ever criticize an advertiser on avs forum?

minn_male42

----------------

On 2/2/2003 4:11:42 PM bigwally wrote:

----------------

On 2/2/2003 2:10:33 PM Gordon Groff wrote:

I wish I had stumbled onto this thread earlier! I like the AVS forum and have noticed the strong Rocket fan base over there. When I began my speaker search not too long ago, I had a desire to hear them for myself. Alas, as a right-coaster, not too many Rocket systems around here for me to check out.

After my audition at a Tweeters where Klipsch KILLED all others (up to and including Sonus Faber) to my (and my wife's) ears, I wrote Rockets off, figuring they may be great compared to "normal" types of speakers, but also assumed they would fall into the grouping as the Viennas and Sonus Fabers that I heard.

After reading some of the posts on the thread at AVS from experienced Klipsch'ers that BECAME Rocket fans, my desire to at least audition Rockets has been re-kindled. There were claims made there that the Rockets produced all the detail of the Klipsch. I really have to hear that to believe it, but if so, I want to know it!!!!

Anyway, that thread did more to boost the Rocket line than to bash it from what I read. Made me want to look at 'em again. It's a shame the moderator killed it. Y'all were perfect gentlemen over there! I think it's when some of the posts over HERE came to light that they got PO'd.

Kinda fun, anyway!
1.gif

Gordon

----------------

Gordon, I think I can save you a little time.
1.gif
The Rockets are much more like the other cone and dome speakers you compared the Klipsch's to than they are like the Klipsch's. If in your opinion the Klipsch's KILLED the Vienna's and Sonus Fabers Tweeter had laying around, then you sir are a Klipschead.
1.gif
My advice would be to go forth and enjoy!

----------------

i agree wholeheartedly with bigwally on this. if u felt the Klipsch sounded better to your ears than SF and VA, then u won't be happy w/ the Rockets either. the Rockets are voiced "similarly" to the SF and VA both of which I have auditioned before.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let avman chime in on the subject of avs... i 'signed up' about 4 yrs. ago,when i was trying to get hd via satellite. very informed people and great suggestions..HOWEVER-i have been banned from avs because people on the forum were talking about buying a REALLY hot projector from Japan, with all the return for warranty concerns, and i made contact w/a # of those individuals to let them know that i could give them a better deal WITH a U.S. warranty, AND i would check for dead/stuck pixels. just trying to help out fellow bb'ers who had helped me.i am NOT commisioned, and replaced my existing pj with the sony vpl-hs10,so i was enthusiastic about about other people getting a better deal. WAY to much to go into, but -especially concerning this topic-the moderaters were like the 'Geshtapo' concerning posts about this pj-probably because they didn't have a sponser who sold it.anyway i got banned, and i think they have gotten too big for their britches. there are alot of great and informed people who post there, so i would encourage ?'s to be asked there.just be advised that those who run avs (in my opinion) have lost sight of the purpose of the sight. i have so much to ask and offer, yet i can no longer ask or answer ?'s there.

btw-this is the place i call HOME1.gif

avman.

----------------

On 2/3/2003 9:55:25 PM avman wrote:

let avman chime in on the subject of avs... i 'signed up' about 4 yrs. ago,when i was trying to get hd via satellite. very informed people and great suggestions..HOWEVER-i have been banned from avs because people on the forum were talking about buying a REALLY hot projector from Japan, with all the return for warranty concerns, and i made contact w/a # of those individuals to let them know that i could give them a better deal WITH a U.S. warranty, AND i would check for dead/stuck pixels. just trying to help out fellow bb'ers who had helped me.i am NOT commisioned, and replaced my existing pj with the sony vpl-hs10,so i was enthusiastic about about other people getting a better deal. WAY to much to go into, but -especially concerning this topic-the moderaters were like the 'Geshtapo' concerning posts about this pj-probably because they didn't have a sponser who sold it.anyway i got banned, and i think they have gotten too big for their britches. there are alot of great and informed people who post there, so i would encourage ?'s to be asked there.just be advised that those who run avs (in my opinion) have lost sight of the purpose of the sight. i have so much to ask and offer, yet i can no longer ask or answer ?'s there.

btw-this is the place i call HOME
1.gif

avman.

----------------

avman,

did the mods ever tell u why u were banned? i've been there for over a year and all the folks i am aware of who got banned in the audio sections while i have been reading, have brought it on themselves, Minn_Male42 included. i don't go into the projectors forum so i am not aware of what went down there. u may have been treated unfairly but i would like to know the reason they gave u the boot. as many of us on this forum have found, minn_male42 wasn't as innocent as he painted himself up to be...every story has 2 sides and i always like to get all the info before drawing a conclusion.

AVMAN

I remember your sony threads. That was just in the last 9 months or so if I remember correctly. I thought they were very informative, evan though it was out of my budget. I did not know you were banned.

Gordon

I love my projector / screen combo. When I bought my projector it was just under $2800. Screen was $600. Im sure the price is lower now. The screenplay was not out yet when I bought, but I was considering the Infocus 530. I took mine because it was 1900 lumens, native XGA, 1000:1 contrast and has settings for both 4:3 and 16:9 native. At the time it was one of the only 16:9 projectors under $3K. Having the high power and grey screen makes the darks look good in the daytime. But at night.... OH MAN...

Im sure in the last 6 months a lot more projectors have fallen into this price range and there are a lot more options now.

If you compare costs of DLP vs rear proj, the costs are about the same. The benifit with front projection is the size of the image.

JM

There seems to be a pattern at AVS Forum of censorship. It is not a pretty thing; it is a very sad thing.

Should we, as individuals, do anything about it? My advice is stay away from AVS. Let others know your opinion if you have strong feelings.

We live in an era of political correctness. Political correctness is the McCarthyism of the 21st century. It is the opposite of living in a free society. Some folks (me included) do not always use their freedom responsibly. Does it mean we should give up freedom? Or should we try to work out our differences as reasonable people? End of sermon.

Bill

----------------

1.gif

avman.

----------------

They might have banned you because of this: http://commerce.idmi.net/ecommerce/product_categories.asp?CID=115&key=avscience

It's easy to forget this but AVS is a storefront, first and foremost. (In fact I didn't even know that until I'd been posting there for about a year!) The forums were put in place just as an afterthought to support what they sell. (At least that's how it was at first, maybe not so much anymore.) They might have been upset because you were directly competing with their own products and services. I'm surprised you weren't told why you were banned though.

Hi All! It looks like the Klipsch vs. Rocket is still going on here! Great to see. I believe on of the reasons the thread got closed is that some Rocket lovers did resort to name calling, the mods just happened to delete the posts before closing the thread. I hate to say that I may have been the reason for the thread closing as I reported the thread to the mods after the deleted name calling started. I did have posts in the thread under my name, Alex Prosak. I'm sorry if I ruined the fun over there but I do think things were about to get very nasty.

Alex/Hugh

----------------

On 2/4/2003 2:58:49 PM Hugh Jardon wrote:

Hi All! It looks like the Klipsch vs. Rocket is still going on here! Great to see. I believe on of the reasons the thread got closed is that some Rocket lovers did resort to name calling, the mods just happened to delete the posts before closing the thread. I hate to say that I may have been the reason for the thread closing as I reported the thread to the mods after the deleted name calling started. I did have posts in the thread under my name, Alex Prosak. I'm sorry if I ruined the fun over there but I do think things were about to get very nasty.

Alex/Hugh

----------------

The thread is still there and it's fully intact, warts and all. No deletions were made before the lock.

In internet time, it's all ancient history now.

BTW Hugh Jardon, do you happen to know Heywood Jablomi? 1.gif

bigwally,

Heywood's a good friend of mine.2.gif Okay maybe it wasn't at the very end but just prior or after Steve O posted (I don't remember exactly where), David deleted about 5 or 6 posts of namecalling which were the ones I referred to. There were only up for 10 or 15 minutes before they were deleted and I think everything had got back on track when the thread closed. I have to admit that with the new rules over there, I find myself spending much less time there. I really got a lot out of many of the X vs. Y threads.

Alex/Hugh

----------------

(snip)

i have so much to ask and offer, yet i can no longer ask or answer ?'s there.

1.gif

avman.

----------------

Hey Avman! Sorry I did not get back sooner on this, but I've got a LOT of questions for my HT outside of the Klpsch end (I'm already a Klipsch believer, even though I don't actually OWN any yet!). It would be cool to start a section here on the forum for "other" HT stuff, like screens, projectors, RPTV's, etc. Anyway I'm right now trying to get a screen for my HT and am going to go with a Sony VPL HS-10 PJ. They had a great shootout thread over on AVS where they had a bunch of the latest <$3K projectors all in one place and had a chance to compare 'em. I realized late in the game too, that AVS is basically a storefront (as has been said), so I suppose since they're footing the bills, they have the right to set the rules. Free world and all that. I still think it's a great resource for Newbies like myself to tap into lots of folks experiences. It's got a HUGE subscription base! Think you could resub over there if you wanted to?

It's good to see you here, though! FWIW, I appreciate hanging in this forum more than there too (this is a great group here!!), but a lot of HT subjects are dealt with in greater detail there.

Gordon

i bought the hs-10 xmas eve -man what an exceptional value.i've sold about 40 of them in 3 months. 16:9, wxga 1366x768 resolution, and a good internal video processor/scaler. this pj REALLY looks GREAT w/high definition. i'm using a 106" 16:9 screen.

avman.

• 2 years later...

I was doing a search and ended up reading this thread. OMG, this one is hilarious! [:D]

I'm a new member in that forum and I do get good information here and

there. I've been posting there recently (because of my Sony DVD shift

problem) although I have been reading stuff since last year when I got

my HT system.

I found this poll thread but don't see the rocket speakers there so I'm assuming they fall under "others" (and they misspelled klipsch too).