Ideal distance from (UG) Jubilees and overall positioning

OilyBoy

Hey guys,

i was wondering what your experiences are with listening distance/positioning.

offcourse it depends on the size of your room. 

my listening position with my UG jubs at the moment is 260 cm from the front side of the 402. so dat means about 305cm from the driver (inside of horn)

distance between the jubs is also 260 cm.

i have them set up about 50 cm away from the back and side wall, so no corner placement. (my subs, THTLP are tucked in the corners)

i sit on the couch 320 to 250 cm away to the front wall, and 400cm away from the back wall.

I have not yet started with decorating the room so there is still room for ajustement.

Let me know what you guys prefer and why.

148950798_kerk_first_floor_first_design_20231107_22d798.jpg

148950798-242505345-96199317-1699398347377.png

as a general set of rules... because nothing is ever equal in the real world.

I make my placement measurements CTC (center to center) or 'on axis'.

I prefer my speakers placed as wide as possible (X axis), and while MLP (main listening position... Y axis) might be somewhat foreshortened, it makes for a wider sound stage, which is what I prefer. Currently my personal speakers are 17'ctc apart, and my MLP is 16' on the Y axis.

for me personally, there are some other aspects that I also try and adhere to... I don't like Boundary gain, so I never place my speakers against a boundary layer/wall to the point where I even preferred my Klipschorns AWAY from any wall and I used 'wings' to augment LF extension. I also DO NOT like sitting up against a rear wall where reflections and time arrival issues are experienced.

If I had a small room, I would use a near field layout myself.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

room width 5.6 meters and speaker separation 2.6 meters? So each speaker is out from side wall 1.5 meters? But sounds like you have an equilateral triangle with your MLP also at 2.6 meters. All a little closer than I like to be but.....you have to work with what you've got. Do you have any room treatments to handle the first reflection points? That was a vast improvement in my set up to improve imaging. In fact I probably somewhat over did my room treatments but I am NOT against adding reverb back into the system. Some folks say no way to that being purists and all, not me. After all you are only hearing what some recording "engineer" decided to let you hear.

• Like 1

I might turn the carpet 90 degrees, so that there's less bare floor directly in front of the speakers.  Having a hard reflective surface right in front of the bass horns may cause some "floor bounce", causing early reflections to be received soon after the sound from the bass horns.

However, I'm not an audio engineer.  It could be that no carpet could be thick enough to have any effect on long wavelength bass notes.

On 12/6/2023 at 12:10 PM, babadono said:

room width 5.6 meters and speaker separation 2.6 meters? So each speaker is out from side wall 1.5 meters? But sounds like you have an equilateral triangle with your MLP also at 2.6 meters. All a little closer than I like to be but.....you have to work with what you've got. Do you have any room treatments to handle the first reflection points? That was a vast improvement in my set up to improve imaging. In fact I probably somewhat over did my room treatments but I am NOT against adding reverb back into the system. Some folks say no way to that being purists and all, not me. After all you are only hearing what some recording "engineer" decided to let you hear.

I think there may be a mixup between the centre-to-centre distance and the outside-edge-to-outside edge distance.  There may be somewhat less than 1 metre between the speaker cabinets and the side walls.

That said, why not try moving the speakers right against the side walls?  It should enhance the bass, and may have an effect on the treble as well.  Of course, it's easy for us to suggest that the OP go shifting those heavy speakers in search of optimum sound.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 12:10 PM, Islander said:

I might turn the carpet 90 degrees, so that there's less bare floor directly in front of the speakers.  Having a hard reflective surface right in front of the bass horns may cause some "floor bounce", causing early reflections to be received soon after the sound from the bass horns.

However, I'm not an audio engineer.  It could be that no carpet could be thick enough to have any effect on long wavelength bass notes.

my plan is to buy 2 more small carpets for under each jube.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:16 AM, parlophone1 said:

If this is your actual room layout, than no.

If you can get rid of that table and chairs, than placing the speakers on a long wall might be worth a try.

no can do, This is my man cave but also a recreational/dining/game room. So the table is an important factor. Also now we can  sometimes watch movies or a match while having dinner. I did think about placing them against the long wall and rearrange the whole room but the roof is not symetrical in that position.  i thinks this would not lead to better acoustics, and leave less room for a table.

• Like 1