Got some KI-102-SMA-II for Atmos

MMurg

Good call!  I disconnected the transformer and pulled it out then connected the xover directly to the input cup as you described.  What a difference in efficiency/sensitivity/load on the amp - Aww Hell!  It's much louder!  Looking forward to ceiling mounting my 4 much like you did your 6.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been about three months since I got the KI-102-SMA-II Klipsch Professional “permanent installation” series speakers to uses as Atmos/DTS-X, to upgrade the Jubilee system from 5.0 to 5.0.6.  The upgrade is finally complete.  The last items to do since my last post were to run the speaker wire, purchase a new Atmos/DTS-X processor, a multichannel amplifier, a new equipment rack, and put all that stuff in place.

Since old my equipment rack was full and because of where my equipment rack sits in the bay window area, I could not purchase a wider one.  So, I had to go taller.  About the only option that I could find that had the height and the shelf adjustability that I wanted was the Salamander Archetype.  It also had the advantage of having an option of solid walnut shelves to go with my walnut Jubilee.  I purchased two 3-shelf units and the stacking kit to get the needed height plus an additional 2-shelf unit to get the additional shelves and hardware that I wanted.  It was a pain in the butt threading all those nuts, but I’m pleased with the results.

For the processor, I replaced the Emotiva XMC-1 with the Emotiva RMC-1L.  I mainly did this because I need the functionality of the built-in multichannel parametric EQ for manual room correction and the RMC-1L can directly use the EQ files from the XMC-1.  The interface isn’t the most modern, but I decided that I could live with that to get the exact functionality that I wanted.  However, the sound quality is great, no complaints there.  For the multichannel amp to drive the Atmos speakers, I got an Outlaw Model 7000x.  I have an Outlaw model 5000 in my basement theater system, and it hardly breaks a sweat, so I figured the Outlaw would be a good choice for Atmos speakers.  It’s a great value for the money too.  I also put my Xbox One S from the family room in the system to have a 4K player there.  However, I’ll probably replace that with one of the Reavon players when the funds replenish.

I did the first listen with the Atmos mix of Dark Side of the Moon and the system sounds fantastic.  The KI-102 are great for Atmos speakers.  I then listened to a native Atmos recording, Gabrielli in Venice (https://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/choir/listen-to-the-choir/recordings/1615-gabrieli-venice).  It was recorded in Atmos in the Kings College Chapel.  All the Atmos channels are heavily used reproducing the ambience of the Chapel.  It was the most realistic reproduction of a recording space that I have ever heard.  Thanks to Cory of @Paducah Home Theater for announcing the blowout sale of the KI-102 a few months ago.  You caused me was a bunch of work to get this upgrade done, but I’m very pleased with the results.  Now, I just need to buy a bigger TV for this room.

PXL_20240123_032532380 (Large).jpg

PXL_20240123_032624556 (Large).jpg

PXL_20240123_032742932 (Large).jpg

PXL_20240123_032901809 (Large).jpg

PXL_20240123_032938791 (Large).jpg

• Like 2

I've got to say, at first I was concerned how those big speakers were going to fit in that room. You sir have done a wonderful job executing the task.  I can't mount ceiling speakers in that manner as my ceiling is to low, but it does give some inspiration as to other possibilities other than in ceiling speakers. 

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed seeing this room come together. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

I've got to say, at first I was concerned how those big speakers were going to fit in that room. You sir have done a wonderful job executing the task.  I can't mount ceiling speakers in that manner as my ceiling is to low, but it does give some inspiration as to other possibilities other than in ceiling speakers. 

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed seeing this room come together. 

Thanks.  My ceiling isn't really high enough either, but I didn't let that stop me.  🙂 

• Haha 1

Looks great!  I plan to mount my KI-102s on a 7' ceiling - so even lower.  Did you consider modding the mounting brackets or the way they anchor into the joists so that the overhead pair could rotate and be aimed at the MLP?

Those very different choices of Atmos mixes are exactly two of ones I'll be using for first demos  👍

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Delicious2 said:

Looks great!  I plan to mount my KI-102s on a 7' ceiling - so even lower.  Did you consider modding the mounting brackets or the way they anchor into the joists so that the overhead pair could rotate and be aimed at the MLP?

Those very different choices of Atmos mixes are exactly two of ones I'll be using for first demos  👍

I was really annoyed that the hole spacing between the two outer holes on the bracket was like 15 1/4 inches instead of 16 to match the standard joist spacing.  If it had, I would have rotated the overhead speaker brackets 90°.  I didn't want to try modifying the brackets as the only thing I own to do that is a hand drill.  I also didn't want to be bothered taking them to a machine shop.  Luckily, with my 8' ceiling the current placement works fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

You have built quite the system.  Beautiful.  I think you need a bigger house Mike.  😀

Yeah, me too.  But the prospect of finding a house with an acceptable larger audio room and them moving over 30 years of accumulated crap (I am a pack rat) turns my stomach.  🙂