "blank" on order"

"Another Happy "blank" customer"

I am not trying to sound like a ****, but that is taking it a bit far I think. A little too big brother for me. I will admit the first two topics do envite heated debate, but
I have my blank on order
and "
Another Happy "blank" customer
... Good lord CMon.

And to answer your question MrMcGoo, no I don't see any just cause for that post being locked.

----------------

m00n,

i absolutely agree with you...the mod has definitely over-reacted IMHO. based on the new rules, there won't be much to discuss. too bad because i'm sure this i going to discourage lots of folks from visiting and staying in the future...

----------------

On 1/30/2003 8:21:10 PM MrMcGoo wrote: ...One very interesting situation arose on the AVS forum. AVS member Tom_Bombadil ran a survey of speaker preferences. Rockets score typically runs about 25%. Their share of the actual market is, I supect, less than 1%. Someone (not Tom) on AVS may be "cooking the books" on the survey it would appear. Take a look at the survey results. Make up your own mind as to the likelyhood that the survey and Rocket threads are not being boosted by someone. I do not mean to imply in any way that the speaker company has anything to do with it.

I am genuinely sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings at AVS. That said, their forum obviously has its own problems.

Bill

----------------

Bill,

You might want to check the facts before accusing anyone of cooking the books...after all, it's not like AVS forum is an accounting firm2.gif...Each member can only vote in a poll ONE time. You can only create one log in from an IP address. Why would anyone have the time, desire or need to inflate a poll for something as insignificant as speakers??? It's not like it will impact the results of a presidential election or anything. IMHO, I don't think the books were cooked. Keep in mind that AVSforum is a VERY Rocket friendly environment and based on that FACT alone, the Rockets would naturally come out on top.

For the record, I do own Rockets and Reference 1 speakers all manufactured by AV123.com BUT I do make it a point to continue to listen to as many other brands as possible and I have nothing against Klipsch speakers. In fact, I am distantly related to you Klipsch'rs as I am an Aragon owner. 1.gif

Well guys, this has been an interesting week.

I find it odd that the threads and polls were closed as well. I only remember two threads being closed here and one user (we all know who) (and he is back) whos profile was locked here and that was after some real bad black eyes and cyber bruses. I am realy beginning to appreciate this forum more after this.

Dale - you and those darn 2 channel guys. I need a new lawn mower really bad this spring, and you have me seriously thinking about replacing my 2CH amps. Or those Khrons on ebay signed by PWK that I cant afford... After some thought, You know what, I hate this place1.gif1.gif

Anyhow, when I have a few minuits, I will probably post a new AVS thread pointing out Klipsch Heritage as a great platform to base a HT on. And point inquiring people I meet there to this forum to learn more about Klipsch. That is if my account is still good there.

JM

Wow, I'm gone for a day and all hell breaks loose. I went to the avs forum and read all of the threads tonight. It is unbelievable one can't express there opinion without having the avs big brother closing the thread just because he/she didn't agree with the topic. I have gotten some useful info from there but I tire of the way people can't discuss or have a bit of fun without being cut off.

Thank you Klipsch for supporting all of us here in this family and valuing all of our feeling, whether true or blind.

----------------

On 1/30/2003 11:00:02 PM j-malotky wrote:

Mad Dog

You have got to hear an all Heritage HT someday. Klipsch in its highest glory.

If you live in the Chicago, Milwaukee area, send me a message if you want to hear mine sometime?

JM

----------------

JM,

Thanks! I would love to. Too bad I'm in Los Angeles. Although right now, i'm quite happy out here since it was a gorgeous 80 degrees F outside this afternoon...sunny and clear! probably snowing and a$$ freezing cold over there, right? 9.gif

----------------

On 1/30/2003 11:22:15 PM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

Wow, I'm gone for a day and all hell breaks loose. I went to the avs forum and read all of the threads tonight. It is unbelievable one can't express there opinion without having the avs big brother closing the thread just because he/she didn't agree with the topic...

----------------

Scooterdog,

Another member with a 'dog name! Cool! Anyways, we have yours truly, RussKon, to solely thank for the closing of all the threads. Like they say, one bad egg is all it takes to ruin it for us all... 8.gif

I'm sure things will loosen up with time...After all, time heals all...and look what time did to the IRON RULE of the country formerly known as the Soviet Union? 2.gif